Forum Member

Default How many saws do you carry?

After having this discussion at shift change after some bad storms rolled through last week, I figured I would bring it here.

On the truck company I work on, we carry a "fire service" chainsaw, while the engine companies carry regular utility saws. For those of you that carry vent saws or the like, do you have another saw for utility work (cutting trees, etc.) or do you just pull out the vent saw?

Not that big of a deal, just wondering how you do it.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

On our "Squad Company" Engine (basically an enhanced engine company with some truck company tools, extra ground ladders, and some extrication equipment) we have:

-One Cutters Edge Chainsaw (with the "Bullet" carbide tooth chain)

-One Partner K950A with a "Warthog" blade

-One Partner K950A with a metal abrasive blade.

We will not cut anything but roofs with the chainsaw listed above.

On our "Special Service" truck (like a small heavy rescue company) we have the same saws as listed above, with the same blades. In addition, for trees and other wood cutting, we have a Stihl 038 Magnum with a 14" bar and a smaller Stihl (cant remember the model number) for smaller stuff.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    On our "Squad Company" Engine (basically an enhanced engine company with some truck company tools, extra ground ladders, and some extrication equipment) we have:

-One Cutters Edge Chainsaw (with the "Bullet" carbide tooth chain)

-One Partner K950A with a "Warthog" blade

-One Partner K950A with a metal abrasive blade.

We will not cut anything but roofs with the chainsaw listed above.

On our "Special Service" truck (like a small heavy rescue company) we have the same saws as listed above, with the same blades. In addition, for trees and other wood cutting, we have a Stihl 038 Magnum with a 14" bar and a smaller Stihl (cant remember the model number) for smaller stuff.
    Thanks for the info. It seems that the dual Partner saw trend is growing, with most people running one setup for metal and another for roofs.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Every service truck carries a chainsaw and a K-12, which are a mix of brands.

That makes 6 chainsaws and 6 K-12's out of 6 stations.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

We normally do not do tree cutting, unless it will help get a person out of a vehicle or some where they may be trapped. Only for extrication operations.

Cutting trees to open streets, is not the our fire departments job. There are agencies within the city that has that responsibility.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Most truck companies here will carry 4. One chain saw(not for roof work), 1 k saw with a roof blade, and 2 with metal blades.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Forum Member

we have 3. K12 with a metal blade, and a wood blade or "roof blade" we can swap out if needed. 14" standard chainsaw, and an Echo QuickVent venting saw for roofwork.

thats it!

Forum Member

we carry two on the brush truck
    ?

Let's talk fire trucks!

At work, the engines are carrying Stihl 038's for utility work. The special service companies (tower ladders and heavy rescues) are carrying two rotary saws (one for metal, one for wood), a chainsaw with depth gauge for roofs, and a the same Stihl that the engines have for utility work.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry 2 chainsaws on each of our brush units. In addition, the squad has a k-12, a ventmaster a chainsaw and an electric chainsaw. If we know a storm is coming, or start getting a lot of tree down calls, we will add chainsaws to the engines.

Forum Member

We carry a Husqvarna 272XP and a 372. Both saws have 20" bars with semi-skip chain. We also have 16" bars with carbide chain. This time of year, the standard bar and chain are on for trees. Come October, the carbides will be the standard.

Around here, most members cut wood for heat, so they are all familiar with running a saw. That allows us to go with the size we did. We watched a smaller saw get stuck in a roof due to lack of power. We don't want that happening with us.

Forum Member

Each engine has a chainsaw and a K-saw. K-saw setup with a metal cutting blade.

Ladder in the other company I believe has a chainsaw and 2 k-saws, 1 with Warthog and 1 for metal.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Truck CO carries 2 Partner Saws, 1 Wharthog, 1 Metal blade. Also has 2 Stihl Chanisaw's, with 1 of those being Fire Service.

Squad carries a Partner with Metal blade, and a Stihl Fire Service Chainsaw

Engine caries a Stihl Chainsaw.

All have spare blades/chains, 2-cycle, spark plugs, and bar oil in the same compartment as well.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

My company carry's 3 Cutter's Edge saw's, and 2 K12's, one K12 has a metal blade, the other for roof's. Which works quite well, All Cutter's Edge saw's have the same roof chains on them, and we have never had all three pulled off for one incident, once or twice we had two, but not all three, just nice knowing if someone didn't do their job and their isn't gas in the first, you have a back-up. Or the blades break, or what-have-you.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quints carry a K1200 with a metal cutting blade, Cutter's Edge Chain saw, and a Stihl tree cutting saw.

The Ladder carries the same and an additional Cutter's Edge chain saw without the depth gauge.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Four

2 - Partner....1 wood (24 tooth).....1 metal

2 - chainsaws

MembersZone Subscriber

two k12's, one metal and one wood, two pro-vents, both wood, with one sans-depth gauge.

Thats on a rescue that runs to all fires.

Each truck carries a chop saw with a steel blade and a provent

2 of our trucks are situated in an old construction portion of downtown so they have masonry blades.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

We carry three.

1. Cutters Edge chain saw with Bullet Chain for sloped roofs.
    1. Partner with metal abrasive blade.
    1. Partner with Carbide Tipped wood blade. (No Warthogs right now) for flat roofs.

We carry spare blades of both types. So if nessecary, we can put the required blade on at the scene and have two roatry saws rady to go for whatever the material is to be cut.

We do not use rotary saws on sloped roofs. Too dangerous. Chainsaws are lighter, more manuverable and have a brake that stops the chain instantly. They also have a depth gauge that covers all of the chain not being used. Rotary saws lack that as well.

Forum Member

Small Volunteer Dept.

Engine - Utility Chainsaw Stihl 038, Husqvarna Rotary (forgot the model but older) abrasive disc for metal.
    Pumper Tanker - Tempest Vent Chain Saw, Partner K-12 with Warthog
    Squad - Echo Vent Chain Saw, Partner K-12 with diamond blade, Stihl 038 Utility
    Brush Truck - Sthil 038
    Tanker (still can't get myself to use tender) - Old McCullough chain saw

When significant storms hit we will clear roads also used for some brush fires.
    Last edited by Rhinofire; 06-25-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: clarification

Forum Member

Engine-Vent Master Chain Saw

Squad (as in support/manpower unit)- Two Poulan Tree Saws

Tower-3 Cutters Edge Vent Saws, 1 Vent Master Saw, 1 Partner K 750 with carbide blade, 1 Stihl Rotary Saw with abrasive blade, 1 Partner K 650 with abrasive blade, 1 small McCullah Rotary Saw with abrasive blades

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    We normally do not do tree cutting, unless it will help get a person out of a vehicle or some where they may be trapped. Only for extrication operations.

Cutting trees to open streets, is not the our fire departments job. There are agencies within the city that has that responsibility.
    It is not really our fire Departments job either. But, we are usually toned out because of the traffic hazard when a tree falls blocking a road. We have very limited law enforcement to assist and it often takes road crews two or three hours to respond. We just cut the tree so we can go home.
    We have had a huge amount of trees down this spring. We were able to get a local tree service to come in and give us their safety class. It was very helpful and our guys really took a lot away from it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 1500chief@sbcglobal.net View Post
    It is not really our fire Departments job either. But, we are usually toned out because of the traffic hazard when a tree falls blocking a road. We have very limited law enforcement to assist and it often takes road crews two or three hours to respond. We just cut the tree so we can go home.
    We have had a huge amount of trees down this spring. We were able to get a local tree service to come in and give us their safety class. It was very helpful and our guys really took a lot away from it.
    Have you guys talked about DPW taking it over or is it not feasible in your area? Just curious because we face the same problem during hurricane season. DPW don't want to stick around for the storm and our resources are spread too thin so it's becoming a fight.

Sorry for the hijack, just trying to gain some insight.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Have you guys talked about DPW taking it over or is it not feasible in your area? Just curious because we face the same problem during hurricane season. DPW don't want to stick around for the storm and our resources are spread too thin so it's becoming a fight.

Sorry for the hijack, just trying to gain some insight.
    We're having the reverse issue.

In the past 911 would tone us out anytime there was a tree down due to a very long response time for the Parish highway Department. While it was a pain in the buttocks it was something we as an agency didn't mind doing as it sorta fals into Harve's philosphy of "being the agency that does everything".

Apparently the Foreman of the Highway Department has now contacted both the Sheriff's department and 911 about this, as now he wants the HD to respond to all down trees in the road so that his crews can get OT, despite the long response times. So for the moment, we are no longer doing trees down on the roadway.

I suspect that will change in a short time as the SO will get very tired of blocking the road and babysitting down trees for 1-2 hours until the Highway Department shows up.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-27-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by happyvalleyff View Post
    Engine-Vent Master Chain Saw

Squad (as in support/manpower unit)- Two Poulan Tree Saws

Tower-3 Cutters Edge Vent Saws, 1 Vent Master Saw, 1 Partner K 750 with carbide blade, 1 Stihl Rotary Saw with abrasive blade, 1 Partner K 650 with abrasive blade, 1 small McCullah Rotary Saw with abrasive blades
    Do you have room on the tower for anything but saws?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

Forum Member

Default Saws

I'm sorry but someone had to say it...." I can carry only two...one in each hand." Now I feel better and carry on......
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information