Thread: Atv/utv

Forum Member

Default Atv/utv

We are looking at buying one of these for our department. We run alot of field/wood fires and our brush truck just can't always go places. I was wondering if anyone out there had some recommendations as far as manufacture or what has/hasn't worked on your dept. We would like a bench seat and be able to put a decent skid load in the back. Any thing you guys can provide will help. Thanks.

Forum Member

I have been to the factory, we where very impressed with these units.

http://www.ejmetals.com/fireroughterrain_trucks.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Atv/utv

try ASAP - they do a tremendous amount of testing, and have a very neat EMS Vehicle - plus the stretch the Polaris and have 2000 lb payload.

www.asap911.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We use a Polaris 6x6 has worked out well.

Forum Member

2009 Polaris Fire/Rescue Ranger

http://www.firelineequipment.com/index.php?pID=985

MembersZone Subscriber

http://irvfc.com/gallery.cfm?id=761&ss=1

This company just placed this "utv" in service.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a Polaris 6x6 we obtained through a grant several years ago and I can't complain a bit. We had a local house-boat manufacturer that built a tank for it and we put a small pump and a bit of 1" hose to make it usable for firefighting as well as rescue.

We've been able to use this thing for a number of purposes. Though it's primary purpose was to use as a brush rig for our wooded areas, that's probably what it's been used the least for. Not long after we got it we had an EF4 tornado rip through the town and countryside. This rig got to places no one else could get and was a life-saver. We've also used it for outdoor SAR ops.

A bit over a month ago we sent it to Joplin for the FD to utilize as needed. It was used quite a bit as a run-around unit (as were JFD's 6x6 Gator and the MSHP Ranger and Mule that they brought), but it was probably utilized best as a decon/rehab rig for the search dogs. When the dogs got overheated or into something they didn't want left on them, our Ranger rolled to them and washed them down.

Whatever unit you go with, my recommendations would be to take a good look at what you're wanting to do with it and get the unit that best fits it. John Deere, Polaris, Kawasaki, etc. all make good units, but some fit better for particular uses (i.e. a 4x4 vs. 6x6, diesel vs. gas).

You also don't have to spend thousands of dollars for a pre-made skid for it. Ours and several others I've seen out there have home-made brush skids that were done considerably cheaper than someone else building them. Is there some liability in it? I'm sure there is. However, if your guys driving it keep their heads out of their tails there shouldn't be that much of a problem. I've also seen a couple of local EMS agencies that build skids that are basically a platform with a stat-track on it for their cots. They aren't pricey and they are built solid, but the bottom line is that they do the job they want done for their purpose. Either way, I'd look seriously at making it adaptable, where you can remove whatever skid you have in it in case you just want the bed for utility purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by En6ine View Post
    http://irvfc.com/gallery.cfm?id=761&ss=1

This company just placed this "utv" in service.
    I find it interesting that LOTS of web pages give little information on even what State they are in.

Usually you can find a 'Contact Us' link.
    Sometimes, even then, there isn't much for info on location.

Forum Member

Post Atv

My dept has a Polaris 6x6 outfitted with a high pressure pump and dual reels. Water tank is approximately 50 gallons and a foam proportioner. Works EXTREMELY well. We also made a simple but effective slide out so we can place a stokes or backboard on the rear for winter rescues.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CVFD-14 View Post
    We are looking at buying one of these for our department. We run alot of field/wood fires and our brush truck just can't always go places. I was wondering if anyone out there had some recommendations as far as manufacture or what has/hasn't worked on your dept. We would like a bench seat and be able to put a decent skid load in the back. Any thing you guys can provide will help. Thanks.
    I stress stay away from any off brand manufacteurs. I would also stay away from the john deere gators and kawasaki mules they have very weak motors and will have a hard time with the extra weight. Polaris, yamaha, honda, can-am and kubota should be your top brands to go with. The polaris 6x6 is by far the best handling the weight.

Forum Member

I would look in to a Mad Pup skid unit from Barens Inc. in Seneca PA. It is a poly tank high pressure unit designed for UTVs and includes a stokes mount. I think they are around $3000

Forum Member

We just bought a Bobcat utility vehicle and put it in service. Very nice unit. Built by Polaris but cost a LOT less.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

has anyone tried one based off of a Bobcat UTV?

http://www.bobcat.com/utility_machin...lity_vehicles/
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Thread Information