Forum Member

Default Out of state Firefighter getting hired in Fl?

Hey guys, been looking into making the move somewhere in south florida, and was wondering just how tough it would be to get hired. I'm hoping since I have 5 years experience on a very reputable fire department, paramedic, and a spanish cert, that it would give me a leg up on the competition, would this be fair to say, or do I still have a hard road ahead of making this happen. Any outlook on hiring in the next 2 years?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aces11 View Post
    Hey guys, been looking into making the move somewhere in south florida, and was wondering just how tough it would be to get hired. I'm hoping since I have 5 years experience on a very reputable fire department, paramedic, and a spanish cert, that it would give me a leg up on the competition, would this be fair to say, or do I still have a hard road ahead of making this happen. Any outlook on hiring in the next 2 years?
    Experience & Spanish help for sure. The problem is that you have to get your Florida Firefighter Cert. You might be able to challenge the state test, some of these other guys might know the answer to that. I work for Miami Beach and we just opened the hiring process for 2011 but I think you missed the deadline. It is very competitive down here but just like anything else, if you want it bad enough you will succeed. Good luck bro. Oh yeah, your Medic license helps too, almost a prerequisite to get hired down here. =)

Forum Member

Hey thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I've looked into challenging that, and didn't know how tough that is to do or not. I would love to hear from someone who has gone through that. How many people do you guys have take the test typically? And for how many spots? Like some fire departments, is it more of who you know than how you actually do on your test and interviews? Thanks beachfire!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beachfire View Post
    Experience & Spanish help for sure. The problem is that you have to get your Florida Firefighter Cert. You might be able to challenge the state test, some of these other guys might know the answer to that. I work for Miami Beach and we just opened the hiring process for 2011 but I think you missed the deadline. It is very competitive down here but just like anything else, if you want it bad enough you will succeed. Good luck bro. Oh yeah, your Medic license helps too, almost a prerequisite to get hired down here. =)
    I don't know much about challenging the Florida tests, but from what I understand, it seems very hard to do.

I will reiterate what beachfire said, you pretty much need to be fire and medic certified (Florida) in order to get a job in South Florida. Experience and spanish do help, but a majority of FF applicants are hispanic down here, so it will still be very competetive.

I tell all the students that ride along with my department that unless they have a commitment down here (wife, kids, mortgage) to expand their search and look all over florida and even out of state.

As soon as you get out of a Florida paramedic program, I suggest they take the National Test too, do your research and apply in departments out of the state. Being a south florida (dade and broward) resident all my life, there are very few areas I can reccomend that are affordable and practical to live, by which I mean have good schools, low crime, a good "community" feeling, etc. This is a big reason why I am applying out of state and looking to move. I don't want to raise my kids in South Florida and many people I know feel the same way.

Regardless, good luck in whatever you decide and if you have any questions about living in South Florida or fire departments, you can PM me and i'll do my best to answer you.

Forum Member

Florida is ridiculous. I've been through two Firefighter II academies, I have my Firefighter III cert., FAE, Rope Ops, I'm a rescue diver, hazmat Ops, etc etc. I've been through 40 hour classes dedicated to RIT, fire attack, engine ops, truck ops, advanced SCBA training, etc etc and I have over 5 years experience with a career department in the chicagoland area and the florida state fire marshall still would not allow me to try and test out of their basic firefighter cert. Needless to say I decided to move elsewhere. Good luck! For real answers call the Florida state fire marshall office.

Forum Member

It's tough, but possible for someone with experience and a drive to get on somewhere. There are hundreds, if not thousands of applicants (Tampa had 1300 applicants last year), but that doesn't mean they are quality applicants.

My first department I was 1 of 9 hired out of 81.
    The second department I was 1 of 1 hired out of 502.
    The department I work for now I was 1 of 12 out of 200+.

Needless to say, I have applied to well over 24 departments and took the first job that I was offered. Then given a shot at a better department I had to take it, only to fear losing my job within the year so I applied to the department that I'm with now and got hired about 6 months later.

St. Pete just opened up their application process and got 500+ applications. They cut that down to 250 through the NTN process.

TyD
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fyrfytr4 View Post

St. Pete just opened up their application process and got 500+ applications. They cut that down to 250 through the NTN process.
    Have they already taken the next step with the 250 applicants they have? I tested through NTN and sent scores to them but didnt hear back..

I am worried I was too late for my scores.. I tested the day before scores were due but at the test they said the school was closed the next day and they wouldnt be able to grade the test, but they spoke with the dept's and made them aware of the situation..
    Reserve FF/EMT HCFR sta 05
    Medic Student at SPC

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by tydougherty View Post
    Have they already taken the next step with the 250 applicants they have? I tested through NTN and sent scores to them but didnt hear back..

I am worried I was too late for my scores.. I tested the day before scores were due but at the test they said the school was closed the next day and they wouldnt be able to grade the test, but they spoke with the dept's and made them aware of the situation..
    You volunteering with Hillsborough?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

TyD
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    You volunteering with Hillsborough?
    yes. just finishing up requirements to ride. Need the training on the autopulse
    Medic Student at SPC

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tydougherty View Post
    yes. just finishing up requirements to ride. Need the training on the autopulse
    Step 1 - Put band around patient.
    Step 2 - Secure patient to autopulse.
    Step 3 - Power on and press continue.

Commence geezer squeezer.

There you go, trained.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by layinonair View Post
    Step 1 - Put band around patient.
    Step 2 - Secure patient to autopulse.
    Step 3 - Power on and press continue.

Commence geezer squeezer.

There you go, trained.
    What he said. Does 8 have any APs? I know a lot got pulled........
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

TyD
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy View Post
    What he said. Does 8 have any APs? I know a lot got pulled........
    Not sure if they do or not.. But its a requirement so... It may be more for the "pit stop" training when dealing with cardiac arrest pts.
    Medic Student at SPC

Forum Member

it's pit crew. and I would say it's more involved than previously stated. they're a great tool, but the study was a pain in the butt. of course now that the study is over I love them. and of course now they've been removed from most of the engines...perfect!
    blsboy: please change your avatar to one of you in bunker gear. or whatever it is you have...hahahaha ;)

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by reebokHCFR View Post
    it's pit crew. and I would say it's more involved than previously stated. they're a great tool, but the study was a pain in the butt. of course now that the study is over I love them. and of course now they've been removed from most of the engines...perfect!
    blsboy: please change your avatar to one of you in bunker gear. or whatever it is you have...hahahaha
    Har har har! I see my usual partner was showing of my sexiness at 36 yesterday, huh? Did you guys ever make it to the fire last night?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    I think BLSBoy has a GREAT avatar.... Never change it.
    I dunno Fuss, now that we traded half the team away, how great are we gonna be next year?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information