Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Being born a Tennessean and becoming a Virginian by choice.

All my elders came from the old country, Wales, Scotland and Belgium.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Ethnic Backround

Quote Originally Posted by IronValor View Post
    My Family is of the Scot Irish heritage. We are of Clan MacGregor, In the fire service there is a proud tradition among the Scottish and the Irish. Where are your roots?
    Am an American!! But my wife is into genealogy so it is interesting to find out about your ancestors.

Fathers side: Scotch-Irish (also known as Ulster Irish) and of Clan Macgregor (Prolific bunch)

Motherís side: German, My great-great grandfather was a corporal in the Prussian Army at the Siege of Paris in 1871

My Wifeís father is English-Irish and a distant relative of Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman) Irish side came from Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland during the start of the Potato Famine in early 1840ís.

My Wifeís mother is German with her Parents emigrating from Dusseldorf in the 1920ís. Her Great Grandfather was a personal body guard of Kaiser Wilhelm II around 1900. Her mother has a picture of him standing next to the Kaiser. Her uncle has the actual rifle he is holding in the picture.

I'm a A#1 100% American Mutt, and come from a family that also is/was A#1 100% American Mutt.

About half became MUTT when they first landed on the shores in 1753, while the other half of the MUTTs were already here to greet them.

There were no outstanding or famous folks in this clan... just ordinary MUTTS.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Default Mutt

I am as a comedian once said..."I'm half Indian,half Italian and half British".
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

50% Canadian (Fathers side)
    50% Irish (Mothers side)

100% American.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Possible Viking Ancestory

Read an interesting article about how the Vikings had settlements along the coasts of England, Ireland, Scotland, Normandy France, and Northern Germany in the 700-1,000 AD time frame. And the Viking Norman descendent "William the Conquer" invaded and conquered England in 1066 AD. The article states that about 50% of modern English, Irish, and Scottish, descendents have Viking genes in their DNA. Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Read an interesting article about how the Vikings had settlements along the coasts of England, Ireland, Scotland, Normandy France, and Northern Germany in the 700-1,000 AD time frame. And the Viking Norman descendent "William the Conquer" invaded and conquered England in 1066 AD. The article states that about 50% of modern English, Irish, and Scottish, descendents have Viking genes in their DNA. Interesting stuff.
    The only genes I have are Blue...

My great-grandmother claimed she was a direct decendant of Fredrick William I of Prussia (father of Fredrick the Great). She spoke fluent German despite having never lived in Germany. I suppose tradition, language and ancestry were more important to her than later generations. Her claim could not be proven, but it wasn't disproven either.

Auf wiedersehen.

Forum Member

I used to say that we were Scottish on Dad's side and Irish on Mom's.It turns out there is some Jewish French and German in the bloodline somehow.
    Now instead of haggis and Irish whiskey,I have to try wienerschnitzel and snails.(I ain't eating crepes)
    One time I did find that a friend was actually a distant relative.I'd been talking about how my great-great Grandfather had made the charge with Pickett at Gettysburg during the Woah between the States and,when he didn't see too many grey uniforms at the top decided that we'd lost so he went home.This woman overheard it and commented that was the story on one of her great great Uncles,who turned out to be my G-G-Grand.
    Last edited by doughesson; 07-01-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I used to say that we were Scottish on Dad's side and Irish on Mom's.It turns out there is some Jewish French and German in the bloodline somehow.
    Now instead of haggis and Irish whiskey,I have to try wienerschnitzel and snails.(I ain't eating crepes)
    One time I did find that a friend was actually a distant relative.I'd been talking about how my great-great Grandfather had made the charge with Pickett at Gettysburg during the Woah between the States and,when he didn't see too many grey uniforms at the top decided that we'd lost so he went home.This woman overheard it and commented that was the story on one of her great great Uncles,who turned out to be my G-G-Grand.

Ain't it eh smaaa world?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Ain't it eh smaaa world?

Good thing,too.I was about to invite her to a family reunion but was afraid someone would remember her from a few I'd missed in the 80s.
    That wouldn't have been good.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Good thing,too.I was about to invite her to a family reunion but was afraid someone would remember her from a few I'd missed in the 80s.
    That wouldn't have been good.
    I thot kissin' cuzins wuz legel in ur wuds.

Forum Member

MY family descends from Nottingham England.

Thread Information