Forum Member

Default Whats your Heritage?

My Family is of the Scot Irish heritage. We are of Clan MacGregor, In the fire service there is a proud tradition among the Scottish and the Irish. Where are your roots?
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

I'm a Texan.
    Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Forum Member

I am a mutt.....Armenian....Pennsylvania Dutch (which is a fancy way to say German...) Some other stuff in the woodpile, too.

My wife is Ferengi.....Or is it Romulan?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

dd
    Forum Member

Dad's side has been in America since 1629, from England. Also a mix of German, Scottish, American Indian, Irish, & Welsh. A gr-gr-gr-gr-gr-gr-gr-grandfather was a Gregg, descended from the Clan MacGregor. It is actually the line that I can trace back the farthest, to Greggor of the Golden Bridles, my 19th great-grandfather. So hello cousin!

Forum Member

WOP, big surprise right?

MembersZone Subscriber

Sicilian goombah
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Mutt as well. Mostly Russian, but also Irish, German, Czech, Indian and a few others.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

The south...
    Bring enough hose.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Cajun French on both sides
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a drunk stupid Nazi. AKA-Irish, Polish, and German.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

The Federation of American Natives
    IAFF

Forum Member

Our heritage is summed up here...
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ-ru03J2OQ
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Mutt here too. Dad's side Scottish, Irish, German, England or Cherry, McAdoo, Rehkopf, Pannell. Thanks to my aunt she spent years researching.

MembersZone Subscriber

All American Mutt! From what i've been told Native American, German, Scottish, & whatever other overseas nut mixed in...lol
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Back In Black

Mutt and then some... although if you test DNA, noone is 1 of anything, regardless of what they think.

I'll just mention the predominant pieces.

Father's Side
    Dutch (Ellis Island)
    Scottish (Ellis Island)

Mother's Side
    Spanish (Early 1900's)
    English (going back to the Mass Bay Colony)

I've done some extensive genealogy research. Pretty fascinating stuff.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

As ole G.W. would say, "I'm 'mercan!"

Dad's side:
    Predominantly English and Irish with some Cherokee.

Mom's side:
    Irish with just a little English mixed in.

Apparently from my ginger hair and complextion I took after the Irish side, haha.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 06-27-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Forum Member

Mostly german / dutch.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

cajun french through and through

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    I am a drunk stupid Nazi. AKA-Irish, Polish, and German.
    Ohh..so so many things could be said right now....it's so easy I think I'll pass.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

.....both parents born here...so that make me American. I don't buy into all that heritage crap, as I was once told by my grandfather who was an immigrant....if xxxxx was so great I wouldn't have left. Say what ya want....if we want to play the "what are we" game then i guess we are all Eygptians....being thats the crotch of civilization.

The only flags I own are the US and USMC....wait a sec...I guess it's same to say I was born on Parris Island...so that makes me 100% pure leatherneck.
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple of my aunts researched my mother's side back to England - the "root" for the the family tree on this side of the big pond arrived here ca 1635 on a ship named "Planter."

My father's earliest forebear in this country here arrived from the Alsace-Lorraine region around 1833.

That makes me generations removed from "the boat."

The closest I can come to that is an uncle who brought home a war bride from Germany.

AFAIK, my father was the first to be involved in public service, though, local grass-roots (ie, a bucket brigade in an emergency) participation notwithstanding.

My son carries on the tradition.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    .....both parents born here...so that make me American. I don't buy into all that heritage crap, as I was once told by my grandfather who was an immigrant....if xxxxx was so great I wouldn't have left. Say what ya want....if we want to play the "what are we" game then i guess we are all Eygptians....being thats the crotch of civilization.

The only flags I own are the US and USMC....wait a sec...I guess it's same to say I was born on Parris Island...so that makes me 100% pure leatherneck.
    All I can say is WOW. So what if people are proud of where their ancestors came from? Just so long they're not flying their flag over the American flag then so be it. If it bothers you so bad then why did you even open this thread? If you want to play that game then don't be proud of any ancestors that you had that fought in WWII, the Civil War, or the Revolutionary War.

As for your last, all I can say is MOTARD. Semper Fi Mac!
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 06-27-2011 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Fixed mispelling so that Vinnie doesn't bust a vein.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    All I can say is WOW. So what if people are proud of where their ancestors came from? Just so long they're not flying their flag over the American flag then so be it. If it bothers you so bad then why did you even open this thread? If you want to play that game then don't be proud of any ancestors that you had that fought in WWII, the Civil War, or the Revolutionary War.

As for your last, all I can say is MOTARD. Smeper Fi Mac!
    Read into it as much as you want. My heritage is American....my ancestors fought for the US....not thier country of origin...but thier adopted homeland. My grandparents never claimed to be Italian or Greek...when asked they would say American and I would get a swat from them if I attempted to claim I was either Italian or Greek....because I wasn't. I was born in the US, in NY....and that's what I am...nothing else.

You're last comment totally contradicted your first. 16 years in an orgainization that I actually am a member of verse an ideal that I am only by some obsure bloodline.....you completely missed the point. If I had some crayons I would draw it out for you so you would get it....

BTW its Semper Fi, now go have a pepsi POG.
    IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    Read into it as much as you want. My heritage is American....my ancestors fought for the US....not thier country of origin...but thier adopted homeland. My grandparents never claimed to be Italian or Greek...when asked they would say American and I would get a swat from them if I attempted to claim I was either Italian or Greek....because I wasn't. I was born in the US, in NY....and that's what I am...nothing else.

You're last comment totally contradicted your first. 16 years in an orgainization that I actually am a member of verse an ideal that I am only by some obsure bloodline.....you completely missed the point. If I had some crayons I would draw it out for you so you would get it....

BTW its Semper Fi, now go have a pepsi POG.
    I figured I'd shorten this and be a little more civil than what I had posted.

1. As for spelling and grammar. I fixed mine for you. BTW, Crayon is capitolaized, it's a brand name. Try to have your crap right before you point out other's faults with regard to that.

2. Go figure a grunt, as I assume you are by the comment, would throw out the POG tag. All I have to say is I never heard you all stars bitching about POG's when you needed your comm up and running. Who do you think makes those radios and networks run when you need to get arty and air support? You're welcome!

3. You're the one that came on this thread with your butt on your shoulders about it. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, now get over it. If you don't like the whole heritage thing, then why were you even on this thread? I'm right there with you about the people that go around saying their Irish when the last person in their family to come off a boat was over a hundred years ago. I even have a problem with the ones that claim to be Mexicans but they want to get American benefits. But there's nothing wrong with being interested in where your family comes from and having pride in it.

4. Seriously man, you're the only grunt, that is if you really were a grunt, I know that would have ever said anything close to being born on Parris Island so you're a Leatherneck. That's why I said motard, sorry if I hurt your feelings.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 06-27-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Forum Member

Butt hurt? I'd say so POG, btw, comm is a common task for us grunts. The 1 comm geek we get from battalion usually sits radio watch for the cloc. I have never had an issue calling a 9 line or for air or arty...oh wait next you'll tell me I need a FAC for that.

Love the MOTARD comment too boot, who's the one with all the bull**** in his profile....oh and having a pi ssing match about war in another thread with a like tool bag? Please keep on writing about war, I wanna know more. Keep trying to justify you foul existence, you're lack of self esteem is obnoxious, loud and proud, hey, come to NY, you can get married now.

I can smell the cash sales from here. I'll call supply and have them a box of humility to the comm shack at Cherry Point....a comm geek and a winger? Lord oh lord.....

16 years and a grunt....yup that's something to be motivated about. But these days it's FUBIJAR. Have a nice life boot, haters gunna hate......

Charlie Oscar Mike Mike....that's what you tools sing at the school house at the stumps right? Yeah....that get me hard....
    IACOJ Member

Thread Information