Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Need SCBA and Compressor Narritive

We have a very rural department (70 sq mile area, ~220 structures, ~350 pop.) with 14 members and low call volume. We have 5 drager scbas that are NFPA 1981, 1997 ed. and parts to 3 survivairs older that me. Looking to update our packs, some of our bottles have failed hydro this year and we might be able to replace one bottle a year on our current budget. We roll two pumpers and two tankers to all structure fires with 12 ff's on average . The closest compressor is 20 miles from our station. There is not a readily portable cascade within an hour. I want to ask for 10 airpacks, spare bottles, a compressor and a one bottle fill station. If anybody has a sucessful scba narritive for a uber-rural department i would love to read it. Our email is selcfd@centurylink.net Thanks

P.S. shoot me any good turnout narritives if you have them it will help a buddy on the north end of the county out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SE6403 View Post
    We have a very rural department (70 sq mile area, ~220 structures, ~350 pop.) with 14 members and low call volume. We have 5 drager scbas that are NFPA 1981, 1997 ed. and parts to 3 survivairs older that me. Looking to update our packs, some of our bottles have failed hydro this year and we might be able to replace one bottle a year on our current budget. We roll two pumpers and two tankers to all structure fires with 12 ff's on average . The closest compressor is 20 miles from our station. There is not a readily portable cascade within an hour. I want to ask for 10 airpacks, spare bottles, a compressor and a one bottle fill station. If anybody has a sucessful scba narritive for a uber-rural department i would love to read it. Our email is selcfd@centurylink.net Thanks

P.S. shoot me any good turnout narritives if you have them it will help a buddy on the north end of the county out.
    You have mail

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the packs can be sucessful but depending on the call volume not sure about the compressor. The compressor and fill station are pretty expensive and will throw off your cost benefit. Perhapaps if you could put a 3-4 bottle portable cascade together you might be more sucessful. I do have a sucessful airpack, compressor narrative I would be happy to share but i is for a larger department with moderate call volume. Drop me not if you are interested. mwtetreault@metrocast.net
    Mark

Forum Member

I agree. The scba's and turnouts will score the highest. You do not want to include a lower scoring item like the compressor to lower you overall scoring average.

What I recommend is, within your budget request and narrative, take the highest amount awarded and add approximately 6-8% above that highest award per item. We are talking about your SCBA's and wildland firefighter gear if you do not have any. (extends the life of your interior attack turnouts and scores as well if you have responded to wildland or WUI fires.)

Then after your award, try to arrange to have leftover funds through your bidding process. You can use up to $5,000 of your leftover funds to spend as you wish. This would cover a compressor or fill station and not reduce your overall equipment scoring.

narrative on its way....

Forum Member

Default Thanks

Thank You everyone for your comments and work and if there is anyone else who would like to share please do!
    Last edited by SE6403; 06-26-2011 at 11:28 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    I agree. The scba's and turnouts will score the highest. You do not want to include a lower scoring item like the compressor to lower you overall scoring average.

What I recommend is, within your budget request and narrative, take the highest amount awarded and add approximately 6-8% above that highest award per item. We are talking about your SCBA's and wildland firefighter gear if you do not have any. (extends the life of your interior attack turnouts and scores as well if you have responded to wildland or WUI fires.)

Then after your award, try to arrange to have leftover funds through your bidding process. You can use up to $5,000 of your leftover funds to spend as you wish. This would cover a compressor or fill station and not reduce your overall equipment scoring.

narrative on its way....
    JAM-

Where are you finding a compressor setup for that cheap? The best I could find was over $30k

narrative on its way....
    jam24u,

I saw a headline down here this morning that your levee got overtopped near the Nuke plant.Your plant is shutdown for maintenance right? Good luck guy, I know your hands have got to be full right now. If I can help let me know.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    jam24u,

I saw a headline down here this morning that your levee got overtopped near the Nuke plant.Your plant is shutdown for maintenance right? Good luck guy, I know your hands have got to be full right now. If I can help let me know.
    As long as you can throw buckets of water Kurt you should go and help. Just don't drink it.

Quote Originally Posted by admpaul View Post
    As long as you can throw buckets of water Kurt you should go and help. Just don't drink it.
    Yes but my # of grants to review and get ready for this years program is overtopping the dike already.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

BTW, what is the max they're giving on SCBAs this year?

Quote Originally Posted by SE6403 View Post
    BTW, what is the max they're giving on SCBAs this year?
    I have not seen anyting saying it has gone up fomrthe $5250 last year
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    jam24u,

Well the Nuke plant that is shut down for refueling is north of Omaha and my nuke plant three miles away is still operating. There is a lot of misinformation going around. I had a TPP state coordinator who is an immigrant from Eastern Europe send me a copy of an article from Russia that said that President Obama has imposed a news black out and lying about the levels of radiation leaking. I thought that misinformation went out when the Soviets were no longer in power.

The trouble with this flood is that it appears that it is going to be holding a certain level until the New Year. The levees that do not break will be a stringy mudpie by then.

I had to travel to Leavenworth Kansas to be able to cross into KC. Its a mess alright.

Well the Nuke plant that is shut down for refueling is north of Omaha and my nuke plant three miles away is still operating. There is a lot of misinformation going around. I had a TPP state coordinator who is an immigrant from Eastern Europe send me a copy of an article from Russia that said that President Obama has imposed a news black out and lying about the levels of radiation leaking. I thought that misinformation went out when the Soviets were no longer in power.

The trouble with this flood is that it appears that it is going to be holding a certain level until the New Year. The levees that do not break will be a stringy mudpie by then.

I had to travel to Leavenworth Kansas to be able to cross into KC. Its a mess alright.
    Well hang in there Jim. Good luck.
    Kurt Bradley

Thread Information