Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default People doing the right thing...

A tip of the leather to these bystanders...

Video: Bystanders rescue man in fiery Pa. motorcycle crash
    The dramatic collision and subsequent rescue was caught by a nearby surveillance camera
    By FireRescue1 Staff

FELTONVILLE, Pa. — Bystanders are seen rushing to a motorcyclist's rescue, dragging him away from the burning wreck and extinguishing his clothes following a fiery crash.

The dramatic collision — and subsequent rescue — in Feltonville, Pa., Thursday afternoon was caught by a nearby surveillance camera.

It began with a car making an illegal U-turn and right into the path of the speeding motorcycle, according to WPVI-TV.

"It (the bike) flew, it was flying. It was the worst thing I ever saw," Linda Green, who witnessed the accident, told the station.

The footage shows three men fearlessly heading into the flames to pull the motorcyclist to safety. He suffered broken bones and burns, but is expected to recover.
    http://www.firerescue1.com/rescue/ar...orcycle-crash/
    http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=8209982
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Well done by all! The guy was hauling ***. He's lucky the impact didn't kill him instantly.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't know why they list it as "Feltonville, PA". Feltonville is just a neighborhood in Philly. But still good job by the bystanders.
    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Nice job!

Speedy recovery to the motorcyclist. Lucky to be alive.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

I wouldn't have done anything but watch. He isn't responsible enough to have a working smoke detector on his motorcycle, Im not risking my life....

Nice job by the bystanders, definitely prevented a fatal wreck.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Good to see that there are people willing to help in harms way, and not stick their hands in their pockets and watch.

Well done bystanders.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    I wouldn't have done anything but watch. He isn't responsible enough to have a working smoke detector on his motorcycle, Im not risking my life....
    Plus, statistics show most people don't survive such incidents, so why bother trying, right?

Good job guys!
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Forum Member

Good job folks.

Lucky for that guy he was in PA and not Bossier Parrish, LA. I'm just sayin'.

Forum Member

Personal choices.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
    Good job folks.

Lucky for that guy he was in PA and not Bossier Parrish, LA. I'm just sayin'.
    I'm sure some damn a** rednecks would have done the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I'm sure some damn a** rednecks would have done the same thing.
    So the people who bravely rescued this guy from his wreck without a scratch or burn on them are dumb asses according to you. Please go curl up in a corner and die. I used to laugh at your stupidity but you've just reduced yourself to the most useless vile piece of crap ever to walk the earth. You should do humanity a favor and throw yourself in front of a moving train. Or a burning car, as long as there are no "dumb asses" or "firefighters" around to try rescuing your worthless hide.
    Last edited by nmfire; 06-26-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Talking

Hey, don't go throwing the guy in front of my train. Seen those results too many times. We could tie him on the track and maybe scare the **** out of him though.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainguy View Post
    Hey, don't go throwing the guy in front of my train. Seen those results too many times. We could tie him on the track and maybe scare the **** out of him though.
    Whoever the engineer is just needs to realize he has done the world a favor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    So the people who bravely rescued this guy from his wreck without a scratch or burn on them are dumb asses according to you. Please go curl up in a corner and die. I used to laugh at your stupidity but you've just reduced yourself to the most useless vile piece of crap ever to walk the earth. You should do humanity a favor and throw yourself in front of a moving train. Or a burning car, as long as there are no "dumb asses" or "firefighters" around to try rescuing your worthless hide.

So it's really a good idea to encourage civilian rescuers after we, as professionals, have seen civilians die in water, ice, confined space, trench, cave and other incidents attempting to make a rescue that they have no training or equipment for? This time it worked out but there have been hundreds of times where it didn't go so well.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather show up and just have the original victim to rescue and/or treat rather than the original victim plus 3 or 4 would be rescuers to go after and/or treat and transport.

We just don't have the resources at hand to rescue and treat multiple patients for what started out as a single-victim incident.

Maybe you do. If so, more power to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather show up and just have the original victim to rescue and/or treat rather than the original victim plus 3 or 4 would be rescuers to go after and/or treat and transport.
    Except you wouldn't bother even making that one rescue either, you worthless coward. Those civilians are better firefighters than you are without a any training at all. So your entire opinion on this matter is, as usual, meaningless and incompetent. I hear a train horn. Please, go for a walk.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Except you wouldn't bother even making that one rescue either, you worthless coward. Those civilians are better firefighters than you are without a any training at all. So your entire opinion on this matter is, as usual, meaningless and incompetent. I hear a train horn. Please, go for a walk.
    Again, personal choices.

In this case, I probably would have as the hazard level was fairly low, but again, my family comes first when off-duty as here in LA there is no wage protection if acting as a volunteer.

At least there are some good and decent people left in the world. I am reminded of visiting My fiance's drug store one afternoon to surprise her with lunch, only to find an elderly woman face down in front of the store and people walking right past her and not doing anything.

La.. Usually Im not the kind to add fuel to an already smoldering fire but I have to say you are wrong on this one... If everybody took the hands in pockets stance and did nothing then there would be a lot more casualties.

If that was you under that motorcycle you would not care if that was a Firefighter, Plumber, Baker, or a Mechanic ( no offense Fire Mech Your one of the guys that keep us in business man ) that pulled you out.

I feel I need to remind some of you that sometimes taking no action is the boldest decision of all.

Just My Two cents and all
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

I also wanted to take a second to thank Chief Gonzo for posting such a great story. Its refreshing to see stories when ordinary people are at their Finest instead of seeing some of the other crap that floats around the media now days.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

dd
    Forum Member

Here is a new happening from night before last. Two teenage boys were riding skateboards on a bank parking lot. An apparatus bay door was open, so the boys came into the station carrying with a check that they had found. It was from a guy's parents for his birthday present. I told them that I would make sure that he got it and took it to his house yesterday morning. He said that he would have a lot of fun when he asked his wife for his birthday check, just to see what she had to say. Anyway, I told the boys that they did the right thing and that seemed to be what they were looking to hear. I, and most of my generation, don't give today's youngsters a chance to step up and do right. We just expect them to be up to no good.
    Last edited by dd; 06-26-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Thread Information