Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Which rigs should explorers be allowed to ride on?

Forum Member

Default Which rigs should explorers be allowed to ride on?

The post I am in only lets us ride the Engines and Rescues. You have to be 16 to ride the Engine and you have to be in EMT school to ride the Rescues. If an explorer is at a station with a Tower or Heavy Rescue and they get a good call, do you think the explorer should be allowed to jump on?

Thanks,
    ofdexplorerPV
    Last edited by ofdexplorerPV; 07-01-2011 at 05:33 PM. Reason: I changed the wording from "they" to "explorer"

Forum Member

in my town in NJ all auxiliaries respond to the engine company when toned out for a call. I dont see a reason that if your at a station with a rescue/ladder truck to not let you ride provided that there is room and that you have all your gear with you.

Forum Member

You ride what they let you ride. Even when you've been on 10 years, you ride what the officer tells you to ride.
    DFD1994 likes this.

MembersZone Subscriber

There can be many reasons why explorers are not allowed to ride certain vehicles. One of the personnel riding have to be willing to take the explorer under his or her wing to make sure explorer is safe. Not all personnel are willing to work with explorers or just are not comfortable with explorers riding along. Obey your departments rules. You will get your chance to go to the other calls soon enough.

Forum Member

None. they should stay on their bicycles....
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy911 View Post
    Please ignore Chewy911 no one has fed him today and he has low blood sugar (makes him grumpy).

Ok this is a easy one. Do what you are told. Go where you are told. As a group juniors are highly motivated,dedicated and blissfully ignorant of alot of the factors which a officer has to consider based on very little information. Here is the deal. Call comes in gear up, stand at the rear of the rig if this is an acceptable call for a junior one of you will be chosen. Those of you who argue with the officer or are not ready will never ride.

Forum Member

I like how most of the previous posters have stated it. Do what your department, state and federal regulations allow you to do.

Call me what you will, but I really don't like explorers. I see the reason for them and all, but I don't like the idea of them doing anything at a structure fire besides observing from a safe distance under the supervision of a trained and responsible member of the department; who's primary responsibility is to supervise, mentor, and answer any questions the explorer(s) might have about the activity going on at the scene around them. They don't belong on any other scenes. Vehicle fires have many nasty chemicals and road traffic involved, which rules them out. Wildlands incidents are spread out and frequently involve fighting fire from locations with poor air quality, so unless you want the explorers watching the IC doing their job. I wouldn't bring them to that either.

I really dislike that some departments let explorers ride ambulances. I expose and examine nearly every pt once they get loaded in the back of the ambulance. I seriously doubt that a 16 year old needs to see an old naked person, or someone in the final stages of dying. Watching a person die is something that sticks with you a long time and is something most adults have trouble coping with. Why rob a child of their innocence prematurely? Because that is precisely what exposing them to a person in the process of dying is.

That concludes my soapbox lecture on taking explorers to what I personally believe are inappropriate places. I realize every department has the right to adopt whatever protocols and guidelines that they feel appropriate for their unique situation, within the guidelines provided by fed., state, and local statutes and regulations. I respect that they are exercising that right and commend them for doing what works best for their unique situation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy911 View Post
    Haha fair enough.
    Last edited by ofdexplorerPV; 09-10-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Forum Member

Thank you guys! Your comments all helped me better understand that I will still get a good call by riding the engine. I hope that one day I can be a hero like all of you. Stay safe out there!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KanFireman View Post
    I like how most of the previous posters have stated it. Do what your department, state and federal regulations allow you to do.

Call me what you will, but I really don't like explorers. I see the reason for them and all, but I don't like the idea of them doing anything at a structure fire besides observing from a safe distance under the supervision of a trained and responsible member of the department; who's primary responsibility is to supervise, mentor, and answer any questions the explorer(s) might have about the activity going on at the scene around them. They don't belong on any other scenes. Vehicle fires have many nasty chemicals and road traffic involved, which rules them out. Wildlands incidents are spread out and frequently involve fighting fire from locations with poor air quality, so unless you want the explorers watching the IC doing their job. I wouldn't bring them to that either.

I really dislike that some departments let explorers ride ambulances. I expose and examine nearly every pt once they get loaded in the back of the ambulance. I seriously doubt that a 16 year old needs to see an old naked person, or someone in the final stages of dying. Watching a person die is something that sticks with you a long time and is something most adults have trouble coping with. Why rob a child of their innocence prematurely? Because that is precisely what exposing them to a person in the process of dying is.

That concludes my soapbox lecture on taking explorers to what I personally believe are inappropriate places. I realize every department has the right to adopt whatever protocols and guidelines that they feel appropriate for their unique situation, within the guidelines provided by fed., state, and local statutes and regulations. I respect that they are exercising that right and commend them for doing what works best for their unique situation.
    Why do you dislike explorers? Is it the explorer post for your department that you dislike or just explorers in general?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fddd160 View Post
    There can be many reasons why explorers are not allowed to ride certain vehicles. One of the personnel riding have to be willing to take the explorer under his or her wing to make sure explorer is safe. Not all personnel are willing to work with explorers or just are not comfortable with explorers riding along. Obey your departments rules. You will get your chance to go to the other calls soon enough.
    Thank you, sir. The last sentence really helped.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Please ignore Chewy911 no one has fed him today and he has low blood sugar (makes him grumpy).

Ok this is a easy one. Do what you are told. Go where you are told. As a group juniors are highly motivated,dedicated and blissfully ignorant of alot of the factors which a officer has to consider based on very little information. Here is the deal. Call comes in gear up, stand at the rear of the rig if this is an acceptable call for a junior one of you will be chosen. Those of you who argue with the officer or are not ready will never ride.
    Yes sir!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bmags84 View Post
    in my town in NJ all auxiliaries respond to the engine company when toned out for a call. I dont see a reason that if your at a station with a rescue/ladder truck to not let you ride provided that there is room and that you have all your gear with you.
    That is what I was thinking but the other guys have good points.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    You ride what they let you ride. Even when you've been on 10 years, you ride what the officer tells you to ride.
    Yes sir!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miller337 View Post
    Ha! lol. i actually think i had too much that day.
    i did indeed post that as a joke, as i was once told that when i was a junior.
    And everyone one here has pretty much hit the nail on the head, you do as the officer in charge tells you too.
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Forum Member

My department doesn't have explorers. The reason is based in psychology. Mentally, individuals that young lack the emotional maturity to grasp the full impact of actions. Which is also why teenagers typically make terrible parents. After dealing with my fair share of young kids who think they're invincible has led me to conclude kids don't belong at a fire.

If I hadn't had the experiences with the fools I've dealt with and also not been a little hellion as a teenager. I might have had a different opinion, but that wasn't the case.

Forum Member

Last edited by Blue Bell; 07-18-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: updated

Forum Member

Ride what they tell you to ride.

Stay safe

Forum Member

As long as there is room, we ride on what ever is going out the door...
    Last edited by FireSquad911; 09-06-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Kyle - FireSquad911

Forum Member

My city's department lets us ride in any of the trucks, but only one explorer gets to go at a time (unless it's a large fire, then we all get to go and watch)

Forum Member

My department doesn't have explorers. The reason is based in psychology. Mentally, individuals that young lack the emotional maturity to grasp the full impact of actions. Which is also why teenagers typically make terrible parents. After dealing with my fair share of young kids who think they're invincible has led me to conclude kids don't belong at a fire.

If I hadn't had the experiences with the fools I've dealt with and also not been a little hellion as a teenager. I might have had a different opinion, but that wasn't the case.
    I really hate seeing people argue with older smarter Firefighters such as yourself. So, I am not arguing, just bringing up a point. Most explorers, while at the station are on their best behavior--mostly because they are scared of screwing up. Secondly of the explorers on my post, they are some of the better behaved people in general. But if you are ever in Oregon on a Tuesday, come check out our drill. I think you would be pleasantly suprised. Thanks for your calm collected reasonable input, sometimes people display their disgust for explorers in a mean way.

In response to the original post. I ride all of the rigs, the ladder the engine, they Tech Rescue what ever leaves, it helps that all the officers either like me or respect me.

Forum Member

Like everyone else said, you ride what your told to ride. It makes a bad impression for yourself if you go up to the OIC and ask him why you cant ride this or that. I believe that in order for a cadet to ride, you must know every piece of equipment on the rig. You may be asked to go get something, and if you dont know where it is, it can be very embarrasing for you, and very irritating for the person who told you to get the equipment. Like kansas said, a lot of stuff happens in the back of the ambulance that a young kid should not see. I dont think that i could have handled some of the stuff when i was that young. Another reason they might not be allowed to ride is because of the shock and awe factor. When the rescue pulls up to a scene, the cadet might be admiring the scene, and not watching out for the safety factors at the scene. This can happen at any scene, and would not be good if a cadet got hurt. Your time will come to ride the truck and rescue one day, but remember, everybody starts off at the bottom and has to work their way up.

MembersZone Subscriber

I hate this for your department.

I have found that the mental capability/emotional capability although somewhat based in age, knows no age barriers for the most part. Go onto youtube and look around. We have so-called adult firefighters doing amazingly stupid things on a daily basis.

A well run "student" or "junior" firefighter program is a tremendous asset both to the department and the community, as shown in thousands of fire departments across the US.

Alas, I was not a little hellion growing up, I was a MAJOR hellion/PIA....

Back In Black

I would prefer they ride in one of the rigs...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ofdexplorerPV View Post
    The post I am in only lets us ride the Engines and Rescues. You have to be 16 to ride the Engine and you have to be in EMT school to ride the Rescues. If an explorer is at a station with a Tower or Heavy Rescue and they get a good call, do you think the explorer should be allowed to jump on?

Thanks,
    ofdexplorerPV
    I was fortunate enough to have the connections I did that allowed me to pretty much do whatever I wanted. I could go on the engines, rescue, or brush truck. My connections got me in the door but I had to do the rest. I may have been some 14 year-old 7th grade kid, but I earned the respect of the guys (and gals). I may be young, but I've had experiences that some paid people have never had. I'm no officer, but they treat me like one, listen to me, and heck even the chiefs ask for my opinion on what to do. Now, I didn't have any rules on what I could ride like you do, but I think it still stands that no matter what piece it is, you have to earn their respect. It's not something that's just handed to you.

Thread Information