Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shag23 View Post
    ...We also have our ISO coming up next year. But all that depends on if something shorter will work for us.
    To receive maximum points for your insurance rating, ISO says you need an aerial capable of reaching the roof your tallest building, OR a 100-foot aerial.

Our issue is building setbacks; in other words, a 3-4 story building that sits 100 feet off the curb will require a 1oo-ft aerial for max points.

C6

MembersZone Subscriber

Default retiredchiefone

Our dept is in the process of replacing our old 1972 American Laf Aerial. We are leaning toward a stick or a 75' or 85' platform. We are located in the mountains of NC so we have some tight roads. I was wondering if anyone knows of a websites or articles that has reviewed trucks for areas like ours. I was wanting to know turning radius, wheelbases and etc. For some of the truck manufactures before we start contacting ever dealer. Some of the manufactures will give truck dimensions like Sutphen but most of them will not. Anyone have information that you can give or know of?
    Some of the manufactures we are thinking of is- Sutphen, Pierce, KME and Rosenbauer.
    Plus if anyone knows of any problems with any of those companys feel free to share.
    Thank you LT. Justin Setser Franklin Fire and Rescue Franklin, NC
    I really dislike someone's voicing a native opinion about any manufacturer without backing it up for whatever reason they may have. RE: Command 6 who states that he is not a fan of Rosenbauer. It would be interesting to fine out why he is not a fan of rosenbauer.
    His reasons may have had an influence on the fire department requesting information to where they may not contact that manufacturer. I have been affiliated with Rosenbauer for over twenty years. With that being said, I would like to influence you to take a look the Rosenbauer product. Rosenbauer is the second largest builder of fire apparatus in the United States, and the largest builder of apparatus in the world. The aerial division has been manufacturing all types of aerial devices from streight aerials to telecoping water ways(Tela-squart) to standard platforms to the articulating/telescopic platform that competes with the Branto. With this in mine, they must be doing something right. They have also been manufacturing these type of devices for twenty-five years without a catastrophic failure. Again, must be doing something right. Since your fire department is only 300 miles from Raleigh, I would suggest going to the North Carolina chief conference the second week in August. By looking at the Rosenbauer products, you will see that they offer a 77' foot straight stick "Smart Aerial". One configuration you may be interested in is built on a Spartan Gladiator 46 degree turning radius, Cummins ISL 450 HP engine with a 141" inch cab to axle on a 195" inch wheelbase with a body length of 36' feet 7" inches. The truck carries 480 gallons of water, 20 gallon foam tank and a 2000 GPM pump. The "Smart Aerial" offers you the following features: Self Leveling Aerial Jacks, Soft Touch Aerial Controls, Built-In Envelope control that eliminates the aerial from hitting any part of the body and chassis, Remote control device that controls all aerial and waterway functions from up to 300' feet away from the truck, safe operation of the aerial as a watertower off the short jack side of the truck, self bedding of the aerial into it's cradle, When the aerial is approaching an unsafe condition, it will automatic shut down elimating the possibility of turning the truck over. There is also an option of operating the aerial in a seated position along with galvanizing the aerial device which extends the life of that unit. I feel this is enough information to have you a lease take time out to look at.

Forum Member

Check out this Rosie Platform
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011 at 05:29 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

A lot of errors in that promo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

No salesman speels allowed on this board!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Especially by someone that needs Hooked on Phonics.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Smile

I really dislike someone's voicing a native opinion about any manufacturer without backing it up for whatever reason they may have. RE: Command 6 who states that he is not a fan of Rosenbauer. It would be interesting to fine out why he is not a fan of rosenbauer.

"I don't like Rosenbauer because I once worked for a dealer that sold them. The only trucks I have worked on in the last 15 years that I think were bigger POS's were the short lived EEI's".
    The A/C is not cold enough, the warning lights are not bright enough, siren is not loud enough, the C.D. player skips every time we jump a curb, cab doors only open to 89.5* and it's been like this since day one!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default retiredchiefone

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    I am not a sales person for Rosenbauer. Just stating the facts so that other fire departments can make their own decision.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Aerial Truck Questions

The Valley Regional Fire Authority evolved from a 1971 75' Mack Baker Aerialscope to the 2009 Rosenbauer 102' HME/Metz ladder truck that we currently have in-service. The new truck has been in service for almost a year now, we have to remind our personnel that this is not a "platform", it is a ladder truck with a rescue basket versus the tips flip down steps for ease of operation. 99 percent of our operations occur with the rescue basket in-place. It runs as a quint out of our headquarters fire station in Auburn. The City of Victoria BC just got their new Metz delivered and I believe its now in-service. The Fire Auhtority performed an extensive needs assessment prior to developing our aerial ladder specifications, this information was placed into an RFP and was competitavely bid on. We were able to justify some of the additional ($) costs because of the advanced technology and safety systems that this unit offers. If you look at some of the photos, we've maximized as much compartment space as was humanly possible. I carries a full aerial compliment of ground ladders, we increased the water tanks size to 300 gallons with a 20 gallon foam cell and a 1500gpm pump. We are fortunate to be located in a well hydranted urban area. It carries 400' of 5" LDH supply hose in the rear pull out hose tray. I have included some photos of our truck, I have a quite a few pictures and some additional information posted under the "Rosenbauer Trucks" thread in the firehouse forum. We were very impressed with the quality of our rosenbauers construction "General Plant".

Since the purchase of the HME Rosenbauer/Metz ladder truck we have also went out to RFP bid for (2) new custom fire pumpers. 6 manufacturers submitted competitive bids, Rosenbauer was recently awarded that contract. We have our preconstruction meeting next week in Wyoming Minnesota. We applied for and received an ecology grant to fund the Greenstar Idle Reduction Technology feature on both new engines. The customer service we have received out of both Rosenbauer and General Fire (Spokane Washington) has been simply fantastic. PJ
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    His reasons may have had an influence on the fire department requesting information to where they may not contact that manufacturer. I have been affiliated with Rosenbauer for over twenty years. With that being said, I would like to influence you to take a look the Rosenbauer product. Rosenbauer is the second largest builder of fire apparatus in the United States, and the largest builder of apparatus in the world. The aerial division has been manufacturing all types of aerial devices from streight aerials to telecoping water ways(Tela-squart) to standard platforms to the articulating/telescopic platform that competes with the Branto. With this in mine, they must be doing something right. They have also been manufacturing these type of devices for twenty-five years without a catastrophic failure. Again, must be doing something right. Since your fire department is only 300 miles from Raleigh, I would suggest going to the North Carolina chief conference the second week in August. By looking at the Rosenbauer products, you will see that they offer a 77' foot straight stick "Smart Aerial". One configuration you may be interested in is built on a Spartan Gladiator 46 degree turning radius, Cummins ISL 450 HP engine with a 141" inch cab to axle on a 195" inch wheelbase with a body length of 36' feet 7" inches. The truck carries 480 gallons of water, 20 gallon foam tank and a 2000 GPM pump. The "Smart Aerial" offers you the following features: Self Leveling Aerial Jacks, Soft Touch Aerial Controls, Built-In Envelope control that eliminates the aerial from hitting any part of the body and chassis, Remote control device that controls all aerial and waterway functions from up to 300' feet away from the truck, safe operation of the aerial as a watertower off the short jack side of the truck, self bedding of the aerial into it's cradle, When the aerial is approaching an unsafe condition, it will automatic shut down elimating the possibility of turning the truck over. There is also an option of operating the aerial in a seated position along with galvanizing the aerial device which extends the life of that unit. I feel this is enough information to have you a lease take time out to look at.
    We have looked at Rosenbauer and have received some literature from them. They told me they have a demo truck going around our area and we are going to try to look at it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    To receive maximum points for your insurance rating, ISO says you need an aerial capable of reaching the roof your tallest building, OR a 100-foot aerial.

Our issue is building setbacks; in other words, a 3-4 story building that sits 100 feet off the curb will require a 1oo-ft aerial for max points.

C6
    We had a 75' eone stick and a 75' sutphen platform come down the other night and they will reach our tallest building. But we also have to think about someone building something taller in the next fifteen years or so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EES_SEAN View Post
    It sounds like you have a good grasp on what you're looking for, except comparing platforms and straight ladders to each other is a little odd as they both serve similar purposes, but in unique ways.

If your looking to consider a straight ladder, the Sutphen SL75 or SL100 should both be looked at heavily as well. Both are some of the strongest weight rated ladders with the least amount of travel weight. Both are also available in Quint configurations with industry leading compartment space.

I am a Sutphen rep, however I do not work for your area. However, if you have any questions or would like any more information, please do not hesitate to ask either on the boards here or privately.

Thanks and Stay Safe!
    The biggest reason is we have firemen that love platforms and some love sticks. So we are just looking at both and trying to see what will work the best for us. We have never had a ladder and here you can see what we are going from.
    http://franklinfire-rescue.com/image...-19-20_020.jpg

Forum Member

How do you climb down that Metz ladder and get to the ground? or up to the ladder?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    How do you climb down that Metz ladder and get to the ground? or up to the ladder?
    The same way you climb any other ladder. However, given the choice I'm going to ride down in the rescue cage and be on the ground in 15 seconds versus climbing down a ladder. Why climb when you can ride?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post
    The same way you climb any other ladder. However, given the choice I'm going to ride down in the rescue cage and be on the ground in 15 seconds versus climbing down a ladder. Why climb when you can ride?
    because I'm not lazy

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nameless View Post
    because I'm not lazy
    It seems to me that a continuous method of egress would me most efficient.

Forum Member

The first person I ever rescued was 88 years old, weighed 385 pounds and only had one leg. Picked him out of a 5th floor window. I was quite happy to have a platform that day.

Forum Member

Silly me, I thought the purpose of a ladder was so you could climb it when necessary. Guess you never had to tell that next person "wait here...we'll be back".

To further clarify, how to do get off the bottom of the ladder? The one picture above makes it look like you need an attic ladder or such to get from the ground up to the ladder.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Pull out ladder is in front of the drivers side rear wheels.
    "There's no such thing as a bad day,
    Some are just better than others." JFR 1914-1997

Forum Member

The biggest reason is we have firemen that love platforms and some love sticks. So we are just looking at both and trying to see what will work the best for us. We have never had a ladder and here you can see what we are going from.
    http://franklinfire-rescue.com/image...-19-20_020.jpg
    That is a beautiful classig rig. Best of luck filling those shoes!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evtrandy View Post

"I don't like Rosenbauer because I once worked for a dealer that sold them. The only trucks I have worked on in the last 15 years that I think were bigger POS's were the short lived EEI's".
    Our experience is just the opposite. Don't have a Rosie aerial but we have 3 Engines that are Rosie built to OUR specs.Going on ten years,outside of a few fasteners loosening up,NO issues. Our neighbors to the North run a pair with similar results,no issues.I certainly would NOT rule them out in future purchases. T.C.

Forum Member

Silly me, I thought the purpose of a ladder was so you could climb it when necessary. Guess you never had to tell that next person "wait here...we'll be back".

To further clarify, how to do get off the bottom of the ladder? The one picture above makes it look like you need an attic ladder or such to get from the ground up to the ladder.
    Bones,next time you get near a show,take a look. Not much different than any other aerial.Using the steps built onto both sides of the body works best. T.C.

Forum Member

You step onto the platform like every ladder except the platform is to the right of the ladder set rather then to the rear. You could use an attic ladder but then again, that would be an option with ANY ladder, right? Seriously though, to get from the ladder to the ground, you use either the access ladder or folding steps just like every other aerial.

I believe the point he was making is that the Metz is so fast that you could bring someone down much faster then if they were to climb down. Are you going to expect granny to climb down or take the elevator? Like any aerial ladder, you can climb it easily unlike the Scope and Sutphen.

Forum Member

Ok, looking at the middle picture of the VFRA truck above...I see the operators chair on the left side, something on the right side which to me looks like it's in your way of stepping off the side, and nothing on the rear end of that ladder.

Granted, it's at negative degrees, but if it was at a positive climbing angle, it just looks difficult to get from the truck up onto that ladder and/or off that ladder.

If it uses fold down steps (white thing at rear of ladder?) do they limit movement/angle of the ladder when they are folded down?

And I understand the speed of the Metz ladders. Just have a hard time telling person #3, sorry you have to wait.

Forum Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even with a straight stick there is always the potential that someone would have to wait because you more than likely only have a 500-750 pound tip load which must be distributed.

I don't think you can put 4 guys on the fly section of the aerial and expect them to climb down right behind each other. I believe you are only suppose to have 1-2 guys per section at a time depending on the rating.

With the Raptor, you can easily put 3-4 normal size people in the cage and bring them down rapidly. The Raptor also has a target control function which will return you exactly to the point of the waiting the victims while using one joystick. I'm not sure if it's ever been tried but I would imagine that if you put 10 people in a 4th story window that Raptor could bring down 10 people in half the time that it takes 10 people to climb down a ladder.

One other thing that was pointed out to me about the Raptor is that if you do have people that are able to climb, the Raptor does support bridging which allows you to have as many as 12 people on the ladder at one time. I was told they can do this because the ladder is pretensioned when they weld it. In other words when you load up an American style truss ladder, it will bow. The Raptor is welded with an upward "bow" in it from the factory so any load just straightens it out and that's why you can bridge. This would be similar to any flatbed you see driving down the highway unloaded. You'll notice they always have an arch to them. When they are loaded up, they will then flatten out. Regardless, after seeing the speed of the Raptor, I still think it would be quicker to bring them down in the cage.

I'm not sure if you can bridge with an normal truss ladder or not? I don't think you can?

Thread Information