1. #76
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shag23 View Post
    Tonight is the night.
    Let us know how things turn out.

  2. #77
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Perhaps wncfireman has had a different experience with E-One? Just saying.
    perhaps....

    But no experience, or even 3 combined bad experiences can say that ___anything is the "worst". Especially with the performance reputation as E-One has.

  3. #78
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    franklin, nc
    Posts
    43

    Default

    I don't know but maybe its more the reps fault in our area. Because I live in WNC as well and have never really heard great stuff about E-one. I personally don't have any issues for myself because we don't have any E-ones at our stations. But about every other station around us does. Now of course the reps don't build the trucks so that's not there fault. But I was talking to another fireman at lunch today and he was telling us the problems they have had with getting stuff warrantied on there E-one. Plus we are in the mountains and the mountains can be hard on trucks and that could have a lot to do with it as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    WNCFIREMAN, obviously, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about, additionally have ZERO experience with an E-One.

    As far as AERIALS go, I would rate E-One the best, I could waste hours here typing reasons. Lets go with shortest jack spread, no pinning, fastest true setup time, heaviest tip load on the market for platforms @1305 lbs dry and 805 lbs flowing water. The widest ladder to walk down, the gator grip rungs, the ease of maintenance and inspection, ease of weld inspection, no need to paint.
    I could go on.

    I would NEVER buy a steel aerial, painting, replace rung wraps (which fall off at the worst times) the weld testing and inspection, wire brushing welds for visual inspection, the overall weight of the apparatus, etc. They are good products, just a lot on the maintenance side.

    Pierce does make some nice aluminum ladders and towers now, after they realized they lost a lot of business to E-One on Aluminum game.

    Pierce is a great manufacture, as with everyone else, they have had small issues over the years.

    I will not talk about sutphen, dont know anything about them, except I never hear anything negative from people who owned them, which, when you think about it, that says a lot.

    I am deathly afraid of KME and Ferrera's. I know of issues with KMEs first hand, but until I can find the documentation, I am not going to blurt garbage. As far as Ferrera's go I think my 82 Pontiac Fiero was built to better standards.

    But for you ignorance to say E-one is the worst! Speaks mountains of your lack of experience and knowledge of aerials, and you obviously buy ANY garbage anyone sells you.

    I mean this with all due respect. It is not my intent to get down on anyone here, we are all brothers, trying to learn from each others pros and cons, our life experiences, and our lessons learned.

    I would urge EVERYONE to take a closer look at E-One aerials. They are superior in many ways.

    Something else to look at is the inside dimensions of the last fly of every aerial. Some steel ladders are a very tight climb, the inside rung width is so small.

  4. #79
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shag23 View Post
    I don't know but maybe its more the reps fault in our area. Because I live in WNC as well and have never really heard great stuff about E-one. I personally don't have any issues for myself because we don't have any E-ones at our stations. But about every other station around us does. Now of course the reps don't build the trucks so that's not there fault. But I was talking to another fireman at lunch today and he was telling us the problems they have had with getting stuff warrantied on there E-one. Plus we are in the mountains and the mountains can be hard on trucks and that could have a lot to do with it as well.
    Brother, I understand the mountains. I lived in North NJ and we had some hills, and some climbs for our trucks... maybe nothing compared to your local.

    Warranty issues are just that. But when it comes to E-One and Aerials I cannot find anyone with a legitimate problem.

    Every manufacture has issues, every mechanical thing breaks down. And it is up to the service people to fix it, if service companies suck, or are far away, that is an issue.

    However, making a blanket statement that E-One was the worst bidder for an aerial is pure ignorant.

  5. #80
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    franklin, nc
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Yeah I have never heard anything negative about their ladders. It's always been the chassis I hear the issues. Plus everything can have problems those things can happen. It's like the old EEI company, we two and have never had much issues with them at all. Then I get on here see people talking about how bad those where. So you never know.

    Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    Brother, I understand the mountains. I lived in North NJ and we had some hills, and some climbs for our trucks... maybe nothing compared to your local.

    Warranty issues are just that. But when it comes to E-One and Aerials I cannot find anyone with a legitimate problem.

    Every manufacture has issues, every mechanical thing breaks down. And it is up to the service people to fix it, if service companies suck, or are far away, that is an issue.

    However, making a blanket statement that E-One was the worst bidder for an aerial is pure ignorant.

  6. #81
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    franklin, nc
    Posts
    43

    Default

    The Town board approved both of the trucks we wanted at a ten year lease. One will be the Pierce 75' ladder that I posted a couple of weeks ago. And the other will be a Pierce Frieghtliner extended cab chassis with the responder body in a PUC design. That is the same body we wanted on our custom cab. The engine is on the assembly line now and we could expect it in about four to five months. We should be able to get the aerial in about 60 days. When they arrive I'll post some more pics so everyone can see them. Thank you to everyone that helped and sent us some valued information. This is a good day for Franklin Fire & Rescue.
    Last edited by shag23; 10-04-2011 at 08:59 AM.

  7. #82
    Forum Member
    GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shag23 View Post
    The Town board approved both of the trucks we wanted at a ten year lease. One will be the Pierce 75' ladder that I posted a couple of weeks ago. And the other will be a Pierce Frieghtliner extended cab chassis with the responder body in a PUC design. That is the same body we wanted on our custom cab. The engine is on the assembly line now and we could expect it in about four to five months. We should be able to get the aerial in about 60 days. When they arrive I'll post some more pics so everyone can see them. Thank you to everyone that help and sent us some valued information. This is a good day for Franklin Fire & Rescue.
    Congratulations! That is a heck of a step in the right direction.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  8. #83
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shag23 View Post
    The Town board approved both of the trucks we wanted at a ten year lease. One will be the Pierce 75' ladder that I posted a couple of weeks ago. And the other will be a Pierce Frieghtliner extended cab chassis with the responder body in a PUC design. That is the same body we wanted on our custom cab. The engine is on the assembly line now and we could expect it in about four to five months. We should be able to get the aerial in about 60 days. When they arrive I'll post some more pics so everyone can see them. Thank you to everyone that help and sent us some valued information. This is a good day for Franklin Fire & Rescue.
    Congratulations! Good job guys!

  9. #84
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post

    However, making a blanket statement that E-One was the worst bidder for an aerial is pure ignorant.
    Much like making a blanket statement that E-One is the absolute best.

  10. #85
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Much like making a blanket statement that E-One is the absolute best.
    Please show me where I stated that "E-One is the absolute best"

    Man you have your hate game on today...

    I looked back, and I did State

    "As far as AERIALS go, I would rate E-One the best, I could waste hours here typing reasons. "

    I meant to say, that I would rate E-One, one of the best.

    However, it is what it is, and I stated it, and even more so, I stand behind the statement. For the reasons previously posted, and then some.

    Show me why, an E-One is not superior as far as Aerial Apparatus.

    Please enlighten me with Facts.

    I can share with the forum, why my 9+ years experience, as a FF, a chauffeur, a mechanic/ engineer, on a E-One Quint Tower, why I feel that not only do I feel it was a great purchase, why my company, and committee stand behind the purchase, and recommend, to people who havent considered looking at E-One while purchase an aerial, should really take a closer look.

    I am willing to share pure facts, and also opinions additionally, I will backup everything I say.
    Last edited by oper77; 10-04-2011 at 09:57 AM. Reason: correction

  11. #86
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,678

    Default

    oper77....how many years were spent on a non-EOne aerial? How do you make a fair comparison with no time spend on another manufacturers?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  12. #87
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    oper77....how many years were spent on a non-EOne aerial? How do you make a fair comparison with no time spend on another manufacturers?
    9+ on an E-one.

    And a fair comparison, is called research, demo, and also talk to sister companies that own other products.

    I usually first start by laying out a spread sheet and put down the manufactures of the equipment, in this case aerials, and then list there facts from their brochures. Then I talk to their sales guys and get their input, add in the mechanics input. Then I will contact neighboring companies and talk to the officers and engineers and get their input. I often attend demos, I am scheduled to be at a Pierce demo next thursday evening. I try to go to as many demos a year as possible. I try to get to operate everyones equipment.


    I try to understand everyones input and then create a list of pros and cons.

    So, I say outside of my personal experience I do a fair amount of unbiased research. I spent almost a year comparing equipment prior to purchasing the 02 tower quint from E-one. Including operational aspects of the equipment, ease of operability, timing of movement, setup, stow, simulated rescue, smoothness of operation, these are some of the things I take into account when demo-ing a piece, whether it is at a show, or a shop, or a neighboring towns equipment.

    I try to be as open minded as possible and try to compare facts to facts. When opinions prevail, I try to group them with other opinions and try to see if I can take make a presumption of fact or fiction based off of that group of opinions.

    It is also up to the individual purchaser to see what facts are important to them. e.g. some co may like a wider jack spread, or pinnable jacks. My community liked the cross jacks that had no pins and that could jack in tighter positions than the comparable other rigs. We also were turned on by the greater tip load capacity of wet and dry work, compared to the rest of the market. We were happy about the ease of maintenance of aluminum compared to the steel counter parts in the market.

    If this sucks, I am sorry, I dont know what to tell you. All though it may seem, I do not favor one manufacture over any other. I do my analysis, and weigh the pros and cons. Who knows, maybe next year, Pierce, or Rosie, or someone else will come out with something that challenges the tower or sticks put out by E-One. Maybe next year, I will be talking about the pros of someone elses equipment. However, I have not found something, since 02, that has changed my mind drastically, away from an E-one Aluminum Aerial whether it be a stick or a tower.

  13. #88
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    I can share with the forum, why my 9+ years experience, as a FF, a chauffeur, a mechanic/ engineer, on a E-One Quint Tower, why I feel that not only do I feel it was a great purchase...
    Quote Originally Posted by oper77
    Lets see how many OSHA certs I possess, how many EM 385 certs I possess, the fact that I have OSHA 510, and 500, and am certified to instruct.
    Quote Originally Posted by oper77
    I am a CHST and I work a lot with OSHA, NIOSH, EM 385-1-1, and NAVFAC. I am NOT a CSP or CIH. I am not a know it all with safety, but I am certified at risk analysts.
    Off topic: Why do you feel the need to post your resume' in every thread in which someone challenges your way of thinking?

    Related:
    Quote Originally Posted by oper77
    Show me why, an E-One is not superior as far as Aerial Apparatus.

    Please enlighten me with Facts.
    Semantics. What "facts" do you want as to why one customer feels that Sutphen is superior, and another feels that Rosenbauer is superior? Their communities have have different needs, financial constraints, set backs, turning radius issues, etc than yours...so the facts they present might apply to their situation and not yours.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  14. #89
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Off topic: Why do you feel the need to post your resume' in every thread in which someone challenges your way of thinking?

    Related:


    Semantics. What "facts" do you want as to why one customer feels that Sutphen is superior, and another feels that Rosenbauer is superior? Their communities have have different needs, financial constraints, set backs, turning radius issues, etc than yours...so the facts they present might apply to their situation and not yours.
    First off, when challenged, I feel I should show the reason. And if you want a resume, pm me and I will send you my linkedin profile or cv. Now if everyone is going to challenge my intelligence, should I not back it up? Also, do the main posters in the forums want to beat all the new poasters into submission, or share experience, opinions and information that someone could and may benefit from.

    I am not here to **** in anyone cheerios, but I feel a few are here to do that to me.


    My point Exactly. Each community has different needs. However, I was debating after someone posted that E-One was the worst of the bidders on an Aerial. I merely questioned their position of why they feel it is the worst, obviously not from real world experience, more from here say.

    Superiority as I was explaining it was in the rehlems of tip loads, jack spreads, practicality of operation, smoothness of operation, etc.

  15. #90
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shag23 View Post
    The Town board approved both of the trucks we wanted at a ten year lease. One will be the Pierce 75' ladder that I posted a couple of weeks ago. And the other will be a Pierce Frieghtliner extended cab chassis with the responder body in a PUC design. That is the same body we wanted on our custom cab. The engine is on the assembly line now and we could expect it in about four to five months. We should be able to get the aerial in about 60 days. When they arrive I'll post some more pics so everyone can see them. Thank you to everyone that helped and sent us some valued information. This is a good day for Franklin Fire & Rescue.
    How did you end up leasing?

    How many cab seats?

  16. #91
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Kudos to the Franklin town board for supporting the fire department. Don't forget to post photos of your new rig.

    C6

  17. #92
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    franklin, nc
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    How did you end up leasing?

    How many cab seats?
    See originally we went to bid with The aerial and a custom cab pumper thinking that if we bought two trucks at one time we would get a discount. Well they didn't happen. So are sitting with some bids now for two trucks which we really need that we might not be able to afford. Then at the same time we found the demo aerial I posted pics of and found it to be very close to what we bid. The price was less and then we compromised on the custom cab pumper to a commercial cab pumper and only had to give up three seats. We where able to save about $250,000 and get both trucks. If we went to the town with the bids we might not get both trucks. We pretty much knew we would get an aerial, but the pumper wasn't a done deal.

    The lease isn't like your typical car lease there are now year or mileage restraints on the lease. At the end of the lease we can buy the truck for a dollar or just give it back to Pierce and go in another direction if we want to.

    The ladder will seat 6, 5 air pack seats and the pumper will seat three with two air pack seats. The pumper will look like this but will full compartments on officer side. Ladders will go in body like the custom would have.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shag23; 10-05-2011 at 02:10 PM.

  18. #93
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    franklin, nc
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Kudos to the Franklin town board for supporting the fire department. Don't forget to post photos of your new rig.

    C6
    I will, everyone at the dept is very happy. We finally feel like we will some equipment to work with now.

  19. #94
    Forum Member
    Bones42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Pt. Beach, NJ
    Posts
    10,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    9+ on an E-one.

    And a fair comparison, is called research, demo, and also talk to sister companies that own other products.

    I usually first start by laying out a spread sheet and put down the manufactures of the equipment, in this case aerials, and then list there facts from their brochures. Then I talk to their sales guys and get their input, add in the mechanics input. Then I will contact neighboring companies and talk to the officers and engineers and get their input. I often attend demos, I am scheduled to be at a Pierce demo next thursday evening. I try to go to as many demos a year as possible. I try to get to operate everyones equipment.


    I try to understand everyones input and then create a list of pros and cons.

    So, I say outside of my personal experience I do a fair amount of unbiased research. I spent almost a year comparing equipment prior to purchasing the 02 tower quint from E-one. Including operational aspects of the equipment, ease of operability, timing of movement, setup, stow, simulated rescue, smoothness of operation, these are some of the things I take into account when demo-ing a piece, whether it is at a show, or a shop, or a neighboring towns equipment.

    I try to be as open minded as possible and try to compare facts to facts. When opinions prevail, I try to group them with other opinions and try to see if I can take make a presumption of fact or fiction based off of that group of opinions.

    It is also up to the individual purchaser to see what facts are important to them. e.g. some co may like a wider jack spread, or pinnable jacks. My community liked the cross jacks that had no pins and that could jack in tighter positions than the comparable other rigs. We also were turned on by the greater tip load capacity of wet and dry work, compared to the rest of the market. We were happy about the ease of maintenance of aluminum compared to the steel counter parts in the market.

    If this sucks, I am sorry, I dont know what to tell you. All though it may seem, I do not favor one manufacture over any other. I do my analysis, and weigh the pros and cons. Who knows, maybe next year, Pierce, or Rosie, or someone else will come out with something that challenges the tower or sticks put out by E-One. Maybe next year, I will be talking about the pros of someone elses equipment. However, I have not found something, since 02, that has changed my mind drastically, away from an E-one Aluminum Aerial whether it be a stick or a tower.
    Ok, that answered my question.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

  20. #95
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    Please show me where I stated that "E-One is the absolute best"

    Man you have your hate game on today...

    I looked back, and I did State

    "As far as AERIALS go, I would rate E-One the best, I could waste hours here typing reasons. "

    I meant to say, that I would rate E-One, one of the best.

    However, it is what it is, and I stated it, and even more so, I stand behind the statement. For the reasons previously posted, and then some.

    Show me why, an E-One is not superior as far as Aerial Apparatus.

    Please enlighten me with Facts.

    I can share with the forum, why my 9+ years experience, as a FF, a chauffeur, a mechanic/ engineer, on a E-One Quint Tower, why I feel that not only do I feel it was a great purchase, why my company, and committee stand behind the purchase, and recommend, to people who havent considered looking at E-One while purchase an aerial, should really take a closer look.

    I am willing to share pure facts, and also opinions additionally, I will backup everything I say.
    I'll set a Raptor against your E-one on Setup. You WON'T be happy. Metz has the fastest setup,hands down.As memory serves, jacked and at 100' in just around a minute T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 10-06-2011 at 07:57 PM.

  21. #96
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I'll set a Raptor against your E-one on Setup. You WON'T be happy. Metz has the fastest setup,hands down.As memory serves, jacked and at 100' in just around a minute T.C.
    And that's with one hand tied behind your back too! hehe

  22. #97
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    franklin, nc
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Here is an article from one of our local papers about the leasing of the trucks.

    http://www.maconnews.com/news/1879-f...fighting-fleet

  23. #98
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    598

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    9+ on an E-one.

    We also were turned on by the greater tip load capacity of wet and dry work, compared to the rest of the market.
    Apparently, you didn't spend as much time on research as you claim.

    Perhaps they had what you needed under your circumstances but, tip load capacity is your only concern?

    What if you had to do a horizontal rescue? Compare E-One load charts to comparable models at zero degrees and look at the max tip load AND horizontal reach. Right there you will find your jack spread difference.

    Oh, you don't do horizontal rescue? How about horizontal reach at full elevation? Darn. That doesn't come out too good either, does it?

    Well, at least you have your tip load. Or, do you? Their load charts can be so complex the operator should be forced to wear a HUD.

    Not that I have ever researched this issue. I bow to your superior knowledge.

  24. #99
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    Apparently, you didn't spend as much time on research as you claim.

    Perhaps they had what you needed under your circumstances but, tip load capacity is your only concern?

    What if you had to do a horizontal rescue? Compare E-One load charts to comparable models at zero degrees and look at the max tip load AND horizontal reach. Right there you will find your jack spread difference.

    Oh, you don't do horizontal rescue? How about horizontal reach at full elevation? Darn. That doesn't come out too good either, does it?

    Well, at least you have your tip load. Or, do you? Their load charts can be so complex the operator should be forced to wear a HUD.

    Not that I have ever researched this issue. I bow to your superior knowledge.

    WHAT?!

    E-One Hp100 lets you run 1305 all angles from neg 6% to 80% with NO water, or 500lbs / 805 lbs flowing water. ALL ANGLES.

    And I think its an easy chart to read.

    Why dont you name your rig, we will pull the specs on both, and we will compare them.

  25. #100
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    South Jersey (The 51st State)
    Posts
    11

    Default

    That ladder, regardless of how wonderfully strong it is at 2.5-1, isn't worth a damn when the chassis it's pinned to is out of service... or the body is falling off it... or the electronics are failing... and so on and so on and so on.

    (BTW... This comment in NO WAY reflects the opinions of my employer or the companies we represent)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Innovation - Latest new developments in aerial ladder Safety
    By retiredchiefone in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 09:59 PM
  2. Aerial tower vs. ladder
    By NobodyAnymore in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 05:04 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 08-04-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 09:25 AM
  4. World Of Fire Report: 08-01-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 07:38 AM
  5. Stolen: One Poynor VFD fire truck
    By Sugarfoot in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 10:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register