Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firepundit View Post
    1250 tank. Still....
    Our way of thinking is when the truck is at the end of its life as a front line pumper it could then serve as a tanker. Plus we have a dept that borders us that we sometimes can beat to their calls. We can run this as a pumper but if they beat us then it can still serve as a tanker.
    Last edited by shag23; 08-05-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Forum Member

my bad - I guess I need to retake first grade - some how I transposed the 500 to the engine. - a 1250 tank is ok in my opinion. Sorry for the hijack.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shag23 View Post
    We have went to bid on a 75' ladder with a mim of a 1250 pump and 500 tank, with a 450 hp cummins engine and with a jak brake. The ladder truck will have a wheelbase of 234" or shorter. We will also be going to bid on a new custom cab pumper as well. The pumper is nothing really fancy just a basic truck with ladders on the side and a 10" newton dump and I believe a 1250 tank and pump.
    How did your bidding go? Who did you all go with?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wncfireman View Post
    How did your bidding go? Who did you all go with?
    We have not awarded anyone with the bid yet. We got bids from Pierce, E-one, Sutphen and HME. I believe they are going to make there decision at our towns next board meeting. Hopefully the town will go for both trucks, because we really need both. Pierce did bring a demo by yesterday that is very close to our specs, that we could look at buying. Here some pics of that truck. It was extremely nice and very well build. Nothing cheap about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

We have not awarded anyone with the bid yet. We got bids from Pierce, E-one, Sutphen and HME. I believe they are going to make there decision at our towns next board meeting. Hopefully the town will go for both trucks, because we really need both. Pierce did bring a demo by yesterday that is very close to our specs, that we could look at buying. Here some pics of that truck. It was extremely nice and very well build. Nothing cheap about it.

Sounds like y'all got some good bids, all are well built trucks. E-One being the worst of them all I'd say.

Forum Member

Where is the hose bed?

Where is the hose bed?
    See the larger two doors on the rear each side of the step? The hose is behind those doors!

Ground ladders are in the door where the step is too.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like y'all got some good bids, all are well built trucks. E-One being the worst of them all I'd say.
    Really? I guess the perfect record for aerials and likely the best jacking system in the industry counts for nothing. HME over E-One? Really?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Really? I guess the perfect record for aerials and likely the best jacking system in the industry counts for nothing. HME over E-One? Really?
    Obviously someone new to the Service,hehe T.C.

And I'd say you don't know what you're talking about.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Obviously someone new to the Service,hehe T.C.
    It appears several of us came to the same conclusion fairly quickly! As the EMSer's say: Confirmed in three leads!

Forum Member

I have to echo that sentiment. EONE aerials have been proven in service and have a good jack system. They are no garbage brand by any means, and I'd say better than some of the other bidders.

Forum Member

Tonight is the night. Our Town board is to vote on to whether or not to let us buy our aerial and pumper. We are 99% sure we will get the aerial we want the, but the pumper is still the question. We decided to go with a commercial chassis and not a custom so we would have a better chance of getting the truck we want. It still has the body we want but on an extended cab Freightliner. We are actually looking at two demo's so the turn around on recieving the truck will be shorter. Plus the savings are a lot higher as well.

Forum Member

WNCFIREMAN, obviously, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about, additionally have ZERO experience with an E-One.

As far as AERIALS go, I would rate E-One the best, I could waste hours here typing reasons. Lets go with shortest jack spread, no pinning, fastest true setup time, heaviest tip load on the market for platforms @1305 lbs dry and 805 lbs flowing water. The widest ladder to walk down, the gator grip rungs, the ease of maintenance and inspection, ease of weld inspection, no need to paint.
    I could go on.

I would NEVER buy a steel aerial, painting, replace rung wraps (which fall off at the worst times) the weld testing and inspection, wire brushing welds for visual inspection, the overall weight of the apparatus, etc. They are good products, just a lot on the maintenance side.

Pierce does make some nice aluminum ladders and towers now, after they realized they lost a lot of business to E-One on Aluminum game.

Pierce is a great manufacture, as with everyone else, they have had small issues over the years.

I will not talk about sutphen, dont know anything about them, except I never hear anything negative from people who owned them, which, when you think about it, that says a lot.

I am deathly afraid of KME and Ferrera's. I know of issues with KMEs first hand, but until I can find the documentation, I am not going to blurt garbage. As far as Ferrera's go I think my 82 Pontiac Fiero was built to better standards.

But for you ignorance to say E-one is the worst! Speaks mountains of your lack of experience and knowledge of aerials, and you obviously buy ANY garbage anyone sells you.

I mean this with all due respect. It is not my intent to get down on anyone here, we are all brothers, trying to learn from each others pros and cons, our life experiences, and our lessons learned.

I would urge EVERYONE to take a closer look at E-One aerials. They are superior in many ways.

Something else to look at is the inside dimensions of the last fly of every aerial. Some steel ladders are a very tight climb, the inside rung width is so small.

Forum Member

Perhaps wncfireman has had a different experience with E-One? Just saying.

Forum Member

Tonight is the night.
    Let us know how things turn out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Perhaps wncfireman has had a different experience with E-One? Just saying.
    perhaps....

But no experience, or even 3 combined bad experiences can say that ___anything is the "worst". Especially with the performance reputation as E-One has.

Forum Member

I don't know but maybe its more the reps fault in our area. Because I live in WNC as well and have never really heard great stuff about E-one. I personally don't have any issues for myself because we don't have any E-ones at our stations. But about every other station around us does. Now of course the reps don't build the trucks so that's not there fault. But I was talking to another fireman at lunch today and he was telling us the problems they have had with getting stuff warrantied on there E-one. Plus we are in the mountains and the mountains can be hard on trucks and that could have a lot to do with it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    WNCFIREMAN, obviously, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about, additionally have ZERO experience with an E-One.

As far as AERIALS go, I would rate E-One the best, I could waste hours here typing reasons. Lets go with shortest jack spread, no pinning, fastest true setup time, heaviest tip load on the market for platforms @1305 lbs dry and 805 lbs flowing water. The widest ladder to walk down, the gator grip rungs, the ease of maintenance and inspection, ease of weld inspection, no need to paint.
    I could go on.

I would NEVER buy a steel aerial, painting, replace rung wraps (which fall off at the worst times) the weld testing and inspection, wire brushing welds for visual inspection, the overall weight of the apparatus, etc. They are good products, just a lot on the maintenance side.

Pierce does make some nice aluminum ladders and towers now, after they realized they lost a lot of business to E-One on Aluminum game.

Pierce is a great manufacture, as with everyone else, they have had small issues over the years.

I will not talk about sutphen, dont know anything about them, except I never hear anything negative from people who owned them, which, when you think about it, that says a lot.

I am deathly afraid of KME and Ferrera's. I know of issues with KMEs first hand, but until I can find the documentation, I am not going to blurt garbage. As far as Ferrera's go I think my 82 Pontiac Fiero was built to better standards.

But for you ignorance to say E-one is the worst! Speaks mountains of your lack of experience and knowledge of aerials, and you obviously buy ANY garbage anyone sells you.

I mean this with all due respect. It is not my intent to get down on anyone here, we are all brothers, trying to learn from each others pros and cons, our life experiences, and our lessons learned.

I would urge EVERYONE to take a closer look at E-One aerials. They are superior in many ways.

Something else to look at is the inside dimensions of the last fly of every aerial. Some steel ladders are a very tight climb, the inside rung width is so small.

Forum Member

I don't know but maybe its more the reps fault in our area. Because I live in WNC as well and have never really heard great stuff about E-one. I personally don't have any issues for myself because we don't have any E-ones at our stations. But about every other station around us does. Now of course the reps don't build the trucks so that's not there fault. But I was talking to another fireman at lunch today and he was telling us the problems they have had with getting stuff warrantied on there E-one. Plus we are in the mountains and the mountains can be hard on trucks and that could have a lot to do with it as well.
    Brother, I understand the mountains. I lived in North NJ and we had some hills, and some climbs for our trucks... maybe nothing compared to your local.

Warranty issues are just that. But when it comes to E-One and Aerials I cannot find anyone with a legitimate problem.

Every manufacture has issues, every mechanical thing breaks down. And it is up to the service people to fix it, if service companies suck, or are far away, that is an issue.

However, making a blanket statement that E-One was the worst bidder for an aerial is pure ignorant.

Forum Member

Yeah I have never heard anything negative about their ladders. It's always been the chassis I hear the issues. Plus everything can have problems those things can happen. It's like the old EEI company, we two and have never had much issues with them at all. Then I get on here see people talking about how bad those where. So you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    Brother, I understand the mountains. I lived in North NJ and we had some hills, and some climbs for our trucks... maybe nothing compared to your local.

Warranty issues are just that. But when it comes to E-One and Aerials I cannot find anyone with a legitimate problem.

Every manufacture has issues, every mechanical thing breaks down. And it is up to the service people to fix it, if service companies suck, or are far away, that is an issue.

However, making a blanket statement that E-One was the worst bidder for an aerial is pure ignorant.

Thread Information