+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EES_SEAN View Post
    That ladder, regardless of how wonderfully strong it is at 2.5-1, isn't worth a damn when the chassis it's pinned to is out of service... or the body is falling off it... or the electronics are failing... and so on and so on and so on.

(BTW... This comment in NO WAY reflects the opinions of my employer or the companies we represent)
    Can't this be said of ANY modern apparatus? T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Can't this be said of ANY modern apparatus? T.C.
    I was wondering if he was pointing this at a particular apparatus?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EES_SEAN View Post
    That ladder, regardless of how wonderfully strong it is at 2.5-1, isn't worth a damn when the chassis it's pinned to is out of service... or the body is falling off it... or the electronics are failing... and so on and so on and so on.

(BTW... This comment in NO WAY reflects the opinions of my employer or the companies we represent)
    Care to narrow down what you're talking about or do you just enjoy throwing out generalized comments?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Truck is in the final stages of getting lettered and our backup camera installed. We should get it next week. So stay posted for some pics very shortly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oper77 View Post
    9+ on an E-one.

And a fair comparison, is called research, demo, and also talk to sister companies that own other products.

I usually first start by laying out a spread sheet and put down the manufactures of the equipment, in this case aerials, and then list there facts from their brochures. Then I talk to their sales guys and get their input, add in the mechanics input. Then I will contact neighboring companies and talk to the officers and engineers and get their input. I often attend demos, I am scheduled to be at a Pierce demo next thursday evening. I try to go to as many demos a year as possible. I try to get to operate everyones equipment.

I try to understand everyones input and then create a list of pros and cons.

So, I say outside of my personal experience I do a fair amount of unbiased research. I spent almost a year comparing equipment prior to purchasing the 02 tower quint from E-one. Including operational aspects of the equipment, ease of operability, timing of movement, setup, stow, simulated rescue, smoothness of operation, these are some of the things I take into account when demo-ing a piece, whether it is at a show, or a shop, or a neighboring towns equipment.

I try to be as open minded as possible and try to compare facts to facts. When opinions prevail, I try to group them with other opinions and try to see if I can take make a presumption of fact or fiction based off of that group of opinions.

It is also up to the individual purchaser to see what facts are important to them. e.g. some co may like a wider jack spread, or pinnable jacks. My community liked the cross jacks that had no pins and that could jack in tighter positions than the comparable other rigs. We also were turned on by the greater tip load capacity of wet and dry work, compared to the rest of the market. We were happy about the ease of maintenance of aluminum compared to the steel counter parts in the market.

If this sucks, I am sorry, I dont know what to tell you. All though it may seem, I do not favor one manufacture over any other. I do my analysis, and weigh the pros and cons. Who knows, maybe next year, Pierce, or Rosie, or someone else will come out with something that challenges the tower or sticks put out by E-One. Maybe next year, I will be talking about the pros of someone elses equipment. However, I have not found something, since 02, that has changed my mind drastically, away from an E-one Aluminum Aerial whether it be a stick or a tower.
    I beg to differ. research,demos,bullshipping are all factors to be considered but if you haven't actually WORKED a competetors product in your response area then NO,you haven't made a VALID comparison. Ease of maintainence? How tough is an annual aerial evaluation by an UNBIASED third party? We happen to have a Steel Platform,testing and care is pretty straightforward and certainly no more time comsuming than doing an aluminum one CORRECTLY. I've worked off a lot of different brands,I have a few I like pretty well but at the end of the day they are all pretty close in capability. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 12-09-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Forum Member

Default Our New Ladder "Ladder 11" 2011 75' Pierce Impel

Well it has finally arrived and now it is time to get in outfitted and start using her. We would like to thank Triad Fire in NC for all their help in this process.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Forum Member

More photos of the truck and I will tell you this trucks controls are very easy to use. The Cummings engine is very quiet.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Great looking machine! I like the access to the ladder from the rear of the rig.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by shag23 View Post
    The Cummings engine is very quiet.
    Pet Peeve: It's a Cummins engine.

Looks like a great piece, hope it serves you all well.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post

Looks like a great piece, hope it serves you all well.
    Specifically a Hummin' Cummins,Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Nice truck!

I gotta say, tho- holey socks- that driver area is TINY. No wonder Pierce brought back a cab forward chassis... If these post 2010 emissions engine tunnels get any bigger, there won't be room for a driver at all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I thought it was Cummapart?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 First ... 2345

Thread Information