Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DropTank View Post
    Because Dashman, when firefighters do something stupid and irresponsible, it makes ALL firefighters look bad in the public's eye! That is just how it works! Hence my posting this link to encourage other members NOT to do stupid crap like this!
    However, when the fire millage came up for renewal, the results were resoundingly in favor because the fire department cares enough to do things for its citizens (besides put out their fires).

I'd bet that if that video showed up on the local TV news, more people said "how cool is that?" than complained "what a terrific waste of fire department resources - what if my house was on fire?"
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

I understand Bone's point. But this looks a little scary.

Steep hill, deck gun on straight stream...

Got me scratching my head a bit.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

We put companies out of service regularly to perform community service. Like others have said, not enough info to make a judgement. If I had to guess; a slip-n-slide that long isn't a spontaneous event, probably a community event. The engine was probably sent there to perform this service. A contingency plan was probably in place to account for the absence of the engine. As for the straight stream of the deck gun; I didn't hear the pump screaming, so it's probably not a lot of pressure. I'd like to think that the operator knows how much pressure is too much and is dangerous. Let's not assume these guys are idiots, and have just happened upon this and decided to join the party.

I really don't think this is the kind of thing anyone should get their undies in a bundle over.

Quote Originally Posted by The52nd View Post
    I really don't think this is the kind of thing anyone should get their undies in a bundle over.
    Well, everyone has a different risk threshold they are willing to assume.

Generally, I ask myself if the activity in question is worth it.... does it serve some special need....

I just don't see how there is really any benefit to the FD and there is some risk.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Well, everyone has a different risk threshold they are willing to assume.

Generally, I ask myself if the activity in question is worth it.... does it serve some special need....

I just don't see how there is really any benefit to the FD and there is some risk.
    I understand your position, chief. I don't make these kinds of decisions, but I have been at these type of events. I guesss maybe because I'm not sitting in a buggy, or an office some where I get to see first hand the benefit of positive interaction between the public and the fire service. Especially with inner city kids. (not the case here)

As for risk; it's pretty much inherit in everything. What is needed is an honest assessment of risk. I haven't heard of too many catastrophic slip-n-slide accidents. Bumps and bruises, knees skinned on the grass, yes.

But it's all just a matter of opinions, which is why I stated mine.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by The52nd View Post
    I understand your position, chief. I don't make these kinds of decisions, but I have been at these type of events. I guesss maybe because I'm not sitting in a buggy, or an office some where I get to see first hand the benefit of positive interaction between the public and the fire service. Especially with inner city kids. (not the case here)

As for risk; it's pretty much inherit in everything. What is needed is an honest assessment of risk. I haven't heard of too many catastrophic slip-n-slide accidents. Bumps and bruises, knees skinned on the grass, yes.

But it's all just a matter of opinions, which is why I stated mine.
    I'd say that hill looks big enough for someone to break their neck. They have two big rocks at the top holding the plastic down. Not a real professional set up if you ask me, which leads me to think it wasn't well thought out either. I'd say deck gun+people=no go. Maybe with a little better planning and set up, and a hand line it might not be so bad.

Thread Information