Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    I think I see what you're saying now. What about trying from the top down. Cut the b post at the roof line, pop the nader pin at the rear door, take the hinges from the front door, spread it all down and cut.
    That's a good thought. The problem I see with that is that you're spreading between the top of the pillar and the roof. The roof is definitely the weaker of the two. Unless it's a ride-under scenario I'd be worried this would displace the roof rather than the pillar.

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    Or if there isn't room for that, start at the front, take the front door hinges, take the nader pin and youre at the b-pillar.
    Yup. That would be my second choice if access from the rear door was impossible. For sake of dicussion what if the front door nader was just as inaccessible as the rear door hinges?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Something we have done in the past was to spread the front door at the hinges pop the back door at the nader pin then cut the b pillar high. spread with the spreaders until you run out of spreaders then switch to the ram to complete what we called the "sidewall lay down". I would think though that if you are having that much trouble with the rear door the front door and purchase points might be an issue all the way down that side. Perhaps try a verticle spread on the rear door to open up the c-pillar and pop the rear door that way then use your spreaders to open the door to complete your side panel removal.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lewiston2FF View Post
    Something we have done in the past was to spread the front door at the hinges pop the back door at the nader pin then cut the b pillar high. spread with the spreaders until you run out of spreaders then switch to the ram to complete what we called the "sidewall lay down".

I can picture that, but doesn't the roof deform before the pillar?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Ram from center hump in car and/or from driver/passenger seat.

Remove the roof and remove the people vertically.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Agreed GT - there are times we should have removed the B collumn - my point was, go ahead and make sure that cutting the B post might not create some problems that have to be dealt with. We do the rippenblitz quite a bit, this one time we had problems accessing in front of the front door. (two cars pointing the same way, in a vee ,). our best option was to ram the dash on the drivers side, but we had "blitzed both doors. We clamped the spreaders on a 2x4 (also cribbed up the rocker panel/floor and got the job done. I just feel we should have left the B in place and rammed the dash first.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    I can picture that, but doesn't the roof deform before the pillar?
    It has been a while since I have done it but I dont remember it happening. If I remember correctly the rocker panels are not constructed to resist twisting once the top of the b-pillar is cut. If you cut a small section out of the b-pillar and place the tips of your spreader to spread outward you have more mass within the roof than in the rocker panel. Once you get to a certain point you may have the access you need to make some relief cuts to ease your lay down.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

That's a good thought. The problem I see with that is that you're spreading between the top of the pillar and the roof. The roof is definitely the weaker of the two. Unless it's a ride-under scenario I'd be worried this would displace the roof rather than the pillar.
    In that situation you wouldn't always have to spread between the door and the pillar. You could make a relief cut with your shears or pinch with your spreaders and pivot the sidewall down.

I am not a big proponent of leaving giant parts of the vehicle around to get in the way. If I'm taking the side and flipping it down, once I get it to a point where I can cut the whole thing off and move it out of the way, I will. Same thing with a normally resting vehicle or a side resting vehicle, if I'm going to take the roof, I might as well TAKE the roof (as in take it away from the vehicle) Its too easy to get caught up on or impede the rest of the pt. extrication.

For the sake of discussion, lets say that there are two cars side by side. One car is between a jersey wall and the other car. The driver is a trauma and needs to get out now. Obviously, we cannot access either side of the vehicle to extricate the patient.... so lets take the roof and take the fella out vertically.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

depending on the cutter blade size and shape, you can open the blades wide,center at the bottom of b post, press the tool against the doors and close blades. usualy it will bite into the door skins and continue to cut into the b post.
    Rescue Co. 1

Thread Information