Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default New here & new to fire academy. A few Q's?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site and have been in the fire academy p/t for about 2-1/2 months now. I hope this is the correct room to post this question. I'm looking for any help regarding my upcoming fire academy performance objective test (Tool Identification), if anyone would be so kind to suggest some study material, it would be much appreciated, thank you.
    I've been looking all over the internet for detailed information about all the tools, nozzles, equipment, appliances, and their specific uses, sizes, maintenance procedures, etc. but have not had much luck.
    My textbook covers very little regarding the specifics of each tool, example:
    The textbook says the San Francisco Hook is a push/pull tool used for forcible entry. But my instructor will ask me, what are range in sizes? what is it's specific use? why the 90 degree serrated edge? what are the care/maintenance procedures? The list goes on but I think you get idea. This goes for everything on the engine.

Thanks again.

Forum Member

Well most good schools are going to test out of the book or material they give to you, or when they are demonstrating/ talking about the tool

A little strange to ask "off the wall" questions, if the answer is not readliy avaliable in the books or materials supplied.

The other thing is most students get together and work on questions, and the computer geek in the group puts them in the computer and prints them out for the study group.

Forum Member

Show some initiative and stay after class and question your instructors about everything you have questions on. Take good notes. Hell...take a digital camera with you so you can review and so you know what your looking at. Download to your laptop, drop in a Word file, and type everything you need to know about the implement. Then you'll be able to study and have a visual to compare and associate with. And while you're at it...print everything up, make copies and sell them to your classmates! haha....

Thread Information