Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What to apply for

How does everyone figure out what they are applying for. When I ask about something I get the response, "we dont qualify"........How can I check on what we qualify for, and what is available???

Forum Member

Here's a starting point, a little easier than trying to search through the forums. I did a 4 part series way back when in 2005-6, many a podcast, and several more articles that will be good kicking off points in answering that question.

Key word: assessments

http://www.firehouse.com/contributor/2199

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    CEO - Vickers Consulting Services, Inc
    FH.com/Firehouse Mag Contributor
    www.helpmewithgrants.com
    www.facebook.com/vcsinc

MembersZone Subscriber

I have an ever-evolving list of items that I maintain in different categories, such as wildland, structural, apparatus, EMS, training, and rescue. These items cover a pretty good span of things, from the "needs" to the "wants", and even the "damn, it'd be nice to have". I also maintain a cost estimate for each item.

As a grant opens or I become aware of it, I see what items I have listed and what fits into that grant, then ask for the highest priority within that category.

As I get an item, be it through a grant or by budget, I cross it off the list. If something else comes up, I add it.

There's a little more to it, but you can see the system.

Forum Member

For me it is grants for dummies. I know absolutely nothing about grants. So that being said I guess to be really clear about this. How do I know we can ask for gear, or appliances, or whatever I may need. When a grant opens does it specifically state what items can be applied for? Sorry but I have to learn how this works.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nlfireguy View Post
    For me it is grants for dummies. I know absolutely nothing about grants. So that being said I guess to be really clear about this. How do I know we can ask for gear, or appliances, or whatever I may need. When a grant opens does it specifically state what items can be applied for? Sorry but I have to learn how this works.
    Most grants will identify what you can or can't ask for, as well as who's eligible and such as that. Sometimes, you can tweak that a bit, such as the Wal-Mart educational grant that I've seen departments get awarded for in regards to training.

If you have a question that's not addressed in the guidance documents, you can always give them a call to clarify.

From there, it's all about justification and telling them the story of why you need it more than the other guy needs his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by nlfireguy View Post
    By doing what you are doing now, you are taking steps in the right direction. The only dumb questions are those you don't ask and the many people in here, including myself, are a wealth of information and will share our knowledge and answer your questions. Now, that being said, it can be a somewhat slow education process to ask and wait for an answer, ask and wait for an answer etc.

I would highly suggest that you consider attending a grant writing class so that you understand "about" grants and learn the process involved in researching, comprehensively reading guidance documents and performing and conducting a needs assesment and selecting and developing a project that has a high chance of success.

If you will give me a call I am willing to take and hour or so and get you "cognizant" of what the grants game is all about in regards to a fire department.863-551-9598.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information