Thread: Rescue Tools

Forum Member

Default Rescue Tools

What is your ideal rescue tool setup? How many cutters, spreaders, rams, and combi tools would you ideal carry for a medium or light rescue specifically for extraction detail? Would you use mounted or portable generators? If mounted, how many hydrualic reels would you have and where would they be mounted? Also and most importantly, what company would you use perfer, Holmatro or Hurst? Thanks in advance

MembersZone Subscriber

This is not a standard, just my opinion of a basic hydraulic setup, obviously the more the merrier.
    Light to medium, should handle 1 vehicle, basic extrication.
    No combi-tool
    1 quality cutter, 1 spreader, 2-3 rams
    If 2 pumps, 1 mounted simo-pump with 2 pre-connect reels, and a portable with hose
    if only 1 pump, then portable simo
    and at the very least include
    quality recip saw
    2 bottle jacks
    hi lift jack

I have worked with hurst,holmatro, and champion and would reccomend any of the 3. they all have their pros and cons
    Last edited by brozt316; 09-21-2011 at 12:46 AM.
    Rescue Co. 1

Forum Member

You guys like Rams a lot better than I do. We run two rigs for Extrication:One has a good spreader,good cutter,and a ram. Along with a 10 Porto-power and associated hand tools,Lift bags and cribbing. The other rig has a good sized Combi along with Cribbing and hand tools. Looking back over the last 25+ years,I think we've used the ram TWICE. Maybe we've been lucky,but there just isn't much ram use HERE. Probably doesn't hurt that we have a local towing company that usually does the trainings with us and that individual and his staff are all extrication trained. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-21-2011 at 10:52 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

My take ,rams, like most other equipment carried on a rescue, are seldom used, however when you need one, you need one, and they are not a one size fits all.
    I have used rams at least once a year or more, so I consider them a vital component.
    Last edited by brozt316; 09-21-2011 at 10:00 AM.
    Rescue Co. 1

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brozt316 View Post
    My take ,rams, like most other equipment carried on a rescue, are seldom used, however when you need one, you need one, and they are not a one size fits all.
    I have used rams at least once a year or more, so I consider them a vital component.
    I've got Rams,just seldom use them. 98% of the work we do is done with cutters,spreaders and winches. I think that folks brought into the service over the last ten years are much more inclined to use a ram than those of us who have done it for over 25 years. No research data here,just an observation. And you're right,when you need a ram,you NEED a ram. T.C.

Forum Member

Our set up is pretty much just like Rescue 101's. Or it was, before we sold the rescue engine.

Main rescue/pumper had an electric hydraulic pump connected to a single reel on the front bumper. There was a coil of extra hose to use if we wanted to remove the pump from the truck and work off a cord reel. We have a cutter, a spreader, and a ram. All would be connected to a block, so each tool was ready to use when needed. The tools were not preconnected.

Light rescue/squad has a combi tool and gasoline power unit.

All tools are Hurst. I have used Amkus before, and really liked them.

We also carry porta powers, sawz alls, airbags, cribbing, air tools (chisel, cut off wheel, and recip.) etc.

All of this has served us well for many years. I don't recall using the ram very much either. Most depts around us have tools as well, Hurst, Amkus and Holmatro. So, for really gnarly extrications, or multi vehicle mva's there is plenty of help available.

We've seen a decline in people trapped mva's in recent years. Due partly to the State finally doing something about our worst frequent flier intersections, and partly to more neighboring depts getting tools of their own.

Forum Member

For a basic setup this is my idea;
    1 each cutter and spreader on 100' preconnected reels
    1 gas or electric simo pump for the reels (dolly kit or wheel kit make it easier to move)
    1 gas simo pump for remote use
    1 combo tool (enables extrication of second victim in different car)
    2-3 50' hoses for extention.
    1 each short, medium, and long ram
    Accessory kit for ram.
    Pedal cutter

As for mounting, for rural operations, front mounted tools and reels in the bumpers is nice because on narrow roads it's not always possible to drive past or next to the wreck. Urban or metro areas, your choice. One pump should always be portable.
    As far as tool brand, I think Genesis is by far the best brand. Our dept did a 3 month rotation of the major brands and Genesis came out on top. I think they're lighter, more ergonomic, and the controls respond to the lightest touch. The service we get is great. (But the dealer is only about an hour away)

Forum Member

I'll take a different look at this.

How many calls do you go on a year that require the use of a hydraullic rescue tool?

Do your neighboring departments already carry them and can they be added for automatic dispatch on entrapment calls?

Do you already have basic hand tools necessary for extrication (hand saw, glass master, bars, etc.) and familiarity with using them?

The best set up will be highly dependent on how often you will use them, how complex your average extrication is, and how familiar your crew is with extrication practices.

Forum Member

Wow.. Its crazy to hear People say they seldomly use RAMS. We use them on probably 60-70 percent of our actualy extrications. By actual extrication, I mean more than popping a door.

On another note. We use AMKUS and love the quality tool they provide.
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I've got Rams,just seldom use them. 98% of the work we do is done with cutters,spreaders and winches. I think that folks brought into the service over the last ten years are much more inclined to use a ram than those of us who have done it for over 25 years. No research data here,just an observation. And you're right,when you need a ram,you NEED a ram. T.C.
    Just how are you using winches, and what kind and for what? (come-a-long, electric?) We have winches, rarely use them.

Forum Member

Along with being the ***'t Chief here, I also run a Towing& recovery service along with a repair facility. So we have several vehicles to choose from with winches ranging from 4ton to 30 tons. Winches can be used in conjunction with hand/hydraulic tools to lift,displace,and hold various vehicle parts. We also carry a variety of hand winches. I started the extrication service here BEFORE the FD got into the act. Things have progressed(positively)quite a bit since then. With the exception of the hand winches,the rest are hydraulic or mechanical(PTO) drive. My employees and the FD's work and train together so it's just like one agency on scene. This also allows us to set up challenging scenerios to keep skill sets sharp.Like I mentioned earlier,we HAVE rams,just seldom use them. For what we do,it is almost always quicker to use cutters and spreaders. Your point of entry to the service will have a great deal of influence on how much you use a ram in my opinion. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have RAM's on our rescue. Most of calls I've used them on have been for dash rolls or displacement-type use. Dash lifts have largely replaced the roll so the spreader is a viable alternative. Similarly for other displacements a winch or come-along also work.

Are RAM's absolutely required? Maybe not.. but all else being equal I'd rather have set of them then not. They're another tool in the box to be broken out when the scenario and tactics fit.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

That's what I was alluding to earlier. Jobs we MIGHT have used a ram on, we're adapted spreader and cutter use to cover. Do I think having a ram is a GOOD idea? Absolutely! We just don't use ours much. Train with it? Yes we do but 98% of Street ops are handled with the spreaders and cutters. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-18-2012 at 11:30 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Along with being the ***'t Chief here, I also run a Towing& recovery service along with a repair facility. So we have several vehicles to choose from with winches ranging from 4ton to 30 tons. Winches can be used in conjunction with hand/hydraulic tools to lift,displace,and hold various vehicle parts. We also carry a variety of hand winches. I started the extrication service here BEFORE the FD got into the act. Things have progressed(positively)quite a bit since then. With the exception of the hand winches,the rest are hydraulic or mechanical(PTO) drive. My employees and the FD's work and train together so it's just like one agency on scene. This also allows us to set up challenging scenerios to keep skill sets sharp.Like I mentioned earlier,we HAVE rams,just seldom use them. For what we do,it is almost always quicker to use cutters and spreaders. Your point of entry to the service will have a great deal of influence on how much you use a ram in my opinion. T.C.
    Around here, winches are generally used to stabilize a vehicle, or possibly pull a car out from an underide. I don't think I've ever seen one used to actually extricate a victim. We do have arrangements with a few towing companies, one specializes in truck recoverys and has large cranes we can call without worrying about who's gonna pay first. We generally have 2 ton come-a-longs or electric reciever mount winches in the 9,000# range. Not too many hills here so vehicles generally stay put when they go off the road.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our rescue is set up with two high flow simo pumps, a Genesis and the new Amkus electric ultimate, with four reels and one gas simo pump. Two Amkus 32 spreaders, one with standard tips (pre connected), the second as stored has the extended tips which can be swapped for standard tips. We have five cutters, three pre connected for different cutting situations. Pre connected are the smaller Amkus model 25 for tight places like hinges, Amkus Speedway for larger cuts, and the Genesis All-9 for heavy duty and Boron jobs. Mounted are a serrated Amkus panel cutter and a heavy duty Boron capable Genesis 321. We have 4 different sized rams and a combo tool.
    Last edited by BB3939; 02-09-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    BB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post
    Our rescue is set up with two high flow simo pumps, a Genesis and the new Amkus electric ultimate, with four reels and one gas simo pump. Two Amkus 32 spreaders, one with standard tips (pre connected), the second as stored has the extended tips which can be swapped for standard tips. We have five cutters, three pre connected for different cutting situations. Pre connected are the smaller Amkus model 25 for tight places like hinges, Amkus Speedway for larger cuts, and the Genesis All-9 for heavy duty and Boron jobs. Mounted are a serrated Amkus panel cutter and a heavy duty Boron capable Genesis 321. We have 4 different sized rams and a combo tool.
    With all those cutters , Im surprised you dont have a pedal cutter (they sometimes work for seat backs too)
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually I did forget the pedal cutter...it's in another compartment!!!!! Never tried it on a seat back...but we'll keep that in mind. Always looking for a good idea!
    BB

Forum Member

I never thought of using the pedal cutter on a seat back either....but we will now.

Forum Member

They wont work on all of them , but if you slice them open and "plan your cuts" they can work well -espically in a tight space.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BB3939 View Post

That is a pretty nice setup!!! What kind of truck is all this on!?
    .....Leather Head N6A

MembersZone Subscriber

A Sutphen. It took a lot of planning and saving to get out of our previous used 30 year old rig that was underpowered and too small. The new rig is a rescue engine that is 90% rescue, but can be used as a back up engine. The only real problem is it a little big at 37 feet long...However if you want to carry a full rescue compliment of tools...it's going to be a big rig. We carry equipment to meet PA's basic rescue certification. More than just HRT.
    BB

Forum Member

Have worked with BB3939 it is a great truck. Good group of guys to work with.

Forum Member

the county I live in just got a couple Sutphen trucks. 1 heavy pumper, 1 heavy rescue , and a 70' mid mount platform. Nice rigs.
    .....Leather Head N6A

Thread Information