Forum Member

Default Attire to interview

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what to wear to an interview. I just got letter from a local call/volunteer dept that I applied to stating I have been scheduled for an interview. Nothing was stated on proper attire. My instincts tell me to wear a suit because "when in doubt go all out". But now I'm thinking (not that I consider a vol dept to be less professional than a career one) because it is apparent I am interviewing for a volunteer position I don't want to be considered "too much" or just get a weird look. Any advice?

Forum Member

A suit might be a bit much, try a pair of khaki pants and a nice button up shirt.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK63 View Post
    A suit might be a bit much, try a pair of khaki pants and a nice button up shirt.
    As long as you wear something nice you should be fine. When I interview our volunteer applicants I am always impressed when they wear a suit. It is not necessary, but shows that extra effort.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering what to wear to an interview.
    In general you want to be as well dressed as your interviewers. If they're in a formal department uniform then you should be in shirt/tie, maybe coat. If they're in jeans and a T-shirt then maybe don't go so formal (though I wouldn't go quite that informal). Unfortunately you won't know until you get there.

I like the suit idea, though it might be overkill depending on the department. khaki's, a button up shirt/tie and sport coat are a slightly less formal option. Also allow you to scale back if needed. If you get to the station and it appears you're overdressed you can always loose the coat and/or tie and still look presentable.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice shirt, khakis is usually enough.
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

Default Attire

I'd wear a suit, regardless of what everyone else wears. It shows that you want the job and it shows the department you want a job. I would recommend a red tie and black suit personally. A person that goes into an oral board with slacks, sandals, and a cell phone shows disrespect. Put it this way...put yourself in the interviewees shoes. The first impression or 30 seconds of an oral board is the most important part of the oral board. Shake hands and at the end, make sure you say thanks for their time!

Forum Member

This should suffice - maybe take a briefcase to add that final touch.

Forum Member

Suit all the way! Don't be the only one there without the suit. You ARE there to impress your interviewers so make a statement with your attire and then punctuate it with your dazzling interview skills! Don't mess around...suit.

Navy suit, pressed white shirt, red tie, and dangit shine your shoes! Update your resume and bring them too....on nice resume paper, not copy paper.

Good luck to you....and remember to smile! : )

Forum Member

I've worn a suit to the two fire department interviews I have had. Both times I got hired.... I'd like to think that they considered my qualifications and not just my expensive suit and extremely good looks but who knows?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Khakis and button shirt. Leave the jeans and "redneck firefighter" shirt home.

MembersZone Subscriber

What they said.

Whatever you wear, be presentable - don't look like you hurried over after doing a lube-oil-filter on your car. I also hate the I-just-bought-this-suit-for-the-interview look.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information