Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Horry County Fire Rescue, South Carolina

Has anyone applied, worked, or even volunteered for Horry County Fire Rescue in South Carolina?

I am making a move to the Myrtle Beach area and I am pursuing my fire career and just wanted to see if anyone has any information.

Thanks,

Patrick

North Myrtle is hiring currently... there's a thread in here with info about NMBFD

Forum Member

Where are you moving from....?

Forum Member

I am moving from Denver, Colorado.

Forum Member

Pay and benefits are going to be a ton better there. Only good thing about here is the weather. The pay, benefits, and most depts suck.

Forum Member

I am just hoping to get an entry level position somewhere and talking with a number of people from different departments down there including Horry they say it is a lot less competitive and they seem to be hiring a lot more often due to turnover.

My parents live in Myrtle Beach so we would be moving closer to them. Also you have to consider cost of living as well. I came from California and housing and taxes are so ridiculous that even if I did get an entry level position it would be near impossible to own a home there.

Myrtle Beach in perspective is a lot more affordable. Even Colorado (Denver Metro) is expensive too.

Do you live in the area?

Patrick

Forum Member

Yes I do and work full time for a local dept. private message me and i'll let you know more

What is your level of medical certification? EMT is required, paramedic is great. You can test without EMT but you will stand a very very slim chance of being hired.

Definitely keep an eye on the employment page of Horry County's website: http://www.horrycounty.org/employment/jobs.aspx Firefighter positions are usually only posted for one to two weeks.

We are a good-sized department with over 320 career and around 200 volunteers. We provide fire service for unincorporated areas of the county and primary EMS to the entire county with Myrtle Beach Fire providing two medic units and MIGC Fire providing another two.

New hires WILL spend time on an ambulance. If you are in a station with fire apparatus you may have an opportunity to rotate onto the engine. So if you don't care for EMS, then you need not apply.

We have to hire soon to maintain staffing for SAFER grant levels so check the link above often. If you move to the area prior to getting hired, volunteering is definitely a way to get your foot in the door. Every once in a while a hiring process is opened up only to our volunteers.

Keep your options open and test at multiple departments. Out of the local departments, I would definitely shoot for getting hired at either Horry County or Myrtle Beach.

Good luck.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Thanks for the response! I will keep checking the website for when the job opportunity is posted. I am an EMT-B but am planning on applying to volunteer with Horry County as soon as we move into town.

I am planning on eventually attending paramedic school and will plan on doing that even if I am hired in as an EMT-B.

I am looking into Horry Georgetown's program and it looks really good.

I will keep you updated on my status with everything!

Patrick

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pdellison2 View Post
    Thanks for the response! I will keep checking the website for when the job opportunity is posted. I am an EMT-B but am planning on applying to volunteer with Horry County as soon as we move into town.

I am planning on eventually attending paramedic school and will plan on doing that even if I am hired in as an EMT-B.

I am looking into Horry Georgetown's program and it looks really good.

I will keep you updated on my status with everything!

Patrick
    I know this much....the Brothers have been catching a ton of fire down there. I still can't believe you guys are sometimes riding two guys on a rig.

How is the morale amongst the troops? I see they brought in a few new Assistant Chiefs, at least one from outside and promoted one of the more aggressive BC's. Hope things go well for you guys...

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    I know this much....the Brothers have been catching a ton of fire down there. I still can't believe you guys are sometimes riding two guys on a rig.

How is the morale amongst the troops? I see they brought in a few new Assistant Chiefs, at least one from outside and promoted one of the more aggressive BC's. Hope things go well for you guys...
    Yep, caught a few fires the last couple of shifts. The brush fires have been crazy lately too with some going over a hundred acres and burning for a long time with such dry weather hanging around.

Morale is ok. We haven't gotten steps or COL's since the economy tanked. OT has been slashed which has affected guys who depended on the extra income. It also minimized our staffing. Things have been busy lately. Last shift I logged 18 runs in the book between the engine and medic including a two alarm fire.

That BC informed me last shift that he is getting promoted and that I may be spending some time acting in his vacant position. I feel fortunate for the opportunity. He is very motivated and it will be good for the department that he is gaining rank. I will miss him being my boss because he has been very good to me. But, he will be the AC over the 2nd Battalion so I will still have him in my chain-of-command. I haven't heard about the other guy we are bringing in. Hopefully he will do fine.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Thread Information