Forum Member

Default national registry?

Is the national registry test/status worth it in the scheme of things? as far as hiring or looking better then someone who doesn't have it?

Forum Member

It really depends on the state. Some states don't recognize it at all, some recognize it just enough to allow it for reciprocity to get that state's certification, and some states require it to even get a job. It never hurts to have, but how much it helps/doesn't help at all varies from state to state.

Forum Member

As a NR EMT, I would HIGHLY recommend to get your national registry. For one, it can't hurt you. It betters your chance of not having to repeat hours and hours and a class. IMO, it also looks better on paper as most generally, the NR exam is harder than the State. There are EMS agencies here that pay more if you have your NR over your State.

But it all depends on the scheme of things... if you don't ever plan to move, then it may not be worth it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman26 View Post
    It really depends on the state. Some states don't recognize it at all, some recognize it just enough to allow it for reciprocity to get that state's certification, and some states require it to even get a job. It never hurts to have, but how much it helps/doesn't help at all varies from state to state.
    Well said.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    As a NR EMT, I would HIGHLY recommend to get your national registry. For one, it can't hurt you. It betters your chance of not having to repeat hours and hours and a class. IMO, it also looks better on paper as most generally, the NR exam is harder than the State. There are EMS agencies here that pay more if you have your NR over your State.

But it all depends on the scheme of things... if you don't ever plan to move, then it may not be worth it.

I'm really doing it to make myself more competitive in the career FF market since it seems that most depts are running BLS along with fire..also, as a back up plan I'd want to make as much money as possible, that and I don't know where I'm going to end up in a year or 2.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I hope your holiday went well

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    I'm really doing it to make myself more competitive in the career FF market since it seems that most depts are running BLS along with fire..also, as a back up plan I'd want to make as much money as possible, that and I don't know where I'm going to end up in a year or 2.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate it. I hope your holiday went well
    If by "I don't know where I'm going to end up in a year or 2" you mean you're looking into/open to traveling to a different state to work then I definitely would go the National Registry route just to cover your bases, and like it's been said, it's not going to hurt you anywhere.

Forum Member

I was like 50/50 on it but it's only 70 dollars or so for the test and I figure if its something to put on a resume along with everything else I'm doing..its worth it...plus, we get reembursed for EMT by our FD so I'll do a quick turn around and take the NR test..

Thread Information