Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Question What Makes It Your Dream Department?

I've seen a lot of discussion regarding where everyone's dream department is, but what are the important things you consider that makes this particular department so?

After getting far into my first hiring process I'm starting to consider things that I wouldn't have thought twice about a year ago. We all have our values and motivators: family, salary, advancement, etc. So what is your dream department and what makes it right for you?

My dream department would have full staffing on every company, adequate funding, the best apparatus, equipment and PPE that could money could buy and be free of interference from the politicians.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    My dream department would have full staffing on every company, adequate funding, the best apparatus, equipment and PPE that could money could buy and be free of interference from the politicians.

Amen brother! especially the part about politicians........
    Fire scenes: A well organized cluster F......
    These are my veiws and opinions.....Im just saying

Couldn't have said it better.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Frequent fires, adequate tools, a good number of motivated and knowledgeable men, and copious amounts of water.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

We all have our dreams.
    Stephen J Bourassa
    Latham FD (NY)
    member since 1969
    challenge competitor since 1993

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.........

Career Department?? I dunno.... Never thought about it. Volunteer Department?? Easy. Mine already exists. Mine has Slim Funding, Few Runs, a Small Station, and Hand-me-down Apparatus....... And I've never been there. But, by ALL accounts, They have a Terrific Attitude. "Whatever it takes" isn't their motto, (as far as I know) but it should be. A small, Rural, VFD with a Spirit that just won't quit. Despite where I am, and what we have accomplished here, it's not about Money, Shiny Apparatus, Parade Trophies, the size of your Membership Roster, your Population Served, or anything like that. It's all about People. People of very modest means, living out in the Country, where neighbors help each other without waiting to be asked, or without any thought of possible compensation. My "Dream Department" is the Silver City, Oklahoma VFD. If I were to ever relocate, that's the kind of outfit that I'd like to be a part of.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

TRADITION. I wanted a department that was steeped in tradition. We get a lot of work and still fight the fires the same way that we did in 1990.....very aggressively. We pride ourselves in adapting and overcoming and being able to get the job done under extreme circumstances.

Forum Member

Prince Georges county, Maryland...any station. Pride in themselves, pride in their equipment, pride in how they conduct themselves..ALOT of action..and that whole live-in thing blows my mind...other then that...FDNY because a good pizza or a awesome loaf of bread is only a block away

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

To me, career or volunteer, the answer is the same. Dedicated, hard working, innovative, problem solving people, make for my dream department.

I have been on a couple of departments where the people did there absolute best to destroy the department from within with petty nonsense and back stabbing. Funny thing is, one was career and one was paid on call. People are the same whether they are career or POC or volunteer.
    ďThe person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.Ē Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Forum Member

a department not run by d**chebags

Forum Member

Where can I apply Gonz? I'm willing to relocate but it needs to be warm, my blood has thinned from living in Florida, if its below 50 I am freezing

Forum Member

Any department where that guy with the Hawaiian shirt is the Chief >>>>>>>>>>>>>^
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-04-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

@FireFuss- Our department protects a poor urban city and is not funded well. Thus, we have old equipment and none of the frills such as thermal imagers or CAFS. What I meant is that we have the same technology that we did in 1990. Also, I've read on here long enough to see that the question of "Should you search a vacant structure and go interior" always brings up controversy. Well, we go interior on all structures and search all structures, unless of course fire conditions don't allow interior conditions initially. In that case, we darken it down from the outside, then enter for an interior attack. A lot of departments still do it this way, but there's also a lot of departments that don't. That's what I was getting at.

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Any department where that guy with the Hawaiian shirt is the Chief >>>>>>>>>>>>>^
    This Guy?

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

This Guy?

I guess I should have been more specific ....

That guy from Phoenix that everyone loves to hate.

I guess I should have been more specific ....

That guy from Phoenix that everyone loves to hate.
    Really?
    Funny, Phoenix does interior fire attack.
    Phoenix Firefighters are FF1-2 certified.

I do not agree with everything Brunacini advocates (such as helping Mrs. Smith move furniture because there is nobody else around, or commanding a fire from a block away in an air conditioned CP while the troops are out in 100 degree+ temps in full gear, wearing the Hawaiian shirt as part of a uniform ), but he does have some good points.

I actually attended a seminar that he gave about rapid intervention training where he specifically reference the Brett Tarver Southwest Supermarket Fire LODD and the changes brought about by it.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Really?
    Funny, Phoenix does interior fire attack.
    Phoenix Firefighters are FF1-2 certified.

I do not agree with everything Brunacini advocates (such as helping Mrs. Smith move furniture because there is nobody else around, or commanding a fire from a block away in an air conditioned CP while the troops are out in 100 degree+ temps in full gear, wearing the Hawaiian shirt as part of a uniform ), but he does have some good points.

I actually attended a seminar that he gave about rapid intervention training where he specifically reference the Brett Tarver Southwest Supermarket Fire LODD and the changes brought about by it.
    I would expect that career department would make interior attacks. Difference between them and many small volunteer departments is training, experiences, resources and water.

Again ... career members in an all-career department... FFI & FFII should be the absolute minimum standard.

PFD also has one of, if not the most progressive, public education program in the country, and still spends a larger chunk of the budget on public education that just about anyone else. In addition, they actually hire educators to deliver the bulk of the fire and life safety education, as compared to using primarily firefighters, which allows for a greater degree of effectiveness within their program. As an educator, it would be a very cool place to be.

As far as commanding from the SUV, that has always made perfect sense to me. Trust your sector officers for reports and information. Minimum amount of distractions. Controlled environment.

I remember one train derailment I commanded from the drivers seat of the first -in engine. Sent crews out and they gave me info. It worked out very well. I did the same for a couple of larger brush fires where I was the intiial IC. if you have good sector commanders, there's no need for shifting the IC and the CP to catch a peek.

You would probably have hated the pink polo shirts I had embroidered and used for public education on my last department. My Chief thought it was a little strange, but hey ... I look good in pink.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-04-2011 at 03:30 PM.

I would expect that career department would make interior attacks. Difference between them and many small volunteer departments is training, experiences, resources and water.

Again ... career members in an all-career department... FFI & FFII should be the absolute minimum standard.
    It should be the standard for all... the more they know and learn, the better chance they have, to quote one of your favorite saying...
    "so Everyone Goes Home".

As far as commanding from the SUV, that has always made perfect sense to me. Trust your sector officers for reports and information. Minimum amount of distractions. Controlled environment.

I remember one train derailment I commanded from the drivers seat of the first -in engine. Sent crews out and they gave me info. It worked out very well. I did the same for a couple of brush fires. if you have good sector commanders, there's no need for shifting the IC and the CP to catch a peek.
    When I saw your command from the SUV comment...I figured you to be a "car breather" afraid of both smoke and fire... YOU should have been with your crew! a good IC can tune out the distractions and tune in to his personnel... and the troops respect someone who is there in the thick of things with them a hell of a lot more than a "carseat commander".

You would probably have hated the pink polo shirts I had embroidered and used for public education on my last department.
    Which is probably why you're not there anymore....
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 07-04-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

It should be the standard for all... the more they know and learn, the better chance they have, to quote one of your favorite saying...
    "so Everyone Goes Home".

In a perfect world, I agree 100% that all departments should be well trained. Totally agree.

However, this isn't a perfect world. There are volunteers that have the time and volunteers that simply don't, no matter how much we want them to, and never will. There are fire departments that have the funding to send members to become instructors, and there are departments that never will. There are departments that are located in states with great, well funded training systems and there are departments that are located in states with crappy, underfunded training systems.

And yes, there are volunteer departments and Chiefs that care enough about training to do whatever they have to do to make it happen, and there are departments and Chiefs that really don't give a crap and make little or no extra effort.

Again .. Perfect world, we agree that departments should be well trained.

Real world .... It's a very different story, and making minimum standards is going to do nothing but make thousands of VFDs more understaffed, and probably less safe, than they are now.

When I saw your command from the SUV comment...I figured you to be a "car breather" afraid of both smoke and fire... YOU should have been with your crew! a good IC can tune out the distractions and tune in to his personnel... and the troops respect someone who is there in the thick of things with them a hell of a lot more than a "carseat commander".

So if I'm walking down the tracks with my crew, how can the 2 MA departments I had coming in, LE, EMS and a couple of other agencies make face-to-face with me.

Given the situation, and the fact that I had 4 radio frequencies to monitor and talk on, being in the cab with all my radios at a defined point of contact made the incident flow much smoother. It was the same with the brush fires as they covered several acres on arrival and required a "big picture" approach.

I guess I'm not an "IC with the troops" kind of guy. To me, that's why we delegate to sector commanders and functional officer/team leaders. It's the IC's job to manage the incident, and for me, that's well away from the incident.

Which is probably why you're not there anymore....
    No, I decided to relocate after my divorce. Nice shot though.

Thread Information