Forum Member

Default Auto Tank Fill System Plumbing

Is anybody familiar with how an Auto Tank Fill System is plumbed into the water tank? Are most piped so the water enters the tank up top in the fill tower or is it ok for the water to enter in a lower spot on the tank?

Forum Member

I would imagine it would depend on the builder and how it was spec'd.

I've seen the piping going to the bottom of the fill tower with a 45* elbow pointing down, as well as directly to the high side on the side of the tank.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

I will have to verify but if memory serves me it is at the bottom of the tank with our truck. Make sure you really talk with the engineers for your truck so you get the most use out of it. I had proposed a much greater use for our auto-tank fill system to be told not possible by the engineering department only to find out in the end my idea was possible.

Forum Member

Frequently they use a dedicated inlet that goes directly to the tank, with an electrically operated valve that is controlled by sensors. Or, they can be plumbed to a tee so that the water enters using the normal tank fill port.

Ours is a bit different and was pretty unique when it was new, but is becoming quite commonplace now. It uses the steamer inlet. Ahead of the Master Inlet Valve that it is equipped with is an inlet relief valve. An electrically operated valve is teed to the relief valve port and is plumbed so that after the valve it goes to a tee as described above. The water enters the tank through the tank fill port.

The tank gauge provides the sensing for controlling the valve. It is set up to open the valve at about 30% and close at 80%. There is a manual override switch that allows us to fill the tank completely if desired.

The reason we asked for this arrangement is this: One of the features on this engine is a CAFS system. We new going in that due to our very high hydrant pressures we would have to operate CAFS from tank water only. So we wanted a way to ensure that the tank would not run out and without the pump operator having to continuously, actively monitor it.

In addition, we wanted to be able to switch to big water (feeding directly into the pump) without having to shut down the supply line, disconnect it and reconnect it somewhere else. As it is now set up, under normal conditions, the supply line, no matter what size it is, always comes to the same inlet port, i.e., the left steamer inlet.

This engine is now just over four years old, and we are very satisfied with the arrangement. It meets the objectives that we had in mind and so far has performed flawlessly.

Thread Information