Forum Member

Default Plectron System In Firehouse (I'm new to this)

Now my Volly house had a plectron system in place at one point, to enable the ringing of a bell inside the house when a call is dispatched. Now from what I understand, all it was, was a pager mount that took in the audio, and when the pager went off, the bell went off. Now the bell is still there, but nothing else is. I'm working on getting it back up online. Does anyone have any idea where I should start? Do I need a whole new system? If so how much is a system with audio as well? Any and all information would be great! Thanks guys!

Forum Member

They sell systems like that on Ebay. Cheap too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Light-relay-box-...item415b5cdc73

You could plug in a bell or flashing light to the above unit and have the same thing. You said you have a bell in the station now? Wire it to the above device and your done.

Forum Member

All you need is a pager and a charger with the accessory port. You can build that $50 ebay kit for about $10 with parts from radio shack.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    All you need is a pager and a charger with the accessory port. You can build that $50 ebay kit for about $10 with parts from radio shack.
    Do you have a link with detail on how to do it? Otherwise the ready made model might be a better choice. The people who work at Radio Shack these days know nothing about electronics anymore and instead just want to sell you a cell phone.

MembersZone Subscriber

Moto still sells an alert monitor, which is what's in our firehouse for tripping the siren. The county paid for that.

Perhaps a cheaper option would be one from VeeTronics. We've got one at the EMS squad and it's connected for audio throughout the building. They also offer relay connections for bells, buzzers, lights, whatever you want to set off, and IIRC, they can handle most paging formats.

At or about $315, the price is comparable to a Moto pager, and it's built for the purpose - no modification or jury-rigging necessary.

If you're trying to trip a low-amp device (bell, buzzer), you can probably do it with the internal contacts in the VeeTronix box. If you want to do something with more draw, you'll have to set up a secondary relay that will handle the load.

If you want to get fancy and do other stuff, it's mostly in how you hook things up.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in VeeTronics. I just know they're out there.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Take a look at this site:

http://www.rayvaughan.com/recall.htm

Ray is an old hand at a lot of things radio; my own quick look at his site tells me he's got a lot of good things in his design.

Forum Member

at our joint station, we use one to set off the siren.

Thread Information