Forum Member

Default Andriod Friction Loss App Suggestions Needed

I wrote a simple friction loss app for andriod phones that can be found on the andriod market for free @ https://market.android.com/details?i...ood_Pre_Update

The app only does friction loss and can be used to reference GPM from typical smooth bore nozzles quickly.

Please let me know of any problems using it or suggest any improvments.

Thanks,

Emmett

Forum Member

Exclamation

On the fire ground you should know how to figure pump pressure, friction loss and flow in your head and not having to dig out a cell phone and play around with it. Too many members may get hurt while you are fiddling around.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Let's talk fire trucks!

Captain,

These apps aren't necessarily designed for foreground use (although they certainly could be used in a pinch on the fireground). I've had students use them in the classroom environment with success, especially those students who have a little more difficulty grasping the equations. It's a tool to help them bring all of the numbers together.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    On the fire ground you should know how to figure pump pressure, friction loss and flow in your head and not having to dig out a cell phone and play around with it. Too many members may get hurt while you are fiddling around.

I agree and wouldn't let one of my guys work that way. I specifically left out features so it wouldn't be easy enough to use on the fire ground.

I do think it could be used when sitting around the kitchen table discussing pump pressures or for training to double check answers.

Thanks for your input.

Emmett

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Captain,

These apps aren't necessarily designed for foreground use (although they certainly could be used in a pinch on the fireground). I've had students use them in the classroom environment with success, especially those students who have a little more difficulty grasping the equations. It's a tool to help them bring all of the numbers together.

Thanks for the reply.

Emmett

Administrator

Hello!

I've moved this post into the Technology & Emergency Services category as it seems to fit there better.

Please note we do not allow direct advertisement (even for free products) on the forums. However as you are looking for feedback, it should be fine. Congratulations on building an Android application!

If you do decide to make your app a paid product, you will need to remove this thread.

Thanks!

Josh

Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up and understanding. I don't plan on selling this app so I hope that isn't an issue.

Emmett

MembersZone Subscriber

Any chance you could pull one off for combi nozzles?

An app for 100psi, 75 psi, and those straggler 50s would be helpful...
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireeaterbob View Post
    Any chance you could pull one off for combi nozzles?

An app for 100psi, 75 psi, and those straggler 50s would be helpful...
    I have been thinking about either updating this one to do total PDP or make a whole new app that will do that and more.

Keep an eye out for either an update or a totally new APP produced by me Rashnet Productions.

My only issue is a personal one and that is I don't want to make it easy for people to use on the fire ground or to make it easy for someone who doesn't understand Hydraulics to be able to "cheat" their way into being a pump operator. A big part of my job is making sure people are trained to be drivers and I never cut anyone loose until they can pump whatever is thrown at them without using calculators or other aids. Plus we run a 3 man engine crew and our drivers have many more responsibilities than just pumping, we are hardly ever standing at the pump panel. And I don't want to distract people from the other jobs that they need to do. But on the other hand it is nice to have something to double check yourself. So I will think about it and let you guys know.

I do have a few ideas for an officer app specific to my dept with some often referenced SOPS, Disposition codes and a hazmat guide built in. We also run based on the NOVA manuals and I thought about putting each piece's positioning and responsibilities in it.

Thanks for the Question, I hope I gave an answer that is clearer than mud!

Emmett

Forum Member

I must give you a good luck on finishing the app to include more and more options. And a huge pat on the back for the way you do things. I planned on doing some type of Department-Specific app for the iPhone/iPad that does a few things your officer app that was mentioned does. I personally run a truck company and nothing else, and almost have no chance at ever running a pump panel in my position, therefore a calculator such as yours would be useless for me. (Not meaning to sound arrogant). But Good luck with your app!

Maybe include basic pumping tips and stuff with your app also. Just to give it a more full-feel.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    I must give you a good luck on finishing the app to include more and more options. And a huge pat on the back for the way you do things. I planned on doing some type of Department-Specific app for the iPhone/iPad that does a few things your officer app that was mentioned does. I personally run a truck company and nothing else, and almost have no chance at ever running a pump panel in my position, therefore a calculator such as yours would be useless for me. (Not meaning to sound arrogant). But Good luck with your app!

Maybe include basic pumping tips and stuff with your app also. Just to give it a more full-feel.

Sounds like some good ideas that I will implement in the next version. I was going to do a truck app also and actually started on it then became side tracked with some other work related stuff. The truck app would have been to tell the height of the tip from the ground based on the angle and the amount of extension. I used to drive first pull tower / engine so it would have been useful for me.

Thanks for the comments!

Emmett

Forum Member

I appreciate your work on this app. It would come in handy when you haven't done the calcs in a while and your trying to keep up during the white board drills. Just a couple ideas off the top of my head:

Nozzle pressure selection. Have selections of 50, 75, 80, 100. In the app formula add it to your friction loss to get engine pressure. You will end up with two calculations in the results; FL and EP.

Relay pumping calculations

GPM discharge table for smooth bore tips (annual pump testing)

Possibly a timer for annual pump testing. Might require you to keep the phone from sleeping.
    Fire and EMS Shift Calendars and Day Planners
    www.bwprintworks.com

Forum Member

Post Nice refresher

I actually found this app while doing a search on the Andriod Market web site before I found this forum thread.
    This app is a nice refresher for some of the calculations that pump operators need to do and need to know prior to an incident. Nice work.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Forum Member

Thanks!

I am slowly working on a new version that incudes some new stuff people have been asking for such as like volumes and a few more pump theory items. Keep an eye out for it in the next few months.

Emmett

Forum Member

Post Suggestions

As I am now taking my refresher for Apparatus Operator-Pump, I am using your app. I would suggest adding the following:
    1. go to 50 foot hose length increments below 500 feet.
    2. add longer hose lengths in 100 foot increments up to 1500 feet.
    3. add smaller hose sizes, 1.5"; 1"; 0.75".
    4. add lower GPM down to 40 GPM
    The reason for the longer hose lay is because several departments in my area carry 1500 feet of 5".
    The reason for the smaller hoses and lower GPMs is that my department has a brush truck with forestry hose.
    I look forward to seeing your update.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

Thread Information