Forum Member

Order yourself a can of Leather Luster and follow its instructions. After that, all you'll need to do after the finish is applied is wipe the dirt off with a ArmorAll wipe or some Windex and a rag. If the finish starts cracking or getting worn-looking, scuff the finish up with 0000 steel wool occasionally and apply a fresh coat.

The shine will last for months. I use it on the tips of my station boots. For the rest of the boot I use regular Kiwi and regular polishing methods every few days.

Forum Member

I cant even get My Fiance to order pizza half the time.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Ok tried my best, even used real spit. But one boot, and not the other, has little scaly spots now up by the wrinkes and across one side. No idea what I did to them. I tried more wax, less spit. Then tried the other. Can't get the scales off! My husband doesn't know either, and says they look fine. He's probably just being nice. So he'll take them as is tomorrow, but does anyone know what I did?? Using just a clean white rag and kiwi wax. The other boot and the toe cap of this boot look great.

Forum Member

Seek professional help!!!!!!

Take them to a shoe store, or somewhere they polish shoes, and get a second pair.

will he be wearing these on the job once he gets out of the academey??

use panty hose to shine the shoes

not sure about the scale problem
    Last edited by fire49; 07-11-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Forum Member

Use nothing but Kiwi shoe polish and some tap water. Put a small amount of polish on a old tee shirt, twisted around you first two fingers, index and middle finger, and apply it to the boot. Then apply dab the tee shirt which you are using with the polish on it in the tap water and do circles on the boot.

I have "spit shined" many pair of boots from when I was in the Army to and through my time in the fire department. Once you learn how it comes naturally along the way.

I go smart, once the shoes that stay shinny came out, I started buying them, two pair a year and one pair of boots.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

As others have said have already noted spit shine them. Just use kiwi polish and tap water. blah, blah, blah.

Dont use armor all, spray wood polish, they dry the leather out.

Also buffing the toes with an old panty hose works wonders. Pull it tight and buff back and forth across the toes. That is what i used to do during the academy.

Now is another story they are called work boots for a reason! haha polish and a brush before line up.

Forum Member

Default Getting good shine on boots

Hello Everyone,
    its interesting....
    Getting good shine on boots

Forum Member

I normally take a small soft brush and rub it in the polish (Kiwi, that is) and apply it evenly throughout the entire shoe. Then, I leave it for several minutes and brush it off with a horsehair brush. It's not really shiny...it just touches up some spots. To get a real shine, I find that wrapping a handkerchief around a finger works well. Dip your finger in some polish and apply it to a small, small section of the boot. Rub it in small circles and spray the handkerchief with some water occasionally. It takes some patience, though. That's why I wouldn't be a good doctor---I wouldn't have a lot of patience.

While there is edge dressing out there...I don't have it. I find that using liquid shoe polish on the edges/heel usually works okay.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Forum Member

I didnt think it was possible but if you cant see yourself winking in your shoes, its not shiny enough.

Use as many thin coats as neccessary to cover the imperfections and buff, buff, buff. It doesnt take nearly as much water or "spit" as you think. It does, however, take much more patience than you would think. My first tiime was on a new pair of shoes. 90 minutes per shoe before I could see myself winking. So glad I've gotten faster

Forum Member

NewFireWife

so what is the latest on shinegate??? Was it just the first week or two that they were hot and heavy on shined shoes??????????

Thread Information