Forum Member

Unhappy Federal Q2B Siren problems on KME Apparatus

On my dept's 2006 KME Predator engine the Q2B does not coast. We have these sirens on several other apparatus, including 2 new Spartans and have had no other problems. Also, I listened to a few other KME units from neighboring depts. responding to calls and it sounds like theirs don't coast either. Has anyone else had this problem on a KME truck?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by engine969 View Post
    On my dept's 2006 KME Predator engine the Q2B does not coast. We have these sirens on several other apparatus, including 2 new Spartans and have had no other problems. Also, I listened to a few other KME units from neighboring depts. responding to calls and it sounds like theirs don't coast either. Has anyone else had this problem on a KME truck?
    If it doesn't coast it is more than likely a bearing issue within the siren rather than a problem with a certain apparatus builder.

A few years back Federal Signal in their infinite wisdom (stupidity) decided to replace the worm gear clutch in the Q with a one-way bearing assembly. I believe this was more than likely a cost saving move. Either way, we have had issues with the one-way bearings freezing up and in-effect the siren would lose its coasting ability.

If you can find an old Q with the worm gear clutch and a good set of loose bearings the darn thing would coast forever. Now, even with a properly working one-way bearing the thing coasts down so fast that there is never a need for the siren brake.

Unfortunately, Federal screwed up a good thing.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

The newer motor driven Federal Q's are not like we had back in the 1950's - 1970's. The gears are different.

Therefore there isn't the coasting like they wear of yesteryear. We had on, in particular, on a 1960 Mack tractor pulling a Pirsch aerial that would coast for 15 minutes or so once you let off the floor button.

I've seen it still putting off a low growl 15 or more minutes after arrival on the scene.

You want the siren to coast, then find an old model.

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-09-2011 at 12:28 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Could it be that KME wires the siren brake to activate when the siren activation switch is released?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Could it be that KME wires the siren brake to activate when the siren activation switch is released?
    That was what i was thinking. I would say it's either that or a defective siren.

Forum Member

we got an 09 KME and ours does coast ..........not sure for how long ans we use the siren brake as needed.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Default Interesting

Right, I also wondered if the manufacturer might have wired to siren-brake to activate when the siren button is released. But what reason would they have for doing that?

Forum Member

I doubt the truck builder would do such a thing. ( but let's not give them any dumb ideas). But even so - it would be an easy fix.

For what it's worth, I got 2 Predators ('05 & '09). Both have Q's that work just fine.

Forum Member

As stated by others,the newer generationas Q's have a MUCH shorter coast than the early version.AND need more periodic lubrication.The Town mechanics take of that for us,so I'm not going to be much help on how its done. IIRC they also substituted a couple bushings for bearings which also makes them wind down quicker. Maybe someone else here like Firemech can help. T.C.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

You might be right MEAN15, but don't give KME too much credit. They are not the best truck builder, and if our experience with their engine means anything, I would put nothing past them as far as poorly thought out design and assembly.
    Last edited by engine969; 07-13-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Forum Member

Here's the biggest issue with the older "B" and "C" models compared to the newer "D" model Q's. The older models had a screw clutch in them, where as the newer "D" model uses a bearing. The older ones could be turned easily in both directions with a pocket screwdriver. With the newer model, it spins easily counter-clockwise, and hardly any clockwise. I can't say that it has a directional bearing in it or not. I haven't had to replace one yet. Another difference is the lock nut. On the older versions, you just cranked it down. On the newer version, you tighten it up to roughly 30-35 lbs/ft. Any tighter than that, it may not wind up so fast. I think this has to do with the coasting issue. Even if it is tighter than the 30-35 lbs/ft, it will wind up without much issue. But it will also coast down alot faster from the older models.

As for maintenance, there isn't any. There is nothing to lube, or be lubed.

Just for giggles, I'll order a new clutch kit for the "D" model, just to see if it does in fact have a directional bearing in it or not. Unless someone has already replaced one, speak up.

FM1

EDIT: I haven't found or seen anything for lubing the siren. If someone has something, post up a link, or pic of instructions.
    Last edited by FIREMECH1; 07-14-2011 at 04:10 AM. Reason: lube issue
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Our '94 Pierce has a Q that will keep spinning for easily 20 minutes after letting off of it... Our '06 Spartan takes about 45 seconds to come to a dead stop. Disappointing and not quite the same sound.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by engine969 View Post
    You might be right MEAN15, but don't give KME too much credit. They are not the best truck builder, and if our experience with their engine means anything, I would put nothing past them as far as poorly thought out design and assembly.
    For what its worth, I have two KME's and love them. Good engines, and what little support I needed has been there.

I would buy another today if we had the budget
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LVFD301; 07-19-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Forum Member

Got very few complaints with my KME engine and tower. Happy with both of them. I'd be willing to bet the next one will be KME also.

Forum Member

Check to see if the siren brake soleniod is seized (burnt) in the activated position. Ive had to replace a couple of defective ones.

Thread Information