Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber Firedawg42's Avatar

Default Should I stay or should I go now???

I know the decision ultimately has to be weighed and made by me but I need some brotherly input. I spent 4 years as a FF in the military, got out and Iíve been at this dept for over 4 years. The manning is minimum (2 per engine, 1 per truck), the equipment is fair, and the pay is just below 30k (no increase in years) but thatís better than some places. I care about a lot of my brothers here but you also have to really watch your back for tons of mutts in the dept. We have a high turnover rate and the new recruits they are hiring (mostly on the EMS side) donít want to fight fire or they are rabbits and arenít properly trained. If you try to train them you get reprimanded and called a hardass or said that you are hazing. I try to be the change I want to see in the department but I am often held back. Morale is very low. These are just a few of the problems.

Should I stick it out here or should I try to get hired on at one of the departments near Indy where my family lives. I have kids and it would be good to be near my supportive extended family. The only problem is that it is very competitive to get hired on around there. You pay a fortune to fly back and forth for processes so I may have to get up there and apply for a couple of years. I would most likely have to get a civilian job while applying and maybe go part time to get my EMT. It would be miserable to not be on the job that I love so much for a bit but Iím looking for that end result. What do you think? What would you do?

I will tell you this...I'm a career ff in northeast Indy and couldn't be happier. Its most definitely tough to get on and can be frustrating. But if you make it on you will be happy. I know this isn't really an answer to your question but thought I would try to help you out. The pay around here is better than most, there is plenty of fire and the brotherhood is strong. If you have any question feel free to pm and I'll answer anything that I can. Good luck bro.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

Use your current department for what it sounds it is good for........a stepping stone to get somewhere better.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

I'm in the same boat. Except i'm managed by volunteers. I know my time is coming. I'm trying to get on in Chattanooga TN. I'll keep applying until they hire me. it's a 12 hr trip back & forth from here in Delaware. Like MemphisE34a says....use it as a stepping stone like I'm doing. Do I love it here...no. But I'll make the best of a situation & it's just something I can put on my resume. Good luck to you bro
    "Courage is the resistance to fear, the mastery of fear, not the lack of fear." Mark Twain
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." Uknown

Forum Member

Sounds like time to look maybe not in Indy maybe other cities

You should always try to improve yourself

You do or do not have your emt?????

MembersZone Subscriber Firedawg42's Avatar

Thank you guys for the input so far. It helps more than you know.

Fire49- No I don't have my EMT, I have a lot of Fire certs and a couple classes shy of my assoc. in Fire Science.

Forum Member

Maybe try to get emt before moving

Also any fed bases in Indy area? Maybe work for the Feds while you look for a city job

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg42 View Post
    Thank you guys for the input so far. It helps more than you know.

Fire49- No I don't have my EMT, I have a lot of Fire certs and a couple classes shy of my assoc. in Fire Science.

Some departments could care less what certifications you may have. They will say "that is good", but we are going to train you to our and the state's standards and will certify you, if you pass and jump through all the hoops.

Having prior service and certifications will help you going through the recruit class as you would have an edge over those who have never seen inside a fire house or don't know any thing about the fire service.

I've seen guys who said they were certified in this and that, had the paper to show, but when they went through recruit school and when the rubber meets the road, they were as green as the ones who had nothing.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-12-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

If it was me, I'd stay on the job there until I had a better offer. Being employed as a career FF can qualify you for lateral entry positions elsewhere. If you quit, you may lose that option.

It's becoming more common for places to require EMT just to apply, if there's any way for you to get it, get it. Much more useful than a stack of IFSAC certs.

Good luck.

Just about everyplace I know of requires at least EMT Basic, if not more.

I would stick it out for a bit and get EMT, at the same time apply for departments "back home" and see what happens. You should never give up a full time job when you don't have anything else lined up.

Good luck!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

I am not a fire fighter, but i understand leaving something that is secure and somewhat risking it for a better life for all around you.
    In november i;m officially out of the Army, and its a risk, and im trying to get into the Firefighter career field.

You know if you heart what will make you happy, and what will make your life better. It seems you are serious about leaving your current department, i say go for it.

As previously stated, it seems like a good stepping stone!

Thread Information