Forum Member

Default Responding to calls

Just wondering how everyone gets to calls either responding to the station or straight to the scene ..... Mom, dad, car, bike, run?

Forum Member

The explorer post I'm a part of is with a career-only fire department. We're only allowed to respond to calls while at the station.

There have been some incidents, however, in our post where explorers "responded" in their POV to a scene (mostly working fires) because they heard it on their scanners. It's ridiculous and they were shunned (not really).
    "If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Forum Member

Talking

My department is a small volunteer department, each of us Jr's are issued a pager. When we get toned out I can usually get a ride from one of my parents if they are around, or in other cases ride my bike to the station.
    Last edited by Firefighterin2012; 07-12-2011 at 05:14 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bmags84 View Post
    just wondering how everyone gets to calls either responding to the station or straight to the scene ..... Mom, dad, car, bike, run?
    jet pack! :d
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    Naw they cant do that I think it requires some type of avation permit. But

JET BIKE

Should be treated just like a moped and safe and legal for children to operate.

Forum Member

we can respond in the squad when we are at the firehouse but no lights and sirens, at home i either ride my bike if its close enough, or if my mom is not busy she will.

Forum Member

we can only respond if we are already at the firehouse. :/

Forum Member

Our Juniors use their POVs to get to the scene mostly. Most people in our dept frown upon having parents take you to the fire scene. So that's basically it; if you don't have a car and you're not at the station you're SOL. Sometimes it doesn't make sense but when you think about it it kinda does. Besides, I wouldn't want my parents to bring me anyway...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 19echo95 View Post
    Our Juniors use their POVs to get to the scene mostly. Most people in our dept frown upon having parents take you to the fire scene. So that's basically it; if you don't have a car and you're not at the station you're SOL. Sometimes it doesn't make sense but when you think about it it kinda does. Besides, I wouldn't want my parents to bring me anyway...
    I really don't see why getting rides from your parent is frowned upon. In my department most of the Jr.s get rides from their parents, my department needs all the help they can get on calls and they don't care how you get there.

Forum Member

Well, I'm not sure why they don't like it but they just don't. But since you have to be 16 in my dept to go to calls anyway it's not that big of a deal since you can get your license here when you're 16. I have to wait until September to get mine.

Forum Member

I just use my POV. In our department, you have to be 15 to be a junior and go to calls. Juniors are not allowed red lights (I usually just use 4 ways/hazards). I joined when I was 16 and had my license, but some explorers on the other department in town have flashing lights and saddle bags on their bikes. I heard its funny to watch them pull up to a call

Forum Member

NJ you must be 17 to get your drivers license. So im stuck needing rides till the chief approves auxiliaries to move there gear to the station nearest them. I currently have to report to station 1 about a mile uphill and station 2 is about 3 blocks straight across

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nr9306 View Post
    i just use my pov. In our department, you have to be 15 to be a junior and go to calls. juniors are not allowed red lights (i usually just use 4 ways/hazards). i joined when i was 16 and had my license, but some explorers on the other department in town have flashing lights and saddle bags on their bikes. I heard its funny to watch them pull up to a call
    say whhhhhatt?!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    say whhhhhatt?!
    Its common practice in our area if you don't have lights. I've never had anyone move for me, but I heard that people sometimes do

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nr9306 View Post
    Its common practice in our area if you don't have lights. I've never had anyone move for me, but I heard that people sometimes do
    I'm not sure what to say beside wow. If it doesn't move cars then whats the point?
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by backsteprescue123 View Post
    I'm not sure what to say beside wow. If it doesn't move cars then whats the point?
    Totally agree! What is the point?

Forum Member

How about to let people know your driving out of control.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewR View Post
    Totally agree! What is the point?
    Because other people have had some success with it. If it only works once then its worth it

Quote Originally Posted by BULL321 View Post
    I'M BAAAACCCCKKKK BULL! Long time no post, I know, but I've been getting ready for the big leagues (aka college and becoming a real FF, not just a kid pretending to be a FF)

As far as the departments I have been on, my first department (small volly department) explorers were issued a pager and also had pages texted to phones and any explorer II could respond by however means necessary to the station (NEVER directly to scene unless requested by Chief himself, just too dangerous). On my second department, fully-staffed career department, if you weren't at the station when the call went out you were already too late...

Either way I usually got to the station by means of my fellow explorer Asst Chief.
    Explorer Assistant Chief Alisha Fern

Leadership: The ability to guide, direct, and influence others.

Leadership can be thought of as a capacity to define oneself to others in a way that clarifies and expands a vision of the future.

alisha.fern@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

in my dept. we cannot respond on a red (sirens, lights) in any vehicle, and only go to signal 99s (workers). As soon as the working fire tones drop, we report to station 1 and get our gear. We take a POV or a piece responding on a white (no siren, no lights). Most juniors are notifyed via text messaging system. The dept does not issue pagers to juniors. I am the only member with one. I bought it myself. along with the text system and my pager, I have a Radio Shack PRO-106 and Uniden BearCat 201, both of which are mine. It is amazing I own all this stuff and not have a single family member in the fire service.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bmags84 View Post
    Just wondering how everyone gets to calls either responding to the station or straight to the scene ..... Mom, dad, car, bike, run?
    I get rides with my parents. One of the FF's who lives near me will usually bring me home...
    Kyle - FireSquad911

Thread Information