MembersZone Subscriber

Default Police Car extrication

Does anyone have information as to the construction and modifications done to Police cars that would impact/hinder extrication?

We had an incident recently where we had to go in service on a police car. We were unable to cut the cage between the front and back seats. I was wondering if anyone else had seen a similar situation and what they did about it. Also curious if there are other modifications to the structure of the vehicle besides the cage that would cause a problem.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Not sure where the cage is secured - but it may be easier/faster to unbolt it for removal - depends on the damage to the vehicle too.....

As far as other modifications - many State Police cars here have extinguishing systems installed in them too...so you'd have to watch for that. Not sure what is done about attaching the rear seat so it doesn't fold down - or if that is done in the factory......if I get the opportunity I can check with one of hte police repair shops to see what they have done in vehicles.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Police Car Extrication

Thinking about it, I would cut it similar to any other vehicle with the exception that I would do the "B Post/Pillar Blowout". Even if the cage is attached to the B Post the bolts will pull out.

Interesting question though.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

from what ive seen the cage is just bolted to the floor and b pillers. it should easily be cut and removed. the one we removed was constructed of very thin tube steel.
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Does anyone have information as to the construction and modifications done to Police cars that would impact/hinder extrication?

We had an incident recently where we had to go in service on a police car. We were unable to cut the cage between the front and back seats. I was wondering if anyone else had seen a similar situation and what they did about it. Also curious if there are other modifications to the structure of the vehicle besides the cage that would cause a problem.
    Couple questions. WHAT were you trying to cut it with and what were the circumstances? Any I've ever been exposed to were no match for a HRT or a GOOD 'cip saw. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Couple questions. WHAT were you trying to cut it with and what were the circumstances? Any I've ever been exposed to were no match for a HRT or a GOOD 'cip saw. T.C.
    I wasn't on the call so I didn't see it first hand. The guys were attempting a B-post tear/side removal and could not because of the cage. It could not be cut by our Hurst O-cutters which are fairly new (~3 years or so). I heard they were able to displace the cage through repeated use of the Spreaders but it took a lot more time.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

If you could find out and post the brand of the cage Etc, I would be most interested. I have done several Police car crashes and to date haven't found any that present a REAL challenge getting into. If there are some,I'd like to know who is building them. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Generally unbolting the shield will provide the better means of access/disentanglement. The shield itself should be easily cut with standard tools if desired.

Forum Member

Having just retired after 22 years as a police officer, I can tell you that the cage isn't anything that you should have to worry about cutting through. It will either be a full cage that also acts as a "roll bar" bar type frame work or it will be a half cage that really isn't built to do anything but keep the bad guy in one position. As stated, they were simply secured to the "B" pillar and to the floor. You should have zero trouble cutting through the roll cage assembly with a cutter. Make sure you look for weapons mounted to the cage! We mounted either a 12 gauge shotgun or an AR15 to the roll bar just behind the officers head. There are no standard ways for removing the weapons. Some require a key, some have nothing special to release them while still others have a remote button mounted on the dash, the light switch box or some other location hidden so that only the officer knows where it is. Also, on some full cages, the full width plexiglass screen was on a spring loaded quick release and was usually in the down position so that officers could see to the rear without the glare. If you bump or trip the screen, it will fly up an scare the crap out of you but thats all it will do. As far as the fire system, only the Ford Crown Vic police pursuit models had the suppression system. I understand that some of the other Ford products like the Taurus may also have them, but I haven't seen one. And even then, it was a costly system that many departments did not order. It was offered as an option after several Crown Vic squads burned after being crashed in the rear. One other thing that you might find if you tear into a door. Officers use to take their old body armor and put it inside the doors. I never did, but I know a few officers that did this for "extra protection".

Forum Member

Most cages I have seen are based off of thin walled tubing. That being said, I would approach them like a race car roll cage. Often times the Q-cutters will simply fold instead of making the complete cut. In this situation pull out the recip. saw and go to work.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billyleach View Post
    Generally unbolting the shield will provide the better means of access/disentanglement. The shield itself should be easily cut with standard tools if desired.
    Dunno about your world Billy,but around here if we need to "work" a cruiser it's 99.8% unbolting the cage is NOT an option. the LAST one I did was literally as flat as the ones out of the crusher. The officer is on permanent disability and never did return to service. The other three we cut the cage, officer viability was the Priority.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the outlook from the PD side rmcatee1.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

After an F-4 tornado tore through the town to our east last year and scored a direct hit on their police station, we had plenty of donut haulers to tear apart

In all I think we had 6 or 7 Crown Vics, 2 or 3 Tahoes, and an Explorer. The SUVs were pretty straightforward and despite heavy damage were easier to maneuver in due to their larger passenger compartment.

One of the crown vics that I personally got to cut on was picked up and thrown upside down onto a parking lot over half a mile from the PD. We tunneled in and encountered the cage. Some quick work with a sawzall and hydraulic cutters easily removed what we needed.

I'll have to see if I can find some pictures from the training........
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information