Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Anyone ever in the same boat?

Hey everyone, I know I have come around time to time with questions over and over but this is the only place that gives me real experience answers so here is my problem: I just finished my first year of college and made the dean's list both semester and was all set on going into firefighting but then I began to second guess myself. I then began to explore various careers (mechanic, welder, farmer, wind farm worker, railroad, cop, etc.) I've always wanted a blue collar career and somethign that helped people so naturally being a police officer or fire fighter were what seemed the best options. But both of them have downfalls for me; firefighting would be great and mostly everything I could ask for in a job but I despise thugs, criminals, etc. I wouldn't want to let them keep doing whats wrong after my crew was to help them out or save their live (I've been told its just a part of the job before). Therefore, the thought of being a cop comes into my mind. However, there are somethings that would drive me crazy about that career even though I would be getting thugs and criminals off the street. So I end up going back to the railroad worker welder etc. I want a career that means something but I'm not sure what to do anymore. Anyone ever been in a situation similar starting out? Any advice? All help is greatly appreciated because I feel more confused than I have ever been.

Default Job

There is more to being a policeman then "Getting criminals and thugs off the street." I think you need to decide on what you want to do more than what we think we want you to do. Pick a job that your happy with and stick to it. Going back and forth is not good and if you do pick a job that your happy with then you've done most of the work. I had a job for over thirty years and loved every minute of it. Good luck.....
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

oh there definitley is more to it than that, I just wish I could decide fully on one or the other. I feel like I would enjoy both and that I will just need to flip a coin to decide since its taking me so long lol

Forum Member

Do ride alongs with different jobs to get a feel for different jobs

Default flip a coin

How many sides does your coin have??? You need to pare it down to two .....then flip the coin.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Yeah I have it down to two for the most part. I know I want to help people I just have to decide in what way. All those other careers just don't match up to these two. Unfortunately my city doesn't allow ride alongs at all. I was fortunate enough to be granted one ride along with the police department but that isn't going to happen. So I plan on walking down the street to my neighborhood fire station to talk with those guys and then the police officer that lives a couple houses down. Thank you both for your replies! I appreciate all of your help!

Forum Member

I think one thing you'll need to be able to do for either a police or fire career is get past your personal feelings about the person you're dealing with. As a firefighter the person you're dealing with is not a thug, criminal, saint or anything else. They are a patient, a victim, a person who needs the help that you are trained and equipped to provide. You should treat everyone the same. There may be some changes you make based on their behavior toward you but those should be primarily geared toward your own safety, not just what kind of person you're dealing with.

As a police officer if your only goal is going to be getting the thugs and criminals off the streets then do your community a favor and don't become one. Some of the best officers I know don't consider their job to be "Get the thugs off the street, but instead it's something along the lines of "To serve the public trust." Of course that includes arresting criminals when necessary, but it also includes stopping and blocking traffic for a broken down motorist and other community service type duties.

My point is it doesn't matter which path you choose if you spend your time thinking more about how you despise the "Thugs and criminals" than about the ways you can make your community better you may run into trouble in either profession.

Here's another thought. As a police officer you may make an arrest of an individual you consider to be a thug or criminal. You may have what you believe is sufficient evidence against this individual, you turn that evidence over to the prosecutors office only to see the same thug walking down the street 24 hours later because the prosecutor decided that the case wasn't worth the time and cut a deal or just didn't prosecute the case. Can you deal with that happening repeatedly because in today's world that is a reality in many communities.

Forum Member

A person changes jobs a number of times in thier life,

Especially in today's world

Given that The median years a person stays in one job is 4.1 years (2008), an avg person will have to have 7-10 jobs.
    Given that The median years a person stays in one job is 4.1 years (2008), an avg person will have to have 7-10 jobs.
    I'll tell you why, a person works to save money and use the rest on current expenditures. So, they have to work "twice" to cover retirement years. If someone is going to retire for 10-20 years, they have to work 20-40 years, or probably more to account for inflation and the higher cost of living. With that 4.1 median years of employee tenure, the person has to have multiple of jobs. Of course, there will be people who can stay in 3-4 jobs throughout their lifetime. It depends on education, age, and gender.
    ==============
    More information here: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/tenure.nr0.htm

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EGregory View Post
    I think one thing you'll need to be able to do for either a police or fire career is get past your personal feelings about the person you're dealing with. As a firefighter the person you're dealing with is not a thug, criminal, saint or anything else. They are a patient, a victim, a person who needs the help that you are trained and equipped to provide. You should treat everyone the same. There may be some changes you make based on their behavior toward you but those should be primarily geared toward your own safety, not just what kind of person you're dealing with.

As a police officer if your only goal is going to be getting the thugs and criminals off the streets then do your community a favor and don't become one. Some of the best officers I know don't consider their job to be "Get the thugs off the street, but instead it's something along the lines of "To serve the public trust." Of course that includes arresting criminals when necessary, but it also includes stopping and blocking traffic for a broken down motorist and other community service type duties.

My point is it doesn't matter which path you choose if you spend your time thinking more about how you despise the "Thugs and criminals" than about the ways you can make your community better you may run into trouble in either profession.

Here's another thought. As a police officer you may make an arrest of an individual you consider to be a thug or criminal. You may have what you believe is sufficient evidence against this individual, you turn that evidence over to the prosecutors office only to see the same thug walking down the street 24 hours later because the prosecutor decided that the case wasn't worth the time and cut a deal or just didn't prosecute the case. Can you deal with that happening repeatedly because in today's world that is a reality in many communities.

@egregroyThis is a great prospective on both of the jobs! I will definitely take this into account and make it my mindset while deciding this fall. All in all I just want to help people and I think that this mindset will definitely help with that. @fire49 I sure hope I don't have to change that much but I will definitely check out that book! thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Forum Member

As I write this, you may already have completed your second year and your interest may already have changed. What you can do to be sure about what you want is to look into the following: your skills, interests, goal/vision in life and contribution of the job you choose to your being. You have to make sure that there are no compromises. When you start to enter your final year in college, things will be clearer.
    We were born to succeed, not to fail

There is an old saying.

"You know what fire fighters and cops have in common? Both wanted to be firemen."

A litte humor for you. But in all honesty, there isn't enough money in the world to make me drop being a firefighter for being a cop. This is THE best job, hands down. You'll never get rich doing it, but you can make a living. You gain an enitrely new family the day you start on the job. Oh, there is that little thing about helping people too

Thread Information