Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Testing Process and against the odds

Vetern Firefighters,

I took the written exam yesterday and was one of 100 people that attended. The next phase is the CPAT and I am not too sure how many will pass the written. This next academy is looking to hire around 17. I wanted to ask what should somebody in my boots do in this type of situation when they will only pick 17 out of 100?

Quote Originally Posted by joraco8486 View Post
    Vetern Firefighters,

I took the written exam yesterday and was one of 100 people that attended. The next phase is the CPAT and I am not too sure how many will pass the written. This next academy is looking to hire around 17. I wanted to ask what should somebody in my boots do in this type of situation when they will only pick 17 out of 100?

If you didn't get a score of 97 or above and don't have many others scoring higher and also have veterans points, you may have passed the written. Still you may will be ranked as low as 70 out of the 100 or so.

The CPAT is a pass or fail.

If the hire 17, it could mean like it is here, they interview 2 for 1. That is 34 plus ties for the 17 jobs.

Therefore you have to have an almost perfect score to be in competition.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

There isn't much you can "do" at this point, except be ready for the CPAT. Not all 100 will pass the written. They may only invite the top XX number to the physical test. I would say be ready for the physical, and start prepping for your interview.
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

Seems like better odds then alot of other places

Such as 2000 to 10, 200 to 3 etc

Test anywhere and everywhere I believe sometimes it is a matter of luck

Yeah. How's your math?
    A 17% chance from the beginning is pretty good.
    If you keep advancing in the process, those odds get even better for you.

If there is an interview, what you can be doing is practicing for that.

Hang tough.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! It all truly helps! I will hang tough as I should!

Just give it your all pal. Several guys (and gals) throughout these forums, including myself, have tested at places with much slimmer chances. I personally have tested in places where 500+ tested for 9 spots (ended up 10th), 160ish tested for 4 or 5 (end up 3rd, but then a hiring freeze)... but the moral of the story is sometimes the odds are slim but just keep trying if it's really what you want.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    Just give it your all pal. Several guys (and gals) throughout these forums, including myself, have tested at places with much slimmer chances. I personally have tested in places where 500+ tested for 9 spots (ended up 10th), 160ish tested for 4 or 5 (end up 3rd, but then a hiring freeze)... but the moral of the story is sometimes the odds are slim but just keep trying if it's really what you want.
    Well said.

Forum Member

It would sure be nice to test at places that have those kind of odds. Most places it is 300-500+ for a couple of spots.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joraco8486 View Post
    Vetern Firefighters,

I took a written test in a room of 2000 people, yes 2000, Police Officers,Full-time FF's, Military Officers, a few Minnesota Viking players you name it. I did have two interviews, just waiting now for letter on if I made it. Point being don't let large groups scare you, remember you are there to get YOUR job. St.Paul,MN hired 12 in Feb and plan to hire 6 to 16 in Sept.
    Best of luck
    Last edited by medicpaul; 07-27-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Forum Member

joraco8486-

Yup...These are GREAT odds. You have a huge chance here. Its funny, i've noticed that it seems LESS people are testing right now. I really believe its two things:

1. Departments are doing more of the 'One day...First, 700 applicants' type testing processes.
    2. Candidates have watched too much news...and believe NOONE must be hiring right now.

This is a ridiculous advantage to those of you who are testing in earnest!

Think of it this way...As times get more difficult...people tend to do more silly things that end up creating emergencies...The country ends up needing more emergency personnel. This is one thing politicians WILL cut (as we've all seen), but then shortly thereafter they realize that the pressure on them politically is overwhelming when their constituents increasingly feel less safe. They want to be reelected, so they pass motions, amendments, etc. to make new hiring happen. Its nuts, but you can already see it.

Right now, my job service has over 2700 new paid and volunteer openings listed, so no matter what happens in the next phase of testing...KEEP SIGNING UP FOR TESTS UNTIL YOU HAVE THE JOB...(And keep working very hard on your test prep, of course)

You've got a huge advantage to all of the candidates that are asleep at the wheel right now.

Best of Luck AND Preparation,

PaulC
    PaulC
    FF/EMTP
    City of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
    gethiredbyfire.com & The Fire Jobs App

Default Thanks for the feedback

I am attempting a second try with the written this morning. Wish me luck and I will let you all know how I did!

Default Testing??

Wait..first of all you have great odds @ 17% I had 6,000 apply for 50 slots and "YOU" get a second shot at the written. I'm confused....most only get one shot. Why the second chance???
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Dudley,

My city had roughly three academies. They give you the option to retest for the written if you do not pass it the first time! I completed the written for the first academy for 2012. I find out hopefully early next week if I can move along in the process!

Thread Information