Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default County of Maui, Hawaii

Anyone taking the Maui County (Hawaii) test this weekend? Does anyone know much about it - the test itself, how many applied, or how many they're hiring? See you there!

preference for those living in Hawaii before those on the mainland
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

What capt. said and....

I have multiple friends who live/have lived in Hawaii. I hear it's not the same out there. If you're a single guy it's great. If you're trying to support a family on it, you're going to be stretched thin.

Gorgeous place though.
    Good luck.

Default Maui

It's like it use to be back in '68 on the mainland...most Firefighters had a second job. Good luck.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    preference for those living in Hawaii before those on the mainland
    Ouch. Although I haven't found too many people taking it, it does seem there will be a good number of locals applying, so us mainlanders probably don't have a great shot. Oh well - at least it's the experience of another test, I suppose! lol

KTF
    Forum Member

Have you ever lived in Hawaii? What do you know about Hawaii so far? If your a haole from the mainland with no clue about the culture, environment, people, and history your kinda screwed. There oral boards are way laid back though which is nice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii44 View Post
    Have you ever lived in Hawaii? What do you know about Hawaii so far? If your a haole from the mainland with no clue about the culture, environment, people, and history your kinda screwed. There oral boards are way laid back though which is nice.

Are those things on the test? I have spent a lot of time in the islands over the last 15 years and am very comfortable there, would love to work there!

KTF
    Forum Member

The test is a regular civil service test, math reading, mechanical, maps, ect. The oral boards they'll ask you questions seeing what you know about Hawaii. It's a gamble for them to hire someone not living there because people get island fever or just don't like living there anymore. I can't afford the flights there right now so i didn't take it but wish I did. Maui is awesome, but like others said you almost need two jobs there. Just do your research and you'll do fine. Good luck!

Forum Member

What a kick in the pants! 50% of the test was Math and Pulleys! Whooo that was intense.

Forum Member

Coming from Oahu, I thought the Maui test wasn't as bad as I anticipated it being . . . in fact, I believe it was a CPS test . . . which for me, was the first time ever taking one with the audio section included. Anyhow, pass or fail, it was great prep for the HFD test coming up!

KTF
    Forum Member

When is HFD testing?!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Freshairs808 View Post
    Coming from Oahu, I thought the Maui test wasn't as bad as I anticipated it being . . . in fact, I believe it was a CPS test . . . which for me, was the first time ever taking one with the audio section included. Anyhow, pass or fail, it was great prep for the HFD test coming up!
    I just wasn't prepared for so many pulley questions. Darn things Good luck to you! What session were you in? Which location?

And yes, when is HFD?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TakingMauiTest View Post
    I just wasn't prepared for so many pulley questions. Darn things Good luck to you! What session were you in? Which location?

And yes, when is HFD?
    Yes, the mechanical section was a little intense, especially after a tougher math section IMO! I'm just glad that I was able to keep a good pace and have about 5min to spare, which allowed me to go back and look over the entire test. However, for me personally, it was the Audio portion of the test that seemed to be the real kicker . . . the fist half wasn't all that bad, but seemed to get pretty progressive with a lot of information being given towards the end of the tape. I guess it didn't help being up since 3:45 in morning to catch my 5:00am flight lol! Oh yeah, btw, I was schedule for the 8:30am test @ LihiKai Elematary School.

As far as the next HFD test, I've heard a bunch people say it's coming up in February, including a few of the guys that I talked to who were also taking the Maui test. If this is really the case, hopefully we'll be seeing a fire recruit posting on city web site by the end of the year!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Freshairs808 View Post
    Yes, the mechanical section was a little intense, especially after a tougher math section IMO! I'm just glad that I was able to keep a good pace and have about 5min to spare, which allowed me to go back and look over the entire test. However, for me personally, it was the Audio portion of the test that seemed to be the real kicker . . . the fist half wasn't all that bad, but seemed to get pretty progressive with a lot of information being given towards the end of the tape. I guess it didn't help being up since 3:45 in morning to catch my 5:00am flight lol! Oh yeah, btw, I was schedule for the 8:30am test @ LihiKai Elematary School.

As far as the next HFD test, I've heard a bunch people say it's coming up in February, including a few of the guys that I talked to who were also taking the Maui test. If this is really the case, hopefully we'll be seeing a fire recruit posting on city web site by the end of the year!
    Logged into the Maui County Self-Service site today and it looks like results from the test are up. How'd you do? Looks like I passed but it doesn't seem to provide much info other than pass/fail at this point. Hopefully something in the mail soon!!

Forum Member

Anybody from off-island or the mainland taking the tests and want to share a taxi?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by khanvalescent View Post
    Anybody from off-island or the mainland taking the tests and want to share a taxi?
    I'm taking the physical. Renting a car there though instead of taxi's. Don't think it's possible to find a taxi fast enough to get to each place in time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TakingMauiTest View Post
    I'm taking the physical. Renting a car there though instead of taxi's. Don't think it's possible to find a taxi fast enough to get to each place in time.
    Do you know how many they're taking to the PAT?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    Do you know how many they're taking to the PAT?
    No idea to be sure but heard 100

Forum Member

As far as I know that chance is a lot better for singles, but if you are raising your own family then surely you'll be totaly stretched out!

Forum Member

Test wasn't bad at all. Noticed on the county site my status has changed to, "READY TO HIRE." Now it's sit back, wait, and hope I'm high enough on the list they'll call me for an oral board.

Thread Information