Thread: Miami Dade Fire

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    Yet, I bet in a month someone will post a thread saying that MDFR is going to hire soon based on what they heard.
    I can't believe some of y'all on here continue to post threads hoping to get picked up by MDFR.
    City and/or county governments are grappling with plunging property tax revenues and tight budgets should be writing on the wall for all of y'all wanting to work for THAT department.

I am aware of MDFR's candidate hiring list is "thousands" deep with names. If that list expires, you're going to try out to be on another list that's probably going to be longer. Plus with tight budgets, I'll be surprised that they will spend money on testing for a new list for no openings. Doesn't make sense to me.

The Miami-Dade Mayor's recall election should been a huge clue to everyone. I admit that I know very little about this guy, but if he's trying CUT everyone's (county departments) budget to avoid layoffs is quite telling.
    Once again, anyone down there looking for work in a fire department should apply elsewhere like upstate. I bet many of you guys that have your medic licenses along with your fire standards should look elsewhere. Up here in Central Florida we could use you (OCFRD, Osceola County FR. etc.) Yeah, it isn't Miami, but for crying out loud, if you looking for fire job, move!!! Not getting any younger and the economy is going to get any better any time soon! Lots of 25-30 year FFs are retiring up here, and they need to be replaced.
    Miami-Dade was my dream department when I was in fire school. Had to move away to find work to start my career. I don't regret it.
    Good Luck!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dell205 View Post
    I can't believe some of y'all on here continue to post threads hoping to get picked up by MDFR.
    City and/or county governments are grappling with plunging property tax revenues and tight budgets should be writing on the wall for all of y'all wanting to work for THAT department.

I am aware of MDFR's candidate hiring list is "thousands" deep with names. If that list expires, you're going to try out to be on another list that's probably going to be longer. Plus with tight budgets, I'll be surprised that they will spend money on testing for a new list for no openings. Doesn't make sense to me.

The Miami-Dade Mayor's recall election should been a huge clue to everyone. I admit that I know very little about this guy, but if he's trying CUT everyone's (county departments) budget to avoid layoffs is quite telling.
    Once again, anyone down there looking for work in a fire department should apply elsewhere like upstate. I bet many of you guys that have your medic licenses along with your fire standards should look elsewhere. Up here in Central Florida we could use you (OCFRD, Osceola County FR. etc.) Yeah, it isn't Miami, but for crying out loud, if you looking for fire job, move!!! Not getting any younger and the economy is going to get any better any time soon! Lots of 25-30 year FFs are retiring up here, and they need to be replaced.
    Miami-Dade was my dream department when I was in fire school. Had to move away to find work to start my career. I don't regret it.
    Good Luck!!!
    Preaching to the choir, bro. lol, people just get their hopes up because it's their dream department or they know someone so they go based off of the rumors and have no clue or care not to research what is going on with the department. I don't even understand how these rumors start seeing as everyone working there should know the budget/pay cuts that the department is being faced with.
    Last edited by SVTxDUDE; 09-09-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Forum Member

Yep. Everyone here must understand that it is only official once the agency puts out announcement for hiring. Unfortunately for those that are looking, "they" sometimes bury the announcements so they don't get overwhelmed with applicants. Seen it happen in our last hiring cycle.

Just to add from my previous post, Fire Chiefs these days have a tough job. When I mean tough job, I mean they constantly have to justify our existance and services we provide to the public. Mayors and commissioners will dare to ask the chiefs, "Why is 75% of all FDs in the U.S. are volunteer and we pay ours, or why must you guys man your engines with 4 firefighters instead of 2, or why your rescue units have 3 medics and not 2.", etc. etc.
    Yes, the chiefs are actually being asked these things, year to year.

It is really that bad. So, if you one of those guys and gals down there in South Florida that got all your certs months ago or even years ago, you got to look elsewhere to work. No one says you have to stay at a small department for your entire career. You can always apply for MDFR later. I believe the economy will come back, but it will be awhile. Those in MDFR now are going hold on to their jobs as long as they can. It is conceivable that MDFR will lose FFs through retirements, injuries, and firings, but not replacement them because of budget constraints.

Forum Member

So I just recently received an email today, it states....

"Dear MDFR Firefighter Applicant:

In March, 2009 you submitted a firefighter application to Miami-Dade County Fire and Rescue Department (MDFR), and subseuently took and passed the Firefighter examination. Unfortunately, due to the fiscal challenges we have faced, we had not been able to start a class or hire new firefighters.

We are now planning a new firefighter class for the near future. So that we may move forward as soon as possible, we are requesting that you update your personal and certificate information previously provided. You will need to forward the information directly to MDFR by midnight January 6, 2012 by email to **********. Please make sure that all documents include the last five digits of your social security number."

The email goes on stating what information they all want updated, by what date and time.

It then states....

"Selected applicants will be contacted via e-mail to report for a mandatory Orientation Session and subsequent appointments. All selected applicants must pass an extensive background check which includes criminal history, and must meet all moral and criminal background guidelines and all additional employment requirements mandated by Florida Statutes for certification."

Not saying they are hiring, but at least there is some light shining through!!

Good Luck to all

Forum Member

Recent memo went out looking for recruit training staff for a "possible" recruit class.

Forum Member

It's about time that we kind of here some good news about Miami dade, I already updated my app, and just hope they invite all certified to the upcoming orientation.

Forum Member

Little late but happy new year.

Forum Member

i got this email too. i wonder how many did.

Forum Member

I spoke with MDFR human resources department today, the info i gathered was, give or take 40 to be hired, CERTIFIED FF/PM veterans get most preference followed by certified FF/PM civilians. Those chosen to continue are selected by a lottery system.

I have also spoken to a few captains who said, approx. 400 got the email (not a bad number considering its the county) and that the hiring should be quick, as to get the class on the line by sept.

Good luck to all

Forum Member

I understand its just a rumor but 400 seems like quite a low number considering how many people applied. Granted not everyone passed the written or even showed up, but still. I wonder how they came about that number or an approximation of. I only think this because I am neither veteran nor Fl certified, yet I recieved an email. I can only imagine that there are way more than 400 certified and veteran who passed the written who have more preference of being hired over me.

Forum Member

I also got the email and when I applied I was fully certified. Since then my fire has expired. Will be sending in other other certs that r current. Hope I'll be fine since they take non certs. Kind of glad they sent this email out to people who r not certified as egress1 mentioned.

Forum Member

Miami Dade with this tough economic time wouldnt want to pay for people to go through school. There are enough FF/PM to fit the whole equal employment opportunity thing and then some. I believe it will be veteran preference followed by a lottery of those with all the certifications and cleanest records simply because there are that many to chose from. Just my 2 cents

Forum Member

I completely agree!! They pretty much say that themselves. Im just confused why I, a person with no FL certs nor a veteran, would have even gotten an email. There has to be plenty more in the running with the qualifications, which they are "looking for", instead of wasting time with me. I can probably guarantee not everyone recieved an email, they had to have "weeded" some people out by now.

Forum Member

I believe the email was sent to everyone as an effort to get people to update there accounts. When i took the exam i had a CPR card and was still doing a first responder program. Since then i have become a Firefighter/Paramedic and have my EMS degree. I had updated my account in the past and just recently updated it again in case. I think after they update everyone's account they will see that they have more than enough to chose from to meet every desire.

Forum Member

Everytime someone calls they say something else. i've heard that its only going to be veterans, to its going to be a lottery, to they sent out thousands of emails. who knows what the deal is.

the only update i got was a confirmation on the 6th saying they updated my info.

Forum Member

Who else received a confirmation from MDFR?

Forum Member

I received a confirmation email. I too have been hearing so many different things and different numbers that they want to hire. Nothing is ever confirmed until the announcement is released by the county.

Good luck guys!

Forum Member

I got an email as well. I'm pretty sure anyone who passed the initial test got a letter. The county usually tests veterans first after that. I don't know how they decide in the end who they want to hire. though I know they do a lottery after they find the qualified candidates.

Forum Member

How many people here are both the MBFD, MDFR list? Any preference?

Forum Member

Anybody heard from the County yet?

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything. The county just recently finalized their labor contracts. I'm not sure how that is going to effect the hiring.
    Last edited by haneyweb; 02-01-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Forum Member

Anyone know if they contacted people for the cpat already?

From my understanding they wanted to hire a class of veterans. I also heard that the current list expires at the end of march or April. I don't think anyone has been contacted. We continue to wait.

Forum Member

They said that they wanted to hire in the first half of 2012..... I haven't heard of anyone hearing back from them yet :/ We continue to wait..............

MembersZone Subscriber

I wrote an email a couple months back about the status of the current list; they told me it expires in May of this year. My best guess since they haven't started doing anything yet is they will probably have another test before they hire again.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Thread Information