Thread: Miami Dade Fire

Forum Member

Default Miami Dade Fire

Does anybody know when Miami Dade Fire Rescue will be hiring again?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RustyFF View Post
    I was told by their hr in 2010 that they expected to hire in 3+ years if the economy improved. But their budget is even worse now so I don't think it'll be hiring anytime soon.
    Last edited by SVTxDUDE; 07-14-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Forum Member

Disclaimer: This is just from what I have come to understand from the workings of MDFR. I know its a very sensitive subject for some that touches a lot of nerves, being that all of their eggs are in the MDFR basket and they are angry at the wait. So don't take this information to heart, but from my knowledge of MDFR and from what several of the members of MDFR have told me.....

MDFR hired in mass quantities from 2005-2008 a few years ago because they were supposed to build several new stations. The stations were never built, so MDFR had just amassed more employees than they needed i.e. they were well over headcount.

MDFR has been operating over headcount for all these years, even up until now. They have not NEEDED to hire anyone because there has been no shortfall of people.

In the next few years, they will be experiencing a shortfall due to retirements. MDFR has not made any statements as to hiring. Miami-Dade county just got a new mayor and no one knows what he really wants to do yet. Perhaps in October when the new fiscal year begins, we may have an idea if they will hire some people, but until then, there is nothing going on.

I hope I haven't offended anyone like I did the last time, even though I posted practically the same thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    I haven't got an idea when their hiring again. I think they're budget is bad like everyone else across the country. If their going to hire, I hope it's soon.

......sorry, nothing to do this afternoon....
    Were you trying to mock me for misusing their, they're, and there? Because if you were, you might want to re-read your own comment.
    Last edited by SVTxDUDE; 07-14-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    Were you trying to mock me for misusing their, they're, and there? Because if you were, you might want to re-read your own comment.
    That's awesome...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RustyFF View Post

I doubt anytime soon. Good advice is to go back to school for something else in the meantime. The new mayor has already started cuts. I think he closed down 12-14 libraries and I believe he stated recently that he wants the FD and PD to give back some money that was given to them last year. As usual, its in negotiation with the union -_________-

The last list is still good though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fernan13 View Post
    I doubt anytime soon. Good advice is to go back to school for something else in the meantime. The new mayor has already started cuts. I think he closed down 12-14 libraries and I believe he stated recently that he wants the FD and PD to give back some money that was given to them last year. As usual, its in negotiation with the union -_________-

The last list is still good though.
    The 2011-12 budget actually has them hiring 189 positions. It cost them more in OT to keep the status quo. It all depends on what 1403 does...

The Fire Chief position is open and so is the contract.

MDPD is running their squads way short too. You switch hitters be out on the look for them as well. Not the fire service but still a good career.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Class110 View Post
    The 2011-12 budget actually has them hiring 189 positions. It cost them more in OT to keep the status quo. It all depends on what 1403 does...

The Fire Chief position is open and so is the contract.

MDPD is running their squads way short too. You switch hitters be out on the look for them as well. Not the fire service but still a good career.
    The new mayor is gunning for PD/FD so I doubt they'll have much room to do anything. In 2009 they were suppose to hire 200 for the 2009-2010 budget.

Last years proposal was :

"2010 - 11 Proposed Resource Allocation and Multi-Year Capital Plan
    Department Operational Unmet Needs:

Provide funding to purchase vehicle for the Heavy Fleet Replacement Program

Hire 27 Firefighters for operations to staff Fire Boat 2, diver operations, and training staff

Hire 48 administrative positions and provide additional funding support for administrative
    operations, public education programs, technology enhancements, educational seminars, travel,and debt service for new bonds

Hire 189 firefighters to staff new services for Aerial 8 at Aventura, Rescue 13 at East Kendall,
    Rescue 17 at Virginia Gardens, Rescue 36 at Hammocks, Rescue 45 at Doral, Rescue 55 at Saga Bay, Engine 57 at West Kendall, Rescue 60 at Redlands, Rescue 61 at Trail, Engine 65 at East Homestead, Rescue 66 at Village of Homestead, Rescue 67 at Arcola, and Aerial 68 at Dolphin

Install automatic gates and fences at various stations"

-----

Don't believe what anyone says until a job posting is listed. Miami Dade is a mess, and PD will definitely open up fastest than the FD. PD hired a few laterals at the beginning of 2010.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SVTxDUDE View Post
    Don't believe what anyone says until a job posting is listed. Miami Dade is a mess, and PD will definitely open up fastest than the FD. PD hired a few laterals at the beginning of 2010.
    Correct.
    Metro PD has hired laterals, but even those guys were tossed around with hiring BS for awhile. My brother was in the most recent lateral class that was picked up this year and I have a few friends in the last class who were supposed to be hired 2 years ago.

Like SVT says, until 15 minutes after it happens, don't believe it.

Forum Member

And I forgot to mention that his class was pushed back 4 times in 2 years because of budget issues

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats too bad to hear this about Miami Dade. I would really like to work for this fire department. It is number 2 on my list to jacksonville. However, it is good to hear that it will be a little bit before they hire because I havent completed any ems or fire training here in florida. Hopefully by next november I will have everything I would like to be certified in. My question is will this turn out to be another chicago like city? You know where they only test once a decade. I sure hope not. thanks for everyones imput.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaveKiefer View Post
    Thats too bad to hear this about Miami Dade. I would really like to work for this fire department. It is number 2 on my list to jacksonville. However, it is good to hear that it will be a little bit before they hire because I havent completed any ems or fire training here in florida. Hopefully by next november I will have everything I would like to be certified in. My question is will this turn out to be another chicago like city? You know where they only test once a decade. I sure hope not. thanks for everyones imput.
    Jacksonville over MDFR? Why, if you don't mind me asking.

MembersZone Subscriber

i live up here... I just got out of the army though so i have no ties to the area... I would love it just as much to work in the MDFR. is jax not a good dept? could you PM me and let me know about the places to look for here? is tampa any good?
    Last edited by DaveKiefer; 08-05-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    -Firefighting is a lifestyle NOT a career-

Forum Member

Forum Member

I hope they hire soon...that's another dream dream right next to work for Miami Beach..

Forum Member

Default Mdfr

My brother currently works there as a Firefighter. He got the job by crossing over from Corrections. Funny thing is, he didn't really want to be a Firefighter, but he had a group of friends coax him to go test, and now he loves it. The best part for me, is that I'm the first Firefighter in the family, and I'm younger. Score one for me.

Forum Member

Wow what a funny story!

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Relax, just messing with you.... And my post was wrong on purpose. That was the point. I know the difference between the homophones and was using them wrong to screw with you. How about, get over it, or do something back, but don't just btich and complain about it.

P.S. good luck on the OCFRD test
    I had a severe emotional event over this, you good sir almost ruined my day. Thank you for clarifying that you were just kidding weeks after this ordeal..

lol

Good luck to you too!

Forum Member

Just read an ariticle in the Miami Herald...the new Mayor Gimenez wants a new contract signed by Nov or else he's going to layoffs..he also wants 8% pay cuts for county employees or else he's going to start firing employees..

So it's not looking good to anyone trying to get on this great Dept.

I will be staying put where I am at until this financial storm is over..the best asset to have now a days is seniority..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FirehouseFF56 View Post
    Just read an ariticle in the Miami Herald...the new Mayor Gimenez wants a new contract signed by Nov or else he's going to layoffs..he also wants 8% pay cuts for county employees or else he's going to start firing employees..

So it's not looking good to anyone trying to get on this great Dept.

I will be staying put where I am at until this financial storm is over..the best asset to have now a days is seniority..
    Yet, I bet in a month someone will post a thread saying that MDFR is going to hire soon based on what they heard.

Forum Member

Nobody is looking good.. The City of Miami is taking ANOTHER PAY CUT ON TOP OF THE ONE THEY GOT LAST YEAR. I got buddies in the last class they had that arent even breaking the $1000 mark on there paychecks..

Forum Member

wow you serious? I guess I am in a good spot where I am at.

Forum Member

current list with 3000+ people is due to expire in may 2011....they will have to advertise for hiring/testing around feb or mar in order to make a new list... or the department will miss out on federal grant funding. They prob will not hire from the newer list until they fix the mess the county is in...

Forum Member

sorry i meant May 2012

Forum Member

Default Miami Dade Fire Rescue

The problem with Miami Dade County (not just Fire but as a whole) is CORRUPTION.
    The City of Miami has a freedom fighter Chief of Police who cant get it done even with the help of the feds.. whos paying for it?
    We are.
    Sadly, the ones that are going to pay for it is the new class genereation.. your not going to have a pension and sooner or later your not going to have social security either. Face it. Its only a matter of time before everything gets stripped away. Look at the Irish in the old "nina" days.. nobody wanted to do this job in the old days because it was dirty , bad equipment, extremely dangerous and the pay way horrible.
    History repeats itself.
    NINA "No Irish Need Apply"

Thread Information