Forum Member

Default Looking for a good respirator

I have been volunteering for about 5 years now and I am looking to invest in a good respirator. There are many out there available and I don't know which on to get. I can't afford an SCBA system. I am looking for something in the full face design, any suggestions? I have been looking at the 3M 6000 Series respirator and the MSA series. I am not exposed to large amounts of smoke, I help out with the post-fire duties.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgiavolunteer View Post
    I am not exposed to large amounts of smoke, I help out with the post-fire duties.
    Such as......?????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

why the hell doesn't your department supply you with one?
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Such as......?????
    Investigation? Maybe salvage type activities (similar to what the FDNY Fire Patrol did)? Insurance company perhaps?

Just because he says he volunteers doesn't necessarily mean he is a volunteer FF.

Forum Member

Sorry I forgot to clarify. I live in a very small community that doesn't have much funding so a lot of the volunteers have to supply their own gear...it's no big deal, I get breaks in other areas. I don't do any 'firefighting', I help out with fire scene duties and clean-up afterwards. I am just looking for something that is going to give me some respiratory protection. Thanks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgiavolunteer View Post
    Sorry I forgot to clarify. I live in a very small community that doesn't have much funding so a lot of the volunteers have to supply their own gear...it's no big deal, I get breaks in other areas. I don't do any 'firefighting', I help out with fire scene duties and clean-up afterwards. I am just looking for something that is going to give me some respiratory protection. Thanks.
    The problem in many modern structural fires, especially during mop-up or overhaul is the poisonous gasses and lack of oxygen. APR's are not going to provide you the protection you need from cyanide gasses, carbon monoxide or other gasses or oxygen-depleted atmospheres.

Let those who are wearing SCBA do mop up and overhaul. And if the fire departments (poor or not) are not furnishing required equipment, shame on them. There are so many State and Federal Grants out there these days (especially for personal protection equipment) that it's almost impossible not to get one, most especially if you are a poor department.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information