Forum Member

Default Tips for Fire Academy Success?

-------------------
    Last edited by Neil321; 06-01-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Forum Member

Don't be on time, BE EARLY! Be the first to clean up and the last to finish. Do everything with a sense of urgency. Show ownership and pride in everything you do. Treat your instructors and classmates with respect. If you don't understand something, ask for help. Surround yourself with the serious, mature students, not the class clowns. Don't go out drinking and act like an idiot. Keep your mouth shut and ears open. Give 110% whether you are doing a fire evolution or cleaning the toilets. Best of luck to you! Oh, the more education that you have the better. Anything that can put you above the rest of the candidates is paramount. It is a very competitive hiring process. Also, please don't get any traffic violations, parking tickets, DUIs, etc. It will kill your chances.

Forum Member

I didn't go to LSU-FETI, but you don't get ahead in the fire service by being as dumb as a box of rocks... although there are those who manage to eke through...

Keep your ears open and your mouth shut.

If you have any previous experience... forget it. They will teach you by their numbers, their way.

Volunteer to do demonstrations of any kind of evolution. The instructors will point out if you made errors, and you will learn quicker.

Make note of the errors of others and don't do what they did.

Keep your nose in the books.

If tying knots is part of the program, then keep practicing.

Help you fellow students if they have a problem... your strengths might be their weaknesses, you weaknesses might be their strengths. In the real world, you will be depending on them as much as they are depending on you.

Don't judge the book by the cover. I have seen recruits at the Massachusetts Fire Academy (where I work per diem for) be looked down upon because of their size and gender... and seen them outperform their critics six ways to Sunday when the time comes to perform.

Work smarter, not harder when appropriate.
    Work harder at working smarter.

Remember that not all of the instructors you will have have bars or bugles on their collars... some of them are happy to be grunts on their FD and share the knowledge they have learned over the years.

Check your PPE and SCBA daily.. as they are your "suit of armor" and "life support system".

Did I mention keep your ears open and mouth shut?

Good luck, enjoy your time at the academy and keep learning... every day brings a new challenge.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

So how did you get your emt through Dallas , did you go through thier hiring process and academy????

Find someone in the class that is good with computers and from day one start a study guide for a study group, have the group put together questions from the class presented

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by beachfire View Post
    Don't be on time, BE EARLY! Be the first to clean up and the last to finish. Do everything with a sense of urgency. Show ownership and pride in everything you do. Treat your instructors and classmates with respect. If you don't understand something, ask for help. Surround yourself with the serious, mature students, not the class clowns. Don't go out drinking and act like an idiot. Keep your mouth shut and ears open. Give 110% whether you are doing a fire evolution or cleaning the toilets. Best of luck to you! Oh, the more education that you have the better. Anything that can put you above the rest of the candidates is paramount. It is a very competitive hiring process. Also, please don't get any traffic violations, parking tickets, DUIs, etc. It will kill your chances.

Take everything he said religiously!
    Firefighting - one of the few professions left that still makes house calls.

Forum Member

--------------

Forum Member

------------------
    Last edited by Neil321; 06-01-2013 at 01:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief Gonzo has some great advice. I'll try to help with my quarter cent.

Is this for a college or a fire department?

I'll comment a little on my current academy, but it's for a fire department. It wil be different I'm guessing for a college (I went to one, also), because their expectations for physical fitness will likely be a LOT lower. The physical fitness required for mine is INTENSE. I'd say when you get to around 7-7:30 on the CPAT you're close. Then work with full gear for 5 more hours.

I wouldn't worry about running TOO much, but more on the metcon workouts to build endurance. Lift stuff, push stuff, move stuff. Lots of core work, too. You'll need workouts that use stregth with your cardio. You'll never be without a tool or gear on, so wear a backpack with weight and climb stairs. Do a workout 4-5 times a week, 2 a day if you aren't pushing too hard. But don't get injured. Look up some workouts from Crossfit or P90X, that may help.

Good luck!

Forum Member

------------------

Forum Member

If someone comes in to instruct saying they are from bossier parish, get up and run.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Neil321 View Post
    This is through a college, though many of our fire depts in the state send their recruits through this academy as well. I don't want to underestimate the running because I hear it's a BIG part of the program. I have a 40 lb weight vest that I wear under my turnout gear to climb stairs at the local hospital. As far as workouts, I always hear the big three are back, legs, and lungs. Any recommended routines that helped you survive?
    A couple of my favorites:

"Card" workout
    Each suit of a deck of cards are a different exercise. For example:
    Burpees, situps, pushups, squats or pullups, mountain climbers, burpees, situps, etc. GO through the whole deck.

"The Chief"
    Max rounds in 3 minutes of:
    135 pound Power cleans, 3 reps
    6 Push-ups
    9 Squats
    Rest 1 minute. Repeat for a total of 5 cycles.

"Cindy"
    Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
    5 Pull-ups
    10 Push-ups
    15 Squats

"Angie"
    For time:
    100 Pull-ups
    100 Push-ups
    100 Sit-ups
    100 Squats

Be careful on Angie if you haven't done many pullups. It'll kill weak shoulders.
    Last edited by GaiusPaul; 07-15-2011 at 05:28 PM.

Forum Member

------------
    "you know what the best part is? It's not knowing that your friends have got your back--it's knowing that YOU'VE got your FRIENDS' backs."

-Green Street Hooligans

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not bad, Chief has scaled back the PT and though it's everyday it's not even close to as grueling as it use to be. Sadly, you've missed the academy in its heyday. Many cutbacks will dampen your experience.

Any other questions, let me know.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Thread Information