Like Tree9825Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

If you have to walk back to the Rock after the 1.5 mile run you won't make it past week 2, and even that is pushing it.

Forum Member

I really need to get my run times down. I can admit when I started this process I was def not in shape. But I've been working hard towards my goals, I started at about 15:30 1.5 mile about a month and a half ago, I'm down to around 12 flat, but damn guys in the 8's? That's like my mile time! I run every other day, and do the stairs on the in between days. I alternate my runs from steady runs some days and interval sprints some days but I seem to have plateaued around 12, I know that's passing but I def don't want to just be in passing shape. My strength is decent , my push ups and pull ups are decent as well, the damn running just kills me, any training techniques or tips? I know I've posted about my weakness in the running field before , I just though I was doing good shaving over 2 minutes off, but reading some of these times now I'm worried!

Forum Member

If you want to get your run times down you need to do some speed work on the track or somewhere where u can just run at a sprint, if you are doing it right you feel like throwing up most of the time or for at least the few weeks ur body is adjusting to the strain. You also should do some tempo runs as well to help your body get used to the quicker pace and stress. If you want to get quicker you just need to focus and punish yourself on the runs, if you are unable to get through twelve min then you should really examine what you are doing and somehow add stress to your runs. I am personally not a good middle distance or distance runner but you train for it and your body will eventually adapt, I'll be happy if I can hit middle 9 minutes for the run, don't worry about anyone else's run time, just worry about what you can control, that's the name of this whole hiring process.
    DSNY2FDNY likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    If you want to get your run times down you need to do some speed work on the track or somewhere where u can just run at a sprint, if you are doing it right you feel like throwing up most of the time or for at least the few weeks ur body is adjusting to the strain. You also should do some tempo runs as well to help your body get used to the quicker pace and stress. If you want to get quicker you just need to focus and punish yourself on the runs, if you are unable to get through twelve min then you should really examine what you are doing and somehow add stress to your runs. I am personally not a good middle distance or distance runner but you train for it and your body will eventually adapt, I'll be happy if I can hit middle 9 minutes for the run, don't worry about anyone else's run time, just worry about what you can control, that's the name of this whole hiring process.
    Yeah on my interval runs I'm on a full sprint for the higher interval , my steady pace runs I'm at like 60 percent of full speed for the entire run, maybe I'll try to kick it up. I still have some weight to lose in my opinion, I'm 5'10 at like 185, id like to be at like 175 by the academy, which I'm hoping for July 15, that 10lbs def makes a diff when it comes to endurance I believe, in any event I'm just going to keep training, I know it comes with time and consistency, I def didn't think guys where in the 8's though, that's like a 5:30 mile pace, pretty quick! But like you said don't worry about them just focus on showing up in the best peronal shape I could be. Thanks for the tips!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Does anyone have the main phone number for CID? I tried using the search function to find it but this site is a pain to navigate with a phone. Just found out last night that my investigator no longer works with CID and my file was passed off to someone else. Only found out because I reached out to just touch base and see if my file needed any updating since last May.
    Who was your investigator?? I am currently out of the country and would like to know if I have to do the same.

Forum Member

Why are so few candidates showing up the the fitness awareness?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Why are so few candidates showing up the the fitness awareness?
    I dont think its mandatory. Me personally would go anyway because its definitely mandatory to know what your going to be doing before the fact
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hotchi11 View Post
    Who was your investigator?? I am currently out of the country and would like to know if I have to do the same.
    Pm me. I don't want to blow up anyone's spot.

Forum Member

3 more weeks at the Rock....

Its gonna be a fun week in the field. Stopped by the house on Friday, got lucky and caught 3 runs; two EMS and one 10-26. The feeling of being on the Rig was amazing. Cant wait to be out there for good. Night fellas.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DSNY2FDNY View Post
    I really need to get my run times down. I can admit when I started this process I was def not in shape. But I've been working hard towards my goals, I started at about 15:30 1.5 mile about a month and a half ago, I'm down to around 12 flat, but damn guys in the 8's? That's like my mile time! I run every other day, and do the stairs on the in between days. I alternate my runs from steady runs some days and interval sprints some days but I seem to have plateaued around 12, I know that's passing but I def don't want to just be in passing shape. My strength is decent , my push ups and pull ups are decent as well, the damn running just kills me, any training techniques or tips? I know I've posted about my weakness in the running field before , I just though I was doing good shaving over 2 minutes off, but reading some of these times now I'm worried!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSNY2FDNY View Post
    Check out this website. I've been using the run programs with some mild tweaking for my own personal needs but I've shave quite a bit off my times. I've gone from a nearly 10min mile to a 7min mile and a sub 10:30 1.5m. Also has me on the cusp of running the 5k in sub 24min.
    Combine this program http://www.military.com/military-fit...r-pft-run-time with this program http://www.military.com/military-fit...0902188&rank=1 Both have been tremendous for me in the running department.
    Gheech, DSNY2FDNY and BklynFDNY89 like this.

Forum Member

Guys I'm running the nyc half marathon March 15 of next year. Just an idea if you guys want something to train for in advance of the academy.

Gonna try and raise a couple bucks for charity during the process - and NY road runners is offering weekly training for participants that want it.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Guys I'm running the nyc half marathon March 15 of next year. Just an idea if you guys want something to train for in advance of the academy.

Gonna try and raise a couple bucks for charity during the process - and NY road runners is offering weekly training for participants that want it.
    I'm hoping to run the half next year too. Gotta get in via lottery though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Check out this website. I've been using the run programs with some mild tweaking for my own personal needs but I've shave quite a bit off my times. I've gone from a nearly 10min mile to a 7min mile and a sub 10:30 1.5m. Also has me on the cusp of running the 5k in sub 24min.
    Combine this program http://www.military.com/military-fit...r-pft-run-time with this program http://www.military.com/military-fit...0902188&rank=1 Both have been tremendous for me in the running department.
    Thanks bud!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I'm surprised the fdny running club can't find you a spot.

Forum Member

i ran the SI half and entered the NYC half lottery. I was told my chances to get in are around 1 in 6

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I signed up aswell. i hope we get in!

Thread Information