Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Like Tree9064Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    I find it hard to believe legally the are going to have another promo that soon. Look how hard it was for them to make the last test and how much money it ended up costing. Only way I would guess is if they gave you it's exam 2000 again since we never for an answer key and even that seems problematic.
    They spent so much money because they needed to do a whole bunch of stuff to come up with a bullet proof test for the courts. Now that they've done it once I imagine it should be easier to do again. I don't believe they'll have another promotion test so soon because EMS probably isn't back to full capacity after their ranks being depleted so there's really no benefit to depleting their ranks again when there are plenty of people on the OC list who are ready to go and haven't been trained by EMS.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyD0pe View Post
    Do you really think they will start on the 12/1/14 and not wait towards the end of December when most college semesters finish. Makes me rethink about signing up for classes next semester. Like the instructors said "probie school waits for no one !"
    Who knows, it's too early to do anything other than speculate.

Forum Member

Re: the school thing. Sign up and go and if you get called work something out with your teachers. Most would understand... It's like a 2% acceptance rate when you factor in the guys who signed up and either didn't take the test or scored too low. Most schools only go another 20 days into dec.

At least that's what I plan on doing. And then wrapping up after I've been on the job for 6 mon-year

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Re: the school thing. Sign up and go and if you get called work something out with your teachers. Most would understand... It's like a 2% acceptance rate when you factor in the guys who signed up and either didn't take the test or scored too low. Most schools only go another 20 days into dec.

At least that's what I plan on doing. And then wrapping up after I've been on the job for 6 mon-year
    In this scenario I will have to study to squeeze finals for the weekend and at the same time study for the first probie school quizzes during the week. All while I rest my body for more pain. That will be crazy.

Forum Member

In this scenario I will have to study to squeeze finals for the weekend and at the same time study for the first probie school quizzes during the week. All while I rest my body for more pain. That will be crazy.
    If you make it in and you're in school at the time the academy is gonna start....you study that probie manual and get your workouts in as your first priority, split in half. If you have time, you study for finals. Cause really, who cares about calculus or anthropology or whatever it is you're taking. I think we both know what is most important here.

Source: I'm in school and would punt my overpriced textbooks into the east river if I had to (if I ever get in).

Edit: I think I read it wrong. You're speaking as if you would continue school while starting the academy? Man, I would just drop school in a heartbeat. I wouldn't care if it is all the way at the end of the semester.
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 04-09-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Forum Member

Or if near the beginning of the semester you hear a pretty definite start date for the academy you could always just drop your classes and skip that semester. If you roll the dice and have to leave school for the academy if you're close enough to the end you could just explain the situation to your teachers and try and finish the semester out on the weekends. It'd suck for a few weeks but that beats losing all the money spent on school.

I was supposed to be in school the fall semester before my academy but once I heard it was pretty much a definite I decided to drop out and focus on the gym. Also had personal issues going on in life. I don't regret the decision at all.

Forum Member

I've heard rumors about this also. It'll be cheaper for the department to hired from within. It all comes down to money

Forum Member

You were right, I was referring to starting the academy on 12/1/14 which would be towards the end of my college semester. It would be a waste of money and time if I drop out towards the end and get F or incomplete as a grade. But of course, the academy would be my priority no matter what if I get in. I may be getting ahead of myself but it doesn't hurt to have a plan if the academy does start early as speculated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mo2012 View Post
    I've heard rumors about this also. It'll be cheaper for the department to hired from within. It all comes down to money
    Exactly. Ems people don't know anymore than anyone else so like I said, who knows. Just passing on some rumors like everything else, rumors.

Forum Member

How so? They still do a background investigation (EMTs are not peace officers), they still do a new medical, they still do a CPAT, and the cost of the academy per probie is the same. Additionally, any member promoted from EMS was trained by the EMS academy, and issued EMS uniforms, which are both costs that won't be recuperated. So they spend a bunch of time and money on you to become an EMT, and 2 years later you leave to be a firefighter. They put you through all the same steps as anybody else. I don't see how it's cheaper.

I believe it's easier since a lot of the logistics are very easy to deal with when the candidates are already employees: they scheduled pretty much everything around what platoon you work in EMS. I can't really see it as being the cheaper option though.

You were right, I was referring to starting the academy on 12/1/14 which would be towards the end of my college semester. It would be a waste of money and time if I drop out towards the end and get F or incomplete as a grade. But of course, the academy would be my priority no matter what if I get in. I may be getting ahead of myself but it doesn't hurt to have a plan if the academy does start early as speculated.
    Yeah I got that. Like I said, say in August it looks pretty good for you in December. Maybe you should consider not taking classes for that semester. If you end up having a few week overlap I'd try and suck it up and finish school while in the academy. Professors are pretty damn understandable if you're a good student and have real problems.

Forum Member

[QUOTE
    Yeah I got that. Like I said, say in August it looks pretty good for you in December. Maybe you should consider not taking classes for that semester. If you end up having a few week overlap I'd try and suck it up and finish school while in the academy. Professors are pretty damn understandable if you're a good student and have real problems.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I got it. Thanks for the great advice.

Forum Member

How is it cheaper? There is a list of highly qualified candidates that they've spent so much money on. This would be the exact opposite of saving money.

Forum Member

Yes. I got it. Thanks for the great advice.

Sorry about my sh1tty advice. I've pretty much never known what I'm talking about in any regard about anything, ever. You can ask my ex for verification...
    River6019 and NycQ83 like this.

Forum Member

Some schools let you make up finals etc on the following semester. My friend did it for a stupid reason like he just didn't show up. So ask them before hand.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Some schools let you make up finals etc on the following semester. My friend did it for a stupid reason like he just didn't show up. So ask them before hand.
    Both administration and the professors themselves can be very flexible. I got away with tons as an adult student working nights.

Forum Member

Does the fdny use the 1 in 3 rule for hiring from the open competitive exam? Can you be disqualified based on that with no explanation?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4Life View Post
    Does the fdny use the 1 in 3 rule for hiring from the open competitive exam? Can you be disqualified based on that with no explanation?
    no, the 1 in 3 is just what seems to be the "trend" that usually takes places when putting together a class. People are only dropped or DQ'q because they failed something, didnt follow up on paper work, weren't interested, etc. No one is dropped to to keep the process 1 in 3.

Forum Member

Yes my experience is good students usually have some leeway.

I'm getting my MA right now. Mostly because it's important to me but also because later in life you never know. But if I heard mid nov there would be a dec 1 class id pretty much expect my profs to be somewhat understanding

I know the cuny schools are pretty understanding because they're public schools. Also the other ones are so expensive just remind them you're a customer as much as you are a student.

YMMV

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by test2000 View Post
    Doesn't really make sense! Hoping there is no merit to this...

Also, I don't see anything in the FY2015 fire department budget. If you go back a few years, it shows in the budget they plan on having a test and begin hiring in 2013.. So I would think they would need to show in their budget the cost to put through a test and administer it. Would only make sense to have the application period next year and a test spring 2016 to begin hiring either late 2017 (after the current OC list expires) or early 2018.
    This makes more sense. Also makes me happy. Hopefully I can get hired by fdny ems by early 2015 and have some time to prepare for the OC and the Promo test. But even when I take the test ill have to wait 2 years... plenty of time to get fit for the CPAT and the academy! but dam I sure have a long time till that happens.. wish i made moves to be a ff when i was in high school, not after college

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    This makes more sense. Also makes me happy. Hopefully I can get hired by fdny ems by early 2015 and have some time to prepare for the OC and the Promo test. But even when I take the test ill have to wait 2 years... plenty of time to get fit for the CPAT and the academy! but dam I sure have a long time till that happens.. wish i made moves to be a ff when i was in high school, not after college
    Just be happy that you didn't have to deal with the heartbreak of 6019 and look at the prospect of being in the academy in your early 30's.
    thirdtimesacharm likes this.
    2000-36XX
    6019-19XX

Forum Member

I'm moving and just called DCAS to change me address. On the automated system it says it's going to fax me a form to mail over. I would definitely feel more comfortable that it was getting done if I got to talk to someone over the phone. Has anyone else gone through this recently?
    Test 2000
    Score 101
    List # 16**

Thread Information