Like Tree11287Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matador611 View Post
    Not including the upcoming class....I believe there is going to be 4 more academies from this list
    I think they'll try to fit a second class in 2017. Especially if what we're hearing about shortening the academy time is true (fingers crossed of course)
    Matador611 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patiently_Waiting View Post
    I think they'll try to fit a second class in 2017. Especially if what we're hearing about shortening the academy time is true (fingers crossed of course)
    Hopefully man.....but your around me right? 46**. If they are going thru 650 to 700 per class. We should be in by july 16 or jan 17

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    How much were they undermanned front the start? I remember someone saying they haven't increased head count this list much at all, due to promotions and retirement?
    I don't know about from the start, but I've been told they're around 500-600 undermanned, and it's been staying steady because the retirements/promotions are offsetting the new probies.

In reality, this doesn't mean anything other than don't expect the list to stagnate.
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

Unglue Your Sticks Man | Feat. Kelly Starrett | E…: http://youtu.be/Q8vay90655Q

Recovering your Jumping Calves | Feat. Kelly Star…: http://youtu.be/tYp1U8-c7h4
    wow thanks a lot!! I've been having the same problem on my left leg. Now I know what I can do to help it get better. I was going crazy trying to figure out how to get rid of that pain. I am also thinking about getting some compression sleeves hopefully that works too. Just an update as well, I went to the calesthenics class on Saturday morning and I must say that my shoulder is still sore. I will definitely have to change my workout routine. I was hanging in there at first but man my arms just gave up on me lol. I definitely have work to do.
    Rdarf85 likes this.

Forum Member

Unglue Your Sticks Man | Feat. Kelly Starrett | E…: http://youtu.be/Q8vay90655Q

Recovering your Jumping Calves | Feat. Kelly Star…: http://youtu.be/tYp1U8-c7h4
    Thanks so much man. I was just going to deal with not knowing and pushing through. Really appreciate this.
    Matador611 and Rdarf85 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC55 View Post
    wow thanks a lot!! I've been having the same problem on my left leg. Now I know what I can do to help it get better. I was going crazy trying to figure out how to get rid of that pain. I am also thinking about getting some compression sleeves hopefully that works too. Just an update as well, I went to the calesthenics class on Saturday morning and I must say that my shoulder is still sore. I will definitely have to change my workout routine. I was hanging in there at first but man my arms just gave up on me lol. I definitely have work to do.
    Right there with you bro. Honestly wasn't winded at all through the pt session. My arms literally just failed on me. More specifically my shoulders. I did the am session on Saturday and my shoulders are still on fire from it. I plan on doing variations of the workouts that were recently posted plus the ones on the Fdny website every other day with runs after each of them resting the weekends to mimic the academy. Only stretching and a light mid distance recovery run on Saturdays. That should be enough to get past all the weight training circuits I was doing and actually put me on the right track for this next class.
    Rdarf85 likes this.

Forum Member

They did mention (fitness unit and the chief in charge of training at the acadamey) that there was going to be an additional assessment session most likely held in early December prior to the run-letters being sent out (possibly) that would serve as a kind-of additional determination for getting into the class. It would allow the DI's, fitness unit and Officers to look at and gauge whether or not candidates had made actual improvements in their fitness levels from the baseline preformance conducted initially. Again like everything I suppose this is subject to change but I think it's meant to be a kick-in-the-tush for those that might have thought barely passing was going to cut the mustard. They didn't say anything about a shorter acadamey and were not able to say a definitive start date as with most agencies the best advice is to hurry up and wait.
    BrooklynBorn and Matador611 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    Thanks so much man. I was just going to deal with not knowing and pushing through. Really appreciate this.
    No problem man....Im fascinated by physical therapy....Im glad to help

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2312 View Post
    They did mention (fitness unit and the chief in charge of training at the acadamey) that there was going to be an additional assessment session most likely held in early December prior to the run-letters being sent out (possibly) that would serve as a kind-of additional determination for getting into the class. It would allow the DI's, fitness unit and Officers to look at and gauge whether or not candidates had made actual improvements in their fitness levels from the baseline preformance conducted initially. Again like everything I suppose this is subject to change but I think it's meant to be a kick-in-the-tush for those that might have thought barely passing was going to cut the mustard. They didn't say anything about a shorter acadamey and were not able to say a definitive start date as with most agencies the best advice is to hurry up and wait.
    I disagree a bit with that. I don't see how at this point the hiring process can be changed to allow the DIs and instructors at the academy can pick and choose who can get into to the academy based on some arbitrary improvement of stats that aren't specified. Maybe in the future but not for this class. It does make sense though especially with this new Fitness Awareness Program. Also, I don't think it's for those looking to barely pass. I think it's more meant to show those that thought they were doing the right training that it's much more than just running and hitting the gym. I had a rough time with the pt but that's not representative of the work I've been putting in. I've been running 5 days a week and in the gym 2 days a week doing the Myerjack circuit with a Rushfit dvd mixed in 1x a week. Don't get me wrong I'm not training to finish at the top of the academy but I have been training to succeed. Problem is what I was doing wasn't the right way to go about it and I'm grateful for the rude awakening I received Saturday morning. Needless to say today started the proper training regimen and 8-9 weeks is plenty of time to do the right thing.
    Medic2312 and Rdarf85 like this.

Forum Member

I disagree a bit with that. I don't see how at this point the hiring process can be changed to allow the DIs and instructors at the academy can pick and choose who can get into to the academy based on some arbitrary improvement of stats that aren't specified. Maybe in the future but not for this class. It does make sense though especially with this new Fitness Awareness Program. Also, I don't think it's for those looking to barely pass. I think it's more meant to show those that thought they were doing the right training that it's much more than just running and hitting the gym. I had a rough time with the pt but that's not representative of the work I've been putting in. I've been running 5 days a week and in the gym 2 days a week doing the Myerjack circuit with a Rushfit dvd mixed in 1x a week. Don't get me wrong I'm not training to finish at the top of the academy but I have been training to succeed. Problem is what I was doing wasn't the right way to go about it and I'm grateful for the rude awakening I received Saturday morning. Needless to say today started the proper training regimen and 8-9 weeks is plenty of time to do the right thing.
    Fair enough. I'll concede. But I do think as you said in the future it might be used as a tool by the staff. We still are awaiting the feedback emails so yeah it takes a while to set something like that up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2312 View Post
    Fair enough. I'll concede. But I do think as you said in the future it might be used as a tool by the staff. We still are awaiting the feedback emails so yeah it takes a while to set something like that up.
    Remember as well that this was all voluntary and I can guarantee all 300 candidates for the upcoming class didn't sign up. I do agree some folks that thought hey I can run 3 miles and do 30 push-ups I'm good to go and all about coasting the rest of the way. I just felt some kind of way about being lumped in with those folks that's all. It's a great tool to use though. Wish it could be done now to weed out folks before they take a spot from someone more deserving but the logistics just don't line up right now.

Forum Member

but the logistics just don't line up right now.
    Logistics?

Forum Member

I would guesstimate that probably less than 100 candidates showed up for the fitness awareness program altogether when all is said and done. I base this purely on the turnout I saw and the comments from a couple of instructors that I heard...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    I would guesstimate that probably less than 100 candidates showed up for the fitness awareness program altogether when all is said and done. I base this purely on the turnout I saw and the comments from a couple of instructors that I heard...
    Only 100? Out of how many? I understand some are busy and have trouble getting there but its such a valuable resource
    Rdarf85 likes this.

Forum Member

Logistics?
    Yea logistics. Such as not even half the eligible candidates signed up for the FAP or even showed up. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's a law suit somewhere in there for the FDNY if all of a sudden they started using this program to vet candidates coming in and use it to keep some potential ones out. There's a lot more but that's basically what I meant by logistics.

Forum Member

Only 100? Out of how many? I understand some are busy and have trouble getting there but its such a valuable resource
    Yes that boggles my mind too.

All good. I just know I won't miss it.

The good thing is the PT sounds challenge find, of course, but doable. So these sessions are a relief for some of us candidates if for no other reason then to alleviate the mystery of it all.

Forum Member

Out of who knows how many hundreds that got contacted. And I could be completely off base with that number. Just the feeling I got.

And just to say it again. You guys in the future, make certain that you go to both sessions. Even if you feel that your run/push-ups etc are up to par. I had a last minute family thing which I had to go to instead, but I regret it. Having to do both in the same day was brutal for me, and they will indeed make you do that. I really pushed myself on the 1.5, which was the first thing, and it affected my PT session. I ran harder than I had ever ran in my life at that path, and I was feeling it. And still kind of am to be perfectly honest. I'm pretty sore all over actually from everything, which gets me a little nervous and intimidated. Having to endure the entire day of the academy day after day like that, being sore as I am/was....is intimidating. Hoping that following the workouts they put out will get the muscles somewhat more used to it. Cause that is the reason a lot of us are sore right now.

In conclusion: Go to both sessions when your time comes, and start following those workouts on the site (and workouts of that nature).
    Rdarf85 likes this.

Forum Member

Out of who knows how many hundreds that got contacted. And I could be completely off base with that number. Just the feeling I got.

And just to say it again. You guys in the future, make certain that you go to both sessions. Even if you feel that your run/push-ups etc are up to par. I had a last minute family thing which I had to go to instead, but I regret it. Having to do both in the same day was brutal for me, and they will indeed make you do that. I really pushed myself on the 1.5, which was the first thing, and it affected my PT session. I ran harder than I had ever ran in my life at that path, and I was feeling it. And still kind of am to be perfectly honest. I'm pretty sore all over actually from everything, which gets me a little nervous and intimidated. Having to endure the entire day of the academy day after day like that, being sore as I am/was....is intimidating. Hoping that following the workouts they put out will get the muscles somewhat more used to it. Cause that is the reason a lot of us are sore right now.

In conclusion: Go to both sessions when your time comes, and start following those workouts on the site (and workouts of that nature).
    Is it safe to say to do those workouts on the DCAS site 3 times a week with a day of rest in btw?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanCroon View Post
    Is it safe to say to do those workouts on the DCAS site 3 times a week with a day of rest in btw?
    Honestly bro, I don't even feel like I'm in the position to answer that. All I can tell you is that they do PT every day for the first two weeks at least. This out of the mouth of the instructors. Get used to using your muscles like this to get them used to it so you reduce how sore you're gonna be. That's all I can really recommend as the complete nobody that I am (we are).
    VanCroon and Rdarf85 like this.

Forum Member

Cpat tomorrow oh boy oh boyy
    Matador611 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Cpat tomorrow oh boy oh boyy
    Are you in the 2000's or 3000's?

Forum Member

Honestly bro, I don't even feel like I'm in the position to answer that. All I can tell you is that they do PT every day for the first two weeks at least. This out of the mouth of the instructors. Get used to using your muscles like this to get them used to it so you reduce how sore you're gonna be. That's all I can really recommend as the complete nobody that I am (we are).
    Those 2 videos were actual workouts from this Academy class or was this one of those PT sessions you guys are referring to?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanCroon View Post
    I asked one of the instructors this same question but my version included runs in between them instead of days off. They made it clear that even though PT isn't everyday you are always being pushed physically everyday. Wednesday is the only day of physical respite for CFR-D but that's it. Best to mimc it as much as possible.
    VanCroon likes this.

Forum Member

can someone please post the workouts on the video by sets my computer and iPad aren't able to play the videos for some reason. thanks in advance, sorry to be a pain in the a**

Forum Member

Are you in the 2000's or 3000's?
    I don't know anymore tbh, I think my list number changed & I don't know where to find the updated list.

Thread Information