Like Tree9963Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Yeah received it as well. We'll essentially be running this damn mile and a half 3 more times before the academy truly starts. I wish I didn't set the bar so damn high for myself on the first one lol. Literally ran harder than I ever could have imagined. I don't want to get chewed out for not improving it. Although, getting chewed out is something any of us trying to get on should learn to get used to I imagine.
    What was your first time? If you run a sub 10min 1.5m they probably can't say that much about you. I mean, they still will, but let's be realistic. If you just barely made it under 12 then that's a different story.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    What was your first time? If you run a sub 10min 1.5m they probably can't say that much about you. I mean, they still will, but let's be realistic. If you just barely made it under 12 then that's a different story.

Did it in 10:16. Like I said, hardest I've ever ran. And it is because I get motivated and competitive when running with others. Was only 2 other guys. But they were both like 6'3" and had longer strides (that's my excuse dammit).

It comes down to who I'd run with on any given assessment day, how I'm feeling, and the damn weather which is about to get cold and can have an effect for me personally. Either way, I expect to get chewed out one way or the other. I guess I'm just afraid of having a worse time, never mind improving.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    Did it in 10:16. Like I said, hardest I've ever ran. And it is because I get motivated and competitive when running with others. Was only 2 other guys. But they were both like 6'3" and had longer strides (that's my excuse dammit).

It comes down to who I'd run with on any given assessment day, how I'm feeling, and the damn weather which is about to get cold and can have an effect for me personally. Either way, I expect to get chewed out one way or the other. I guess I'm just afraid of having a worse time, never mind improving.
    Just don't hurt yourself. Pulling or straining something trying to do an all out sprint for a practice run before the academy would be pretty bad. If they're going to bust balls they'll bust your balls no matter what time you get. That's part of firehouse culture, often you get your balls busted even more when you're doing the right thing. It sucks for you right now because you can't say anything back, but eventually (in the firehouse) you get to do the same, and it makes it all worth it.
    bkopie likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Just don't hurt yourself. Pulling or straining something trying to do an all out sprint for a practice run before the academy would be pretty bad. If they're going to bust balls they'll bust your balls no matter what time you get. That's part of firehouse culture, often you get your balls busted even more when you're doing the right thing. It sucks for you right now because you can't say anything back, but eventually (in the firehouse) you get to do the same, and it makes it all worth it.
    You're right man. Thank you. That actually helps. This is why I love having this thread...

Thread Information