Like Tree11303Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC55 View Post
    Are there any females graduating in this class? I have my fingers cross for Jan '15! As for now it's all about training! Happy Veterans Day for all members of the military who served and are serving!!!
    I believe there are women, don't know how many.

Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    My

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember it for when my time comes. Im just relaying the messages my buddies tell me.
    I didn't think you were in this one but it's hard to keep so many usernames straight. The advice will still be applicable whenever you get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ireedmymail View Post
    Anybody want to venture out and predict when run emails will be sent out? And when the run will be?
    Soon. If you are within range be ready. Whether it's a week or a month from today just be ready, it's coming quick. At this point being ready means staying out of trouble and in good health, not trying to cram in workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    When is graduation? Since assignments are the last thing you do at the rock they should be the day before.
    I believe it is the 18th. They will likely get assignments on the 17th, though this Friday could also be a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    ... even if our class is 14 weeks, I doubt it'll be any easier than the 18 week class. If anything, they may cram ... which will actually make things more difficult for our class.

I'm not even sweating it though, just want to make it to probie school ... one step at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotchi11 View Post
    I hope that by them cutting the academy to 14 weeks will not cause them to cram everything. It's going to be hard enough adjusting to the physical demand but to have more lectures and info in a week is going to be a killer. I was looking forward the full 18 week there but also understand this helps people with higher list#s.
    It can be done in 14 weeks. Besides a month less time in probie school should be a blessing to you guys, not a curse. Remember there were several classes that did 23 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    So that first day at the fire house when you bring your dessert, what are you expected to do if you're gunna be there a few hours?
    You will meet the officer and they will get your contact information and possibly give you what you need to know about the schedule. If they can't they will tell you when to call to speak to the captain so you can sort that out. You will be introduced to everyone working and likely get a tour of the firehouse. You will be showing up around when we check the rig for the night tour so you will likely get a walk around of the rig by helping check it. If they get a run you will likely hop on. If they invite you to stay for dinner (they will) you should try and stay if you can (I will say again that I regret not doing so). If you stay for dinner ask what you can do, they may have you chop, they may say get in the sink, or they may say that for this one night you don't have to do ****. If they say don't do anything you should get into the sink until they physically remove you from it. Take it all in, this will be your home away from home and your new family for the next 5-10 or more years.

Quote Originally Posted by bk60191983 View Post
    what is admin day? filling out paperwork all day type of stuff?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    FDNY (and rescue 2) the real MVP today... breaking through WTC glass like nothin'.
    I believe R1 and Squad 18 were the primary ones on this.
    Last edited by Manhattan Medic; 11-13-2014 at 01:17 AM.
    Matador611 and BklynFDNY89 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    I believe R1 and Squad 18 were the primary ones on this.
    Yeah, you're right. I had read on Twitter it was r2.

As always, you're very helpful MM. If we ever happen to meet, I owe you about a keg by now. Same goes to FFwnt2b and FDsouthbx.
    Matador611 and BklynFDNY89 like this.

Forum Member

It can be done in 14 weeks. Besides a month less time in probie school should be a blessing to you guys, not a curse. Remember there were several classes that did 23 weeks.

You know I am not a contrarian, but was it not only one class from 2043 that was 23 weeks? For some reason, that is how I recall it. And then a few that were 13 weeks. I could be wrong though...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    You know I am not a contrarian, but was it not only one class from 2043 that was 23 weeks? For some reason, that is how I recall it. And then a few that were 13 weeks. I could be wrong though...
    There were at least 2 that were 23 weeks. At some point before that it was 13. I don't recall if it jumped from 13 to 23, or if there was a different length in between.

Forum Member

Gotcha. Whatever the case, I'm both excited and intimidated as all hell. Also need to start going to bed earlier and not staying up til 1 am posting on internet forums...

Forum Member

If there were going to be 3 classes next year, and everyone around say ... 2800 - 3400 was tentatively lined up for that 3rd class, when would that class be ?

September / October ?

Also, how soon should we expect to get started on the rest of the process ?

Forum Member

congrats to the guys and girls graduating next week. Ill say this, it is nerve racking getting to your new FH and meeting everyone, going on runs, doing the dishes. Things at the FH you get used to, its a routine, you know what you have to do as far committee work, beds, laundry, etc., that's the easy stuff. Things you need to keep up on is the studying. When you get out there, you start seeing all of the types of buildings, it's a little intimidating. I swear, the only thing I was nervous about was screwing up at a fire. I am an engine guy, but my first job was on the truck the second week in. Talk about nervous, "Don't lose the boss, stay on his ***" they tell me. Freaking LT took off like a bolt of lightning, LOL. I lost him for a few min. but found him. They said I did a good job in there, always good to here that. Keep in the books when you get out, you will always be learning on this job.

Forum Member

There were at least 2 that were 23 weeks. At some point before that it was 13. I don't recall if it jumped from 13 to 23, or if there was a different length in between.
    The academy was 13 weeks until 2006. Class 1-2007 went to 18 and class 2-07 went to 23. There were a total of three classes that were 23 weeks. There was some idea of keeping an even time frame with the NYPD and their academy. I guess parity was the buzz word of the day......you know how that goes by now, lol

To the rest of you speculating:

I have heard no talk of a 14 week academy, not through any official channels. Ignore that kind of stuff. It is what it is, right? If they told you tomorrow the academy was a year, you'd still do it right? Just get used to knowing nothing and following directions, that's the theme of the academy, so start now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDsouthbxNY View Post
    The academy was 13 weeks until 2006. Class 1-2007 went to 18 and class 2-07 went to 23. There were a total of three classes that were 23 weeks. There was some idea of keeping an even time frame with the NYPD and their academy. I guess parity was the buzz word of the day......you know how that goes by now, lol

To the rest of you speculating:

I have heard no talk of a 14 week academy, not through any official channels. Ignore that kind of stuff. It is what it is, right? If they told you tomorrow the academy was a year, you'd still do it right? Just get used to knowing nothing and following directions, that's the theme of the academy, so start now.
    This is true….do what you gotta do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    My mentor just texted me saying he just heard 14 week academy with no breaks. It's obviously all shop talk.
    Did they even get breaks with a 18 week academy lol?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matador611 View Post
    Did they even get breaks with a 18 week academy lol?
    I think he meant breaks between academies, but i can't see them rolling one in to another without a few weeks in between. Not sure how they used to run them with the longer academies. 14 week classes back to back to back would get deep through this list fast - would be nice to see
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pericnyc View Post
    I think he meant breaks between academies, but i can't see them rolling one in to another without a few weeks in between. Not sure how they used to run them with the longer academies. 14 week classes back to back to back would get deep through this list fast - would be nice to see
    oh wow thats crazy….doesnt seem feasible. i would they would give the the di's and the others some sorta break lol

Forum Member

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Matador611 View Post
    oh wow thats crazy….doesnt seem feasible. i would they would give the the di's and the others some sorta break lol
    It's not the same DIs every academy. There's one DI I know of specifically that is going back to regular duty after this class.

Forum Member

The Friday before run letters may be going out and no activity for 24hrs straight. Safe to say I'm a tad bit shocked there's been no requests for more concrete information on the forum.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    The Friday before run letters may be going out and no activity for 24hrs straight. Safe to say I'm a tad bit shocked there's been no requests for more concrete information on the forum.
    Probably because nobody really knows what's going on with it all. It's all just another step in the waiting game at this point.
    EKFCASPER likes this.

Forum Member

First time poster, been viewing posts from time to time but like many people I've been waiting since 2009, and Its quite frustrating sitting here almost 6 years later. But as numbers go correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't there been 3 classes so far, but they needed to use EMS promos and 290 priority hires? If the ems promos are done and the priority hires are done they should go through more then 700 names for this up coming class. In reality our list has consisted of 2 classes and we are at 1300 and change. With out the priority hires we should see an increase in the list numbers to hire ratio i would assume. I could be wrong, haven't been following as closely as most but my number is coming up in the near future so i figure i might as well get into the mix.

As for the 14 week academy going straight through i believe years ago they even over lapped classes after 9-11 so thats not out of the question. I also have herd from a reliable source that they plan on putting in 5 classes in the next 2 years, not sure how long each class would be but it came from pretty legit person. Could be all BS. I guess we will see when the Jan class starts but i wouldn't be surprised if they start going through numbers a lot faster.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SI91 View Post
    Probably because nobody really knows what's going on with it all. It's all just another step in the waiting game at this point.
    Just some lighthearted sarcasm. Trust me I know all too well about this waiting game unfortunately.
    SI91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sffdnyhopeful09 View Post
    I say Monday this thread is going to be flooded with viewers waiting for run letter news.
    EKFCASPER likes this.

Forum Member

historically do the run letters go out on a certain day and or time of day?? i know you get an email first and than regular mail the following few days.

Forum Member

Hey Guys, I haven’t post anything in a while, but I have been watching... I’m here sitting around the mid 14XX.
    I don’t want to contribute to the hearsay especially if the information doesn’t come to fruition, however I’m very compelled and excited to say, I spoke to my investigator today and he did confirmed that the Dept is encouraging for the CID to have a class ready for DEC 29th and for that to be possible he said run letters SHOULD be coming out next week!! He didn’t say flat out say I WILL be getting mine, however he did say my file was good and I SHOULD be expecting one. And reiterated being in good shape and I should be jogging in the cold to become familiar (so I took that as a confirmation). I didn’t extract any additional information from him in particular peculations of 3 classes per year or class length (didn’t want to seem like a gossip whore). I then wished him a happy holiday to him and his family and that was that… so keeping my finger crossed and hoping a lot of you guys in the 101% get to go into this Dec/January class as well.

Forum Member

Good luck to all the guys expecting their run letters to come. I'd say not only run in the cold but dig in to the probie manual if you haven't done so already.

Forum Member

Congrats to the guys graduating next week. Show up to your house knock with your elbows, salute etc. I remember waiting in the car before I walked into the house being so nervous but the feeling ends eventually. Everyone is sir or mam. Ask questions about the rig,house, guys, etc. Learn the order of seniority, this will be important. Either ask the guys or find the pictures, they'll most likely be in order. Within the first few weeks you'll find a guy who you'll gravitate to that you'll follow around and they'll show you the ropes. Every house has one. If 3 different people ask you to drill on the same thing 3 separate days it's always yes to each person. If someone volunteers their knowledge take it. Good luck and I hope I get a couple of you in my truck, I could use some help in the sink lol
    sffdnyhopeful09 and DannyD0pe like this.

Forum Member

I couldn't make it to the FAP last week and can't make it to the calisthenics session today (for some reason I feel guilty) can any of you guys who went today tell me how did it it go? And what workout you did today? Thanks! Congrats to the ladies and gents graduating in a few days!!!!
    bacon likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USMC55 View Post
    I couldn't make it to the FAP last week and can't make it to the calisthenics session today (for some reason I feel guilty) can any of you guys who went today tell me how did it it go? And what workout you did today? Thanks! Congrats to the ladies and gents graduating in a few days!!!!
    The next FAP is on the 22nd (next week) you didn't miss one today.

Forum Member

family day today? i know Cpat prep was cancelled today.

how was it? any videos?

Thread Information