Like Tree9583Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    Gentlemen (and ladies if there are),

I am proposing writing a letter of protest in regards to the personality portion of the exam. I'm not trying to drum undue controversy but after thinking of the fact that there is a psychological portion of the interview process, it seems a bit redundant to have a personality survey as part of the graded exam. I mean, a guy that says he exercises 20 hours a week gets a higher grade because I was honest and stated that I work out 10 hours a week. It's ridiculous to apply a grade to an opinion based survey. I'm intending on showing up at the June 5 Merit Matters meeting and bringing this concern to attention, as I would also like to protest the entire personality portion of the exam. I've wanted this for far too long to see my chances slip away because I don't possess the personality trait to lie on a personality survey. Who's with me?
    Couldn't agree more

Forum Member

Hey i have a question regarding military service and getting hired. do you think someone who doesn't have a military backround has a good shot of getting hired? or does the extra 5 points really go a long way?

also is it too late to apply for residency after you have taken the test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY2000 View Post
    Gentlemen (and ladies if there are),

I am proposing writing a letter of protest in regards to the personality portion of the exam. I'm not trying to drum undue controversy but after thinking of the fact that there is a psychological portion of the interview process, it seems a bit redundant to have a personality survey as part of the graded exam. I mean, a guy that says he exercises 20 hours a week gets a higher grade because I was honest and stated that I work out 10 hours a week. It's ridiculous to apply a grade to an opinion based survey. I'm intending on showing up at the June 5 Merit Matters meeting and bringing this concern to attention, as I would also like to protest the entire personality portion of the exam. I've wanted this for far too long to see my chances slip away because I don't possess the personality trait to lie on a personality survey. Who's with me?
    What's the deal with the merrit matters meetings? Just discussing any concerns and what not?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MZigross View Post
    Hey guys, I was on a deployment and got back the other day. Been roaming the boards the past couple pages, did you only receive your tentative results if you were present at the review/protest? or did everyone receive their scores via postal service?
    Only those who attended review sessions recieved their results, and when I say results I mean they were told which questions they got wrong not a number score but you probably know that. It doesn't appear that will get a written score and number until late summer at best.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop123 View Post
    Hey i have a question regarding military service and getting hired. do you think someone who doesn't have a military backround has a good shot of getting hired? or does the extra 5 points really go a long way?

also is it too late to apply for residency after you have taken the test?
    Who the heck knows whats going to happen with this test but in the past its as competitive as any civil service test out there, so yes every point is important. If you didn't live in the five boroughs between July 2010 - June 2011 then you don't qualify for residency. If you did then you may be able to call DCAS or PSI and have the points added.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by myles8683 View Post
    I was kinda bummed with my 2nc and 9pc. I thought I would have done a little better. Couldn't really protest my questions because they were blatantly obvious probably just a victim of psyching myself out and watching the clock. Iam hoping my 10 points will be enough to pull me through. Did anyone have exam D? If so pm me I have a question
    I had exam C and I made 2 absolutely ridiculous errors I am still shaking my head at it. I only got like 3 or 4 PCs on the rest of the exam though. Still ****ed at myself though. Top 700 on 6019 and I'm probably going to be like 30,000 on this crap.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    I had exam C and I made 2 absolutely ridiculous errors I am still shaking my head at it. I only got like 3 or 4 PCs on the rest of the exam though. Still ****ed at myself though. Top 700 on 6019 and I'm probably going to be like 30,000 on this crap.
    6 PCs on the whole exam? 30K? You're lucky if you're 42,162! =]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    6 PCs on the whole exam? 30K? You're lucky if you're 42,162! =]
    Appreciate that one.....

Forum Member

Lol, dude I'd say you'll be in top 1000 if anything. People would kill to have done as well as you, bro.
    6019- was sitting at 13xx
    2000- now sitting at 18xx

MembersZone Subscriber

For those of you considering or thinking that writing a letter a protest is a good idea: Don't.

You only have a breakdown of the answer key. You have no clue how this will be scored. Why would you protest something that you don't even know the final results?

Tests like this have been around in fire service testing for ten years now. Unfortunately, they already hold up in court. You don't want to bog down your process in any way. Leave that to the VS and JG.

Does it suck? Yes. These mini-psychs are the make-or-break of a ordinarily straight forward test.
    If you can, come to the meeting Paul Mannix is having June 5th to voice your concern and unite as a group.
    My1Goal likes this.

Forum Member

Yeah - 2 NC and 3 or 4 PC, plus residency… I wouldn't be too upset if I were you. In fact, that's precisely what I got and I'm not too upset. Assuming for the moment that they score this like they did 6019, those results would yield you a score well above 100. Let's see how it shakes out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nycthirteen View Post
    Yeah - 2 NC and 3 or 4 PC, plus residency… I wouldn't be too upset if I were you. In fact, that's precisely what I got and I'm not too upset. Assuming for the moment that they score this like they did 6019, those results would yield you a score well above 100. Let's see how it shakes out.
    Very true - guess getting down or too high after seeing those results prob isn't good until we see the final results.

Forum Member

Very true - guess getting down or too high after seeing those results prob isn't good until we see the final results.
    I got two NC (protested one) and 6 PC on the personality section (protested one) plus residency and I'm not stressing like you are. On this thread and on other message boards, us guys that scored in single digits on the personality section are in the minority. Most people seem to be in the teens when it comes to partial credit in the personality section.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I got two NC (protested one) and 6 PC on the personality section (protested one) plus residency and I'm not stressing like you are. On this thread and on other message boards, us guys that scored in single digits on the personality section are in the minority. Most people seem to be in the teens when it comes to partial credit in the personality section.
    Yeah I think it's the NCs that got me a little nervous pervis. I actually went into the review saying I ****in dominated it so I was a bit bummed to make 2 ridiculous mistakes.

Forum Member

Yeah I think it's the NCs that got me a little nervous pervis. I actually went into the review saying I ****in dominated it so I was a bit bummed to make 2 ridiculous mistakes.
    I know the feeling, I'm hoping the one I protested get overturned or thrown out or whatever the procedure is but the other one I got wrong was just a stupid mistake on my part. I saw what I did wrong and didn't even bother look into protesting it.

Forum Member

Well although I so far "aced" the first 4 parts, those 8 PC on the personality is freaking me out.. Thank god for residency credit maybe I can make up those points with that.

Forum Member

You guys with the handfulls of PC can probably calm down. As people have already said nobody knows how this test will be scored. Also it doesn't appear we will have many 100% scores on this test. Probably 98 or 99%. If all of us who studied our butts off got 4-10 partial credits and 1 or 2 wrong what do you think the 50% who didn't really care that much about the test got?
    MFES and River6019 like this.

Forum Member

I'm actually worried that I look, "too good" now. I have to quit checking these boards lol
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    You guys with the handfulls of PC can probably calm down. As people have already said nobody knows how this test will be scored. Also it doesn't appear we will have many 100% scores on this test. Probably 98 or 99%. If all of us who studied our butts off got 4-10 partial credits and 1 or 2 wrong what do you think the 50% who didn't really care that much about the test got?
    I know what your saying but quite honestly what scares me is that it doesn't really take any kind of knowledge or skill to ace the personality test and in a way from the study materials that we all had we were guided a bit wrong which it said not to "oversell yourself". Now you have your average joe who didn't study and is in there taking a test and making himself sound like te superman of all employees and he's the one acing it. See where I'm going with this? Lol

Forum Member

I see where you're going but we don't know which "type" of personality for which they are looking. They can add a different weight to each personality partial credit. It says partial credit. It doesn't say how much partial credit. They may want a guy who scored mid-range.
    kd44 and SmokeShowing307 like this.
    Test: 2000
    Score: 98
    List Number: 60**

Forum Member

Lol anxiety is killing me. I don't remember being even close to as nervous as I am now waiting for my results for NYPD almost a year ago. I'm going to need to stop looking at these forums for a while just like you FD lol
    Last edited by Jukez; 05-21-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Forum Member

Yes I do hear what your saying but we all doubt those who basically bs'ed the personality score for those perfect or near perfect scores will be what they are looking for. Trust me I will be beside myself if they come out and say yes we want the guys who claim to have NEVER told a lie before or that I was punished because I didn't help any coworkers out last month because I am unemployed. I think alot of questions are gonna be used for reference more than anything else.
    kd44 and SmokeShowing307 like this.

Forum Member

Well a friend of mine came out his protest and told me some guy came out tearing. I guess we not in as bad shape as he is???

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Well a friend of mine came out his protest and told me some guy came out tearing. I guess we not in as bad shape as he is???
    I guessing not either, they were at least 3 people flipping out at some point during my review session and a handful left within 5 minutes seemingly angry. These are probably not the people on this forum posting 1NC 8PC results.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    tears of joy

Thread Information