Like Tree10417Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    People keep mentioning drop outs so I know it actually occurs, however i cannot think of a good reason as to why anyone would drop out of the academy.

Can we compile a list of reasons as to why people have dropped out of the academy ? Things you've heard or seen ... or is the main reason physical fitness and just not being able to perform thru the training ?

To go through this entire process, wait your turn, actually get to the academy and drop out ... just sounds mind boggling to me.
    Not to be coarse, but maybe the prospect of running into a burning building with zero visibility is much less scary than when you're actually doing it? We won't know until we do.
    EKFCASPER, bkopie and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by POLGVB View Post
    Congrats on those receiving run letters. So it looks like so far only up to 1470 received emails. Let's see today around 5 for some more ; )

Also when is the last cpat day for those up to 3200.. I'm wondering when will they contact more candidates to fill in those who did not show up/pass the cpat.
    I wouldn't think so. We did the CPAT training at The Rock for about 2 months prior to our DCAS orientation and three dates. I think they would have to give the other people above 3200 the same opportunity. I was in this round of CPAT testing and passed on my first try as well. On our notices from DCAS stated this was round #5, so if round #6's training at The Rock will begin shortly after Thanksgiving, they would have CPAT dates sometime late January, early Feb.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Not to be coarse, but maybe the prospect of running into a burning building with zero visibility is much less scary than when you're actually doing it? We won't know until we do.
    Good reason. Thanks ...

so ...

1. The job just isn't for you as an individual.
    2. ?
    3. ?

... any others ?

Forum Member

People keep mentioning drop outs so I know it actually occurs, however i cannot think of a good reason as to why anyone would drop out of the academy.

Can we compile a list of reasons as to why people have dropped out of the academy ? Things you've heard or seen ... or is the main reason physical fitness and just not being able to perform thru the training ?

To go through this entire process, wait your turn, actually get to the academy and drop out ... just sounds mind boggling to me.

The truth is, none of us know what it's like day to day in there. I for one would never sit here and claim it could never happen to me because I'm such a beast. Could happen the third day for all I know. Would push myself harder than imagineable before that happens, but you never know. It's also been known to happen that they stop you if it looks like you're dying and send you to BHS. And then too much time was missed due to tests and the such that you have to end up recycling. So keep that in mind.
    EKFCASPER likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    The truth is, none of us know what it's like day to day in there. I for one would never sit here and claim it could never happen to me because I'm such a beast. Could happen the third day for all I know. Would push myself harder than imagineable before that happens, but you never know. It's also been known to happen that they stop you if it looks like you're dying and send you to BHS. And then too much time was missed due to tests and the such that you have to end up recycling. So keep that in mind.
    Its definitely far from a cakewalk ... I think we're all in agreement there.

The scenario you present falls under " arriving to the academy physically unfit " ... which i feel may be the main reason why candidates fall off.

Anything else that we can think of ? Maybe if we can collectively paint a clearer picture as to the pitfalls of the academy, we'll all be better prepared.

Forum Member

Its definitely far from a cakewalk ... I think we're all in agreement there.

The scenario you present falls under " arriving to the academy physically unfit " ... which i feel may be the main reason why candidates fall off.

Anything else that we can think of ? Maybe if we can collectively paint a clearer picture as to the pitfalls of the academy, we'll all be better prepared.
    It's different for everybody. It's essentially bootcamp. Some people don't like the setting, some people aren't in good enough shape and quickly realize they can't handle it physically, others have a change of heart once they start doing the hands on stuff. The real deal isn't like whatever is on TV or in the movies. Regardless, the academy is designed to test you in a number of ways. They try to make people crack (to a degree). If you have any doubt in your mind while there the goal is to overcome that or get out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    It's different for everybody. It's essentially bootcamp. Some people don't like the setting, some people aren't in good enough shape and quickly realize they can't handle it physically, others have a change of heart once they start doing the hands on stuff. The real deal isn't like whatever is on TV or in the movies. Regardless, the academy is designed to test you in a number of ways. They try to make people crack (to a degree). If you have any doubt in your mind while there the goal is to overcome that or get out.
    Thanks MM ... always appreciative of your knowledge / experience.
    Matador611 and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    My friend that just graduated said it was hard and he is in great shape. He said the kid that won the fitness award was going thru the workouts with difficulty and he set some sorta record lol.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matador611 View Post
    My friend that just graduated said it was hard and he is in great shape. He said the kid that won the fitness award was going thru the workouts with difficulty and he set some sorta record lol.
    I guess it is different for everybody ... just from the graduation pics and other photos of the class during probie school, not everyone looks like they're in phenomenal shape. It'd definitely be difficult to point out anyone who is grossly overweight, but not many jump out at you either as someone who is in tip top shape. I visited for family day as well and did see some monsters, but also some regular people who aren't setting records in there ... just regular people who did what they had to do and graduated.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Our only focus thus far have been the physical rigors of the academy ... the academics also plays a large role and people may fail out due to just not being able to keep up with the studying and the quizzes / tests.
    Last edited by Gomer Pyle; Today at 02:29 PM.

Forum Member

Prob a silly question.....but has anyone who's received a run email used 2 different email addresses during the process? The reason I ask is because I used my work one for investigator correspondence and my 1997 aol account for those fdny newsletters everyone receives. Obviously can check both just curious if anyone else did this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Prob a silly question.....but has anyone who's received a run email used 2 different email addresses during the process? The reason I ask is because I used my work one for investigator correspondence and my 1997 aol account for those fdny newsletters everyone receives. Obviously can check both just curious if anyone else did this.
    Not a silly question at all, I went through the exact same situation. I received my run letter yesterday from the same email address i get my fdny newsletters/updates. It was within spam. Did not even notice it until i read the forum this morning.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Techcafiend View Post
    Not a silly question at all, I went through the exact same situation. I received my run letter yesterday from the same email address i get my fdny newsletters/updates. It was within spam. Did not even notice it until i read the forum this morning.
    Son of a.....

Thanks for the quick response man. I pray to God I never meet the person who's inputting my name and email address in for this letter. The level of embarrassment would be unreal.
    mocon337 and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Techcafiend View Post
    Are u in the 1400s ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    Are u in the 1400s ?
    Yes, lower 1400's.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

So it looks like run letters are being sent out at the end of the day 5 PM I guess?

Forum Member

Yes, received mine a few minutes after 5 PM
    NYCTraditions likes this.

Forum Member

Son of a.....

Thanks for the quick response man. I pray to God I never meet the person who's inputting my name and email address in for this letter. The level of embarrassment would be unreal.
    Dude I hear you. My AOL account alluded to my early-2000's social status as a "BaLLeRRR"...
    vekdoggs75, bkopie and bklynmike91 like this.

Forum Member

Son of a.....

I have the most immature aol email. I use a different one professionally.
    vekdoggs75 likes this.

Forum Member

could we change the email? I get my FDNY stuff from an old college one, sometimes they send it to my other one but im not sure why. I tried to switch via snail mail to DCAS but I guess they did not change it..

Forum Member

Son of a.....

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    Dude I hear you. My AOL account alluded to my early-2000's social status as a "BaLLeRRR"...
    Hahaha. My main AOL email was just my initials + "man" + my birth year. But my "cool" name changed every so often. I think the most embarrassing one I had was LiMpSk8rPuNk. That lasted like a week before I realized Limp probably isn't a good way to describe someone (meant to mean Limp Bizkit).

The joys of being 12 with AOL.......

Thread Information