Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Like Tree9159Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Here's a dumb question- when you're called to the academy are you ensured a job? I'm assuming many people have to quit their jobs to attend the academy so my question is what happens if you fail the academy?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJFirefighter311 View Post
    Here's a dumb question- when you're called to the academy are you ensured a job? I'm assuming many people have to quit their jobs to attend the academy so my question is what happens if you fail the academy?
    My initial response is to say that failure should not be an option. Perhaps though that's simply from my experience at various military courses (some more rigorous than others). I look at it like this only two ways off The Rock: either I march across the stage at graduation or they drag my cold dead body off the training grounds. That being said planning for contingencies is always benifical. If you have vacation time left maybe save it and do not quit your prior job, maybe take a leave of absence. The advice of not burning bridges shouldn't have to be restated but I just did. It's a legimate concern. I am not trying to belittle it, but it's a risk that is taken. The truth is there is no shame in trying something and discovering it's not for you. Just do not plan on failure. You will be fine.
    Ladders 4 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NJFirefighter311 View Post
    Don't burn any bridges because it's not guaranteed. You might realize it's not for you or it's nothing like you imagined so you want the option of going back if it's available. Most guys quit the first couple weeks, others after certain evolutions or when we first do fst, then some who will just not make it because their grades are too low. What I'm trying to say is the Academy is no cake walk leave your old job on good terms

Forum Member

1 probie down, another this week. Hope all your weeks went well, you only saw a tidbit of it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Don't burn any bridges because it's not guaranteed. You might realize it's not for you or it's nothing like you imagined so you want the option of going back if it's available. Most guys quit the first couple weeks, others after certain evolutions or when we first do fst, then some who will just not make it because their grades are too low. What I'm trying to say is the Academy is no cake walk leave your old job on good terms

Do they just quit out of laziness and intimidation or is it just too late to adjust physically for whatever is happening in time?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Do they just quit out of laziness and intimidation or is it just too late to adjust physically for whatever is happening in time?
    Lots of different reasons why people quit. The smoke house always gets a few guys. Mask confidence is a little weird at first also. Not many people like the feeling of being completely blacked out and working through an obstacle course. And the physical demand can be overwhelming for some people. If you want this job you can push yourself through. If you're on the fence it would be VERY easy to ring that bell, that's for sure.

Forum Member

Thanks for the response. So are we officially at three classes or is that up in in the air still.

Forum Member

Thanks for the response. So are we officially at three classes or is that up in in the air still.
    Just got off the phone with my mentor. I'm in the 1500's. He said no to 3 classes a year in so far as he knows. I heard the same thing at the mentee meeting at the Rock. He also seemed to think as do I that I'm most likely in the Jan class. Come on January - fel like I have been waiting so long.

Forum Member

Thanks bro, I hope he is wrong.

Forum Member

Thanks bro, I hope he is wrong.
    You and me both buddy, you and me both... I'll let you know if I hear anything different.

Forum Member

We will get a lot more info when july hits. Its a new group for the academy and new packets going out. Yea It sucks waiting.Im at 46**, I'm scared that ems guys and other factors will knock me out of the running!

Forum Member

Some people they're too far behind physically to "tough it out." I have one in my squad who is trying to tough it out and its just not working. Mtk you know who I'm talking
    Mtk123 likes this.

Questions for guys OTJ, I have two years OTJ as a NYPD Police Officer, I'm seriously considering switching over just passed the CPAT last month. Does anyone know if my Tier carries over?? I'm in Tier 3 22 years to retire full pension or 25 years for the COLA, I know the pass scale goes back to bottom pay (thank you Ray Kelly!!!) and I know my years are pensionable on the front. If anyone has any more info on prior city time transferring over it would be greatly appreciated. Also OT with the FDNY, I'm currently averaging 20-30 hours of OT a month in the Winter months and with the summer coming probably close to 40 hours a month, is OT as a new probie fresh off the rock as prevalent as it is in the PD??? Thanks again and good luck to all future FF'S
    FDNY Exam 2000
    Score:101

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNeptune View Post
    Questions for guys OTJ, I have two years OTJ as a NYPD Police Officer, I'm seriously considering switching over just passed the CPAT last month. Does anyone know if my Tier carries over?? I'm in Tier 3 22 years to retire full pension or 25 years for the COLA, I know the pass scale goes back to bottom pay (thank you Ray Kelly!!!) and I know my years are pensionable on the front. If anyone has any more info on prior city time transferring over it would be greatly appreciated. Also OT with the FDNY, I'm currently averaging 20-30 hours of OT a month in the Winter months and with the summer coming probably close to 40 hours a month, is OT as a new probie fresh off the rock as prevalent as it is in the PD??? Thanks again and good luck to all future FF'S
    Your tier should stay the same, it's from when you enter the city retirement system
    Exam: 2000
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfNeptune View Post
    Tier 3 and OT questions
    While I did not transfer from NYPD I am tier 3 so I believe all information is still applicable. Technically when you start as a firefighter you will become tier 3 modified by 6 (just going to say tier 6 to save time). You're in tier 6 until you elect to transfer your time & $ from PD, at which point you will return to tier 3 (anybody who is in PD long enough to be tier 2 will convert back to tier 2 at this point). Our pension people will come and talk to you in the academy and explain all that and have you do the paperwork during the academy.

I don't know that your tier 3 time in PD will count up front… or at all. My EMS time does not count up front or on the back end. The only thing it counts for is to get to the 5 year mark in the pension system and become vested, so that if I died off the job my family would get something from the pension system. I think you may be in the same boat. The good news is these things can change. When tier 2 was new it was seen as a real step down from tier 1, and now it's seen as pretty damn good.

Tier 3 will probably get changed at some point to get closer to tier 2. The recent fire in Coney Island that hurt those 2 cops will force the discussion of it. PO Rodriguez is tier 3 and likely never going full duty again, so the unions finally have some ammunition for why tier 3 disability/LODD benefits need to be improved.

As far as OT goes: Depending on when you get hired it may still be around. Everyone says the goal of the department is to fill the ranks and get back to how it was 5-6 years ago where there was pretty much 0 OT. For the time being it's good, very good. I'm not sure how long they'll go before they let new guys do any, it all depends. For my class they waited a bit because it'd been so long without probies it's like the job forgot how to deal with them. Now that we're back into the swing of things it probably won't be such a big deal. How much OT is available varies from battalion to battalion. In mine we need bodies pretty much every tour. Don't count on it being there though.

Forum Member

The 3 academies a year are just a proposed budget, if you look back at the last 2 budget proposals they also tried for 3 classes a year
    List: 7xx
    Intake: 9/26
    Psych: 10/11
    Medical: 10/22
    Oral psych 11/04
    Cpat 11/04

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by grok350 View Post
    Some people they're too far behind physically to "tough it out." I have one in my squad who is trying to tough it out and its just not working. Mtk you know who I'm talking
    If you don't mind me asking, how are they "toughing" it and failing to meet the physical standards?
    List#: 15XX
    Intake: 01/24/2014
    Medical: 02/14/2014
    CPAT: 03/26/2014
    Psych: 4/12/2014

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dem7191 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how are they "toughing" it and failing to meet the physical standards?
    Probably talking FST and some PT sessions. You have to pass FST to graduate.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dem7191 View Post
    They showed up unprepared. For a while you can make it if you have willpower, but eventually injury and the long term stress of the academy take it's toll. You still need willpower, but if you aren't physically fit enough eventually you may not be able to hack it any more.

I was so banged up by the end that after any run we did I could barely walk.

Forum Member

MM and Ffwnt2b,

Thanks for replying! This has what I have been doing 3-4 times a week:

The 4 sets of the following
    30push-ups (first set, 20 the 2nd, 15 3rd, 15 4th)
    1 min plank,
    20 bicep curls with 25lbs
    30lunges
    20 tricep press with 25lbs
    30 squats
    15 shoulder press with 25lbs
    30 sitsups
    1min break

After that I do
    Same set, do 15 push-ups and use 10lbs and do 50 bicep curls, and 30 tricep and shoulder press

And run on the in between days 4-5 miles at 845 pace and sometime after the set as well.

Is this an efficient way to be somewhere in the ballpark to be prepared for probie school?
    Last edited by dem7191; 05-03-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    List#: 15XX
    Intake: 01/24/2014
    Medical: 02/14/2014
    CPAT: 03/26/2014
    Psych: 4/12/2014

Thread Information