Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Like Tree9172Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #21161
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    217

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JDNY13 View Post
    Haha yea I hope you make it in, handful of numbers between me and the last list # reached. It sucked but at least I knew I'd be at the top of this class list
    Thanks bro. You and me both. It's time to get this show on the road.


  2. #21162
    Forum Member Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Question for academy guys. Im a veteran and i want to know if you have a choice to be a squad leader or do they make you do it. Im 33 and its been 8 years since active duty so i kinda lost it ya know. Do you volunteer for squad position or are you "VolunTOLD"?
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  3. #21163
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod16 View Post
    my advice for guys going into the academy is same as a lot of other people have said. I didnt really it take it serious before going in and I was eating like **** and was chunky. Then we starting doing PT and that was rough but it was nothing compared to FST. guys really make sure you push yourself the hardest you can working out and have a good diet. Make sure you read up on the manual at least a few times so that when you do things at the academy you will have a step up on those who didnt and also will help you do the evolutions. I struggled a lot especially with Ropes so I would see if you could get someone to get you to help you with all the knots you have to know . this has def been the hardest thing I have ever done and im so excited to start working and learning. anyone who has questions feel free to send me private messages and ill try to help if I get a chance. good luck everyone
    What's up Mr. Phoenix?...

  4. #21164
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Question for academy guys. Im a veteran and i want to know if you have a choice to be a squad leader or do they make you do it. Im 33 and its been 8 years since active duty so i kinda lost it ya know. Do you volunteer for squad position or are you "VolunTOLD"?
    They ask for all veterans to come up and then they talk to the group. Pretty sure they do look for volunteers. My class did not have that many vets so most were put to use as squad leaders. I imagine OC classes will have a lot more so they may be more choosy or not very forceful with it. If asked I'd say you should go for it. You'll get back into that routine in no time.

  5. #21165
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeNoVowel View Post
    Hey everyone, impatiently waiting for my run letter! So my GF just took a job in Philly so we aren't resigning our lease for July 1st. I'm trying to decide if I should take a free place to stay all the way up by the Tappan Zee or get my own place in queens or somewhere close to the rock??

    I'd definitely be down with getting a place with 1 or 2 other Candadites after we get our run letters.

    Anyone interest or have comments/advice??
    I would def be interested but I am looking into January 2015 class. I will need a place close to the academy by then because I am living in Long Island now and there's no way I am making that commute every day.

  6. #21166
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Just spoke to my investigator. Residency is CLEARED. She said that run letters will be going out within the next week or two and that i should keep an eye on my email. ITS ON!
    I was really hoping for letters to start going out tomorrow, the anticipation of the letter feels like when I was a kid waiting for Christmas lol.
    JDNY13 likes this.

  7. #21167
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFromQueens View Post
    I was really hoping for letters to start going out tomorrow, the anticipation of the letter feels like when I was a kid waiting for Christmas lol.
    I still don't know if I buy the June 16-18th run dates. Seems odd to have the run a full month before the academy starts. But sooner the better I guess.
    List # 12XX

  8. #21168
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    I still don't know if I buy the June 16-18th run dates. Seems odd to have the run a full month before the academy starts. But sooner the better I guess.
    To me it makes sense. Allows them enough time to fill spots for people who fail or defer. Didn't they scramble last minute last time around

  9. #21169
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    To me it makes sense. Allows them enough time to fill spots for people who fail or defer. Didn't they scramble last minute last time around
    True, and its not like running 1.5 in under 13 minutes is any indication you are in shape anyway. More of an effort hurdle or pulse checker.
    List # 12XX

  10. #21170
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    To me it makes sense. Allows them enough time to fill spots for people who fail or defer. Didn't they scramble last minute last time around
    Your right, it makes sense- that's why I do to believe it either haha

    Just playing, enough people are saying it and the investigators are hinting at it so I guess I believe it, but I am a little surprised being as it's different then in the past. I hope those letters go out early next week!

    And on that note, for the guys who said they just spoke to their investigators- did the investigators mean this week, as in this Friday or Saturday, or did them mean this week coming up?

  11. #21171
    Forum Member Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JoeNoVowel View Post
    Thanks for the input, I will be getting the GI BILL so will be living the high life lol. However, you're right and carpooling is a great saver too. I was just stressing about the ride back since I would if been 10 min away. Thanks!!
    You can say that again. No way i'd be able to survive the first 2 years without that G.I Bill. $3,200/month ON TOP of base salary???? Gonna be doin a lot more than just "getting by". Needless to say the wife is very excited about that. I dont even think she cares about the torture im gonna have to go thru; just bring home the god*amn check.
    JoeNoVowel likes this.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  12. #21172
    Forum Member Spiderneck30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Your right, it makes sense- that's why I do to believe it either haha

    Just playing, enough people are saying it and the investigators are hinting at it so I guess I believe it, but I am a little surprised being as it's different then in the past. I hope those letters go out early next week!

    And on that note, for the guys who said they just spoke to their investigators- did the investigators mean this week, as in this Friday or Saturday, or did them mean this week coming up?
    Not sure actually. I just spoke to her around lunch time today. She said within the "next week or two" but it definitely didnt sound like a "tomorrow @ 4pm" thing to me. Id say anytime starting next week monday.
    EXAM 2000
    LIST 56*
    SCORE 103

  13. #21173
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Question for academy guys. Im a veteran and i want to know if you have a choice to be a squad leader or do they make you do it. Im 33 and its been 8 years since active duty so i kinda lost it ya know. Do you volunteer for squad position or are you "VolunTOLD"?
    They call all vets into a room and offer squad leader positions based on military rank but it is completely voluntary. Rumor was squad leaders pick their house but ended up that they pick battalions. Everyone else picks their division with a back up division.

  14. #21174
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fd2000ny View Post
    They call all vets into a room and offer squad leader positions based on military rank but it is completely voluntary. Rumor was squad leaders pick their house but ended up that they pick battalions. Everyone else picks their division with a back up division.
    I got the impression that the academy staff won't outright promise a specific house to squad leaders, but I think they do ask what one they'd like. I know my squad leader got the house he wanted, and I can think of a few others in my class that I'm pretty sure got sent to the exact place they asked for.

  15. #21175
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Best of luck to all you guys. I haven't had time to be on this thread since I went in in January but it was the best tool out there to get information. If anybody just misses the run letter, stay on top of your investigators! Last class called 5 guys to do the run the day before the academy started so u never know. Besides that, main thing you can do is run! A lot of guys get hurt early on Bc they aren't used to the running. The 1.5 mile in 13 is only a warm up. Spend the $ on good shoes right away, it makes a huge difference. Show up at LEAST one hour early or u r late! You don't want to be singled out off the bat. Dress in a suit ironed perfectly and shave your face AND head!

  16. #21176
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderneck30 View Post
    Not sure actually. I just spoke to her around lunch time today. She said within the "next week or two" but it definitely didnt sound like a "tomorrow @ 4pm" thing to me. Id say anytime starting next week monday.
    Gotcha.. So what about tomorrow at 5pm? Any chance? Lol
    Spiderneck30 likes this.

  17. #21177
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fd2000ny View Post
    Best of luck to all you guys. I haven't had time to be on this thread since I went in in January but it was the best tool out there to get information. If anybody just misses the run letter, stay on top of your investigators! Last class called 5 guys to do the run the day before the academy started so u never know. Besides that, main thing you can do is run! A lot of guys get hurt early on Bc they aren't used to the running. The 1.5 mile in 13 is only a warm up. Spend the $ on good shoes right away, it makes a huge difference. Show up at LEAST one hour early or u r late! You don't want to be singled out off the bat. Dress in a suit ironed perfectly and shave your face AND head!
    I know it's not an actual rule but are you guys actually shaving your head with a razor or can you just use a pair of clippers?
    Score: 102
    List#: 11xx
    Intake Interview: Oct 29, 2013
    CPAT: Nov 9, 2013
    Psych: Jan 25, 2014
    Med: Jan 29, 2014
    Run Letter: June 18, 2014
    Run Date: June 25, 2014
    Academy Start Date: July 14, 2014

  18. #21178
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grizzle View Post
    I know it's not an actual rule but are you guys actually shaving your head with a razor or can you just use a pair of clippers?
    Clippers with a zero is more than enough.

  19. #21179
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    573

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    Clippers with a zero is more than enough.
    Might be a dumb question, and I know it may be different for everyone, but how often? Everyday?

  20. #21180
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NycQ83 View Post
    Might be a dumb question, and I know it may be different for everyone, but how often? Everyday?
    Every weekend.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts