Like Tree11346Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #26976
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I think it will be similar to the last class ratio at this point.

    However, I think as the list gets higher the more people will accept and the ratio goes down. What am I basing this on? Remember, this is pure speculation and probably won't hold true but to me it makes a little sense.

    I think people who scored higher on the written have other alternatives, possibly better than the FDNY. As the list gets higher and scores are lower these people may not have as many good alternatives. This of course assumes that smarter people scored higher on the test which may not be the case when comparing 100-98 score.

    I have noticed that other people who I know personally who scored higher on the test seemed to be smarter and/or better at preparation than people who scored lower. Smarter and people who prepare better usually have better alternatives.

    The other issue is people who scored higher may also have gotten points from being in the military, these people are more likely to defer because of this.

    Another issue is people are more likely to defer right now as they have plenty of time to get back on the list before 2016 or 2017 when the list ends. I know I wouldn't even consider deferring if I didn't have plenty of time left. As the list goes higher, all the people who deferred are going to have to get back on the list also.

    So unless any of you have a better reason why the list ratio will increase, it will actually go lower in my opinion as the list gets higher.

    To sum it up:

    People who scored lower on the test do not have better alternatives and are more likely to join the FDNY
    Less people will defer as the list gets older
    People who deferred will start asking to get back on the list
    Less military people will defer
    This is actually well thought out and I can understand where you are coming from, but here is my take. This is also strictly speculation and may or may not come true.

    I believe that as the list keeps moving the ratio will get bigger because of the time that has passed since we took the exam and more people either got tired of or could not afford to wait anymore and had to take jobs elsewhere. For example, if since you took the exam, you put 5 years on with PD and you can not afford to take that hit in the paycheck and go back to the beggining, then you will have to stay with PD.

    Also, I would think that those that did very well are the ones who put in the most effort into studying and preparing for the exam therefore they are the ones who will most likely take the job. Before I get attacked... I do understand that there were probably people who prepared a lot and unfortunately did not do as well as they would have liked AND there were people who did not put much effort in at all and did very well, but that's just how things turn out sometimes.

    On the opposite side if that, those that did not do as well, may have been the people who took all of the city tests "just in-case," or their father was on the job and their father told them to take it and didn't really care how they did.

    To recap:
    Those that scored highest, on average put in the most effort and are more likely to take the job.

    As the list moves on, more time passes and people must take advantage of other opportunities.

    Those who scored lower did not really care how they did, they just took the test as a backup plan.

    *This is not me attacking your ideas or anything like that. This was just my take and looking at the opposite side of the spectrum when compared to yours.

  2. #26977
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BD1017 View Post
    Welcome back dude, A page back or so K20 confirmed some of the numbers the list is at right now, and the highest number contacted for anything was 3338.. Although there's a lot of guys getting packets and intakes, We'll
    probably be in the next group of CPAT dates.. Bad thing is that it's hard to tell when, but I'm guessing it will be sometime between the end of intake dates(Februaryish) and the summer time?.. I wouldn't bet the farm on that guess either.. Ill be out of town for a couple months, so I too wish there
    was a better way to find out when...
    36XX


    In 34xx. Let's hope soon boys!!

  3. #26978
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    The amount of classes is going to be the largest determining factor in how far down the list goes IMHO. Still don't know what they're deal is with that and why they are keeping it such a secret.
    Last edited by BrooklynBorn; Yesterday at 12:23 PM.

  4. #26979
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSNY2FDNY View Post
    Leave work 2 hours early to go to the SS office to get the earnings statement, after calling and checking online to make sure they are open, to which both sources said yes. Only to show up to a closed office. No clue when I'm gonna get there, with these holiday weeks their already short hours are all screwed up, and I can't take off work that easily. Feeling pretty fustrated right now.
    Make sure you go to the one in downtown Brooklyn assuming you are from Brooklyn. I had a friend go to one of the other ones only to find out it doesn't exist anymore.

  5. #26980
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    559

    Default

    guys these three references I just typed them up and bringing them with my packet. are we supposed to turn those in or we just copy the info and fill it out?

    if we are handing it in ill put my social and name on it.

  6. #26981
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    guys these three references I just typed them up and bringing them with my packet. are we supposed to turn those in or we just copy the info and fill it out?

    if we are handing it in ill put my social and name on it.
    I did both I had them make a copy of one that I made with my 3 refrences and my name on it, and Then I just used it to copy the info onto the actual forms that they give you to fill out that get sent to your refrences.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

  7. #26982
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    559

    Default

    do we need our draft cards? or drivers abstract? i had an out of state license. i can't believe it. beside one transcript i don't think I am missing anything. see you guys monday!

  8. #26983
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer Pyle View Post
    Mr. Silent,

    When people refer to getting on this job, that it's like " winning the lottery " they're not exactly citing the compensation ...
    Well, getting a good list number isn't like winning the lottery either, as the most competent get the best grades. You earn a good list number.

  9. #26984
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBravest View Post
    Not everything can be weighed in dollar signs.

    Doesn't sound like this job is for you.
    It can be when you can't afford a mortgage living in the city you work for.

  10. #26985
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Goodluck monday fellas.. as the jealousy runs through my veins I wish you all luck, stay safe you lucky bastudsss

  11. #26986
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    It can be when you can't afford a mortgage living in the city you work for.
    This forum is for candidates that want to become New York city firefighters. This isn't for general career advice. Sounds like you're on the wrong blog. Try reading what color is your parachute or similar titles. Good luck on your career search.

  12. #26987
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    It can be when you can't afford a mortgage living in the city you work for.
    Those who gets in, thinks twice before getting out. Those who think its another job will not make it to the end. If this to you, is just another job, it will not be for you. There are greater risks out there than to be compensated for by salary.

  13. #26988
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Britches View Post
    This is actually well thought out and I can understand where you are coming from, but here is my take. This is also strictly speculation and may or may not come true.

    I believe that as the list keeps moving the ratio will get bigger because of the time that has passed since we took the exam and more people either got tired of or could not afford to wait anymore and had to take jobs elsewhere. For example, if since you took the exam, you put 5 years on with PD and you can not afford to take that hit in the paycheck and go back to the beggining, then you will have to stay with PD.

    Also, I would think that those that did very well are the ones who put in the most effort into studying and preparing for the exam therefore they are the ones who will most likely take the job. Before I get attacked... I do understand that there were probably people who prepared a lot and unfortunately did not do as well as they would have liked AND there were people who did not put much effort in at all and did very well, but that's just how things turn out sometimes.

    On the opposite side if that, those that did not do as well, may have been the people who took all of the city tests "just in-case," or their father was on the job and their father told them to take it and didn't really care how they did.

    To recap:
    Those that scored highest, on average put in the most effort and are more likely to take the job.

    As the list moves on, more time passes and people must take advantage of other opportunities.

    Those who scored lower did not really care how they did, they just took the test as a backup plan.

    *This is not me attacking your ideas or anything like that. This was just my take and looking at the opposite side of the spectrum when compared to yours.

    That's a good point that the longer the list goes on, people will find other alternatives and will not join. I agree with that to an extent, however, knowing how difficult it is out in the private work force most people won't find a better alternative.

    Because of the high paying benefits of the FDNY, which would be similar to saving millions of dollars over the course of your private employment, you are really better off taking the FDNY when compared to most private jobs. I think most people are too young to be in a private job that would pay better than the FDNY when taking into account the benefits.

    I'll also say this, when I went to the rock and saw the people at the practice session a few months back, most people didn't look very academic. Nothing that you would see at a university (well maybe a city college). I think most people who have better alternatives never took the FDNY test. I didn't take the FDNY test years back because I considered the job beneath me. However, when I got older and actually calculated the salary, work hours, and lifestyle benefits, you can't beat the FDNY job unless you were a doctor or a very good Lawyer, or will take over a family business.

    The other big factor is if you are smart you have to calculate that you will easily make chief rank on the FDNY and they get paid a lot of money. You really have to take this into account. It will be interesting how these higher ranks will work out now that the FDNY is drawing smarter people into it, it may be very competitive, just like this OC test is.

    It will be interesting to see. Most likely it will stay close to the last list, about 570 candidates. I will still lean towards it being lower.

    BTW. I think the police can switch to the FDNY and keep the years on the job and salary rate.
    Last edited by SirEd; Yesterday at 09:29 PM.

  14. #26989
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    That's a good point that the longer the list goes on, people will find other alternatives and will not join. I agree with that to an extent, however, knowing how difficult it is out in the private work force most people won't find a better alternative.

    Because of the high paying benefits of the FDNY, which would be similar to saving millions of dollars over the course of your private employment, you are really better off taking the FDNY when compared to most private jobs. I think most people are too young to be in a private job that would pay better than the FDNY when taking into account the benefits.

    I'll also say this, when I went to the rock and saw the people at the practice session a few months back, most people didn't look very academic. Nothing that you would see at a university (well maybe a city college). I think most people who have better alternatives never took the FDNY test. I didn't take the FDNY test years back because I considered the job beneath me. However, when I got older and actually calculated the salary, work hours, and lifestyle benefits, you can't beat the FDNY job unless you were a doctor or a very good Lawyer, or will take over a family business.

    The other big factor is if you are smart you have to calculate that you will easily make chief rank on the FDNY and they get paid a lot of money. You really have to take this into account. It will be interesting how these higher ranks will work out now that the FDNY is drawing smarter people into it, it may be very competitive, just like this OC test is.

    It will be interesting to see. Most likely it will stay close to the last list, about 570 candidates. I will still lean towards it being lower.

    BTW. I think the police can switch to the FDNY and keep the years on the job and salary rate.

    Ur entitled to your opinions but please don't try to get on the job and say that this job is beneath you. This job is not about the money and benefits but being able to look at yourself in the mirror when you are old and be proud you made a tangible difference in someone's life. What makes the fdny an amazing career is tradition, hard work, and the amazing people you will bust your *** with. Also you should never judge someone on how they look, pretty disrespectful in my opinion.
    Last edited by bacon; Yesterday at 10:40 PM.

  15. #26990
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I think it will be similar to the last class ratio at this point.

    However, I think as the list gets higher the more people will accept and the ratio goes down. What am I basing this on? Remember, this is pure speculation and probably won't hold true but to me it makes a little sense.

    I think people who scored higher on the written have other alternatives, possibly better than the FDNY. As the list gets higher and scores are lower these people may not have as many good alternatives. This of course assumes that smarter people scored higher on the test which may not be the case when comparing 100-98 score.

    I have noticed that other people who I know personally who scored higher on the test seemed to be smarter and/or better at preparation than people who scored lower. Smarter and people who prepare better usually have better alternatives.

    The other issue is people who scored higher may also have gotten points from being in the military, these people are more likely to defer because of this.

    Another issue is people are more likely to defer right now as they have plenty of time to get back on the list before 2016 or 2017 when the list ends. I know I wouldn't even consider deferring if I didn't have plenty of time left. As the list goes higher, all the people who deferred are going to have to get back on the list also.

    So unless any of you have a better reason why the list ratio will increase, it will actually go lower in my opinion as the list gets higher.

    To sum it up:

    People who scored lower on the test do not have better alternatives and are more likely to join the FDNY
    Less people will defer as the list gets older
    People who deferred will start asking to get back on the list
    Less military people will defer
    I disagree with the idea that the list will be moving slower since smarter/more dedicated guys are at the top. Because of the lawsuit, this test was so dumbed down that the well prepared could not seperate themselves from the pack.This test was a part of the social experiment developed by our favorite judge to increase the diversity of the FDNY at the the expense of safety and preparedness.Everyone and their mother did well on this exam-- add in the subjective personality questions and you have an exam that gives the undedicated a shot at this job. We must never forget this.
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

  16. #26991
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkjets75 View Post
    I disagree with the idea that the list will be moving slower since smarter/more dedicated guys are at the top. Because of the lawsuit, this test was so dumbed down that the well prepared could not seperate themselves from the pack.This test was a part of the social experiment developed by our favorite judge to increase the diversity of the FDNY at the the expense of safety and preparedness.Everyone and their mother did well on this exam-- add in the subjective personality questions and you have an exam that gives the undedicated a shot at this job. We must never forget this.
    ... " the well prepared " ... " at the expense of a safety and preparedness " ... " the undedicated "

    A lot of " they " in your post, ( oh noessss ! They're coming to get me ! Ahhh ! ) masked in cognitive dissonance and idle conjecture. Sounds like an entire vineyard of sour grapes, amico mio.

    If you scored a 96 on 2000 ... Tough luck ... Hopefully you can do better on the next exam if you're not aged out.

    If you're already OTJ ... Why would you care which path each of us has traveled to get to this point, or how we've been afforded this glorious opportunity ?

    If people who took 2000 are so unsafe and unprepared, then it's on YOU and the rest of the senior guys to get us where we need to be. If we're so undedicated ... Perhaps you can lead by example and show us the right path. Mind you, not sure how u can possibly be unprepared, unsafe and undedicated to a job you don't even have yet ... Doesn't make too much sense.

    Stop crying brother ... But if you wish to continue to do so, I can hand u a box of kleenex.
    Last edited by Gomer Pyle; Today at 12:48 AM.

  17. #26992
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,325

    Default

    Extremely well said.

  18. #26993
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    104

    Default

    What happens after 5 years? Is there a % increase in salary every year after? Someone 15 years in can't be making the same as someone 5.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 9 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 8 guests)

  1. 4040clubBouncer

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 05:52 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM
  3. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  4. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register