Like Tree11352Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Ughh so I did well on my promotional test at DSNY, I suppose it's not a bad problem to have but now I gotta decide between staying or leaving. While FF has always been my dream job, the financially smart decision is to stay at Dsny, I know money isn't everything though. But at some point life gets in the way. Realistically I'm looking at winter 2015/2016 academy, where I'll prob he promoted by then. So I could be a 2nd rank or go back to beginning. I'll prob be able to take test for 3rd rank superintendent before I'm even at top pay for a FF. I've never felt more weighed down and stressed about a decision as I have the past few days. This will literally change my entire life. Sorry for the rant, just venting, I really don't know the right path, all my loved ones just give me the generic advice, do what makes you happy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    That's a good point that the longer the list goes on, people will find other alternatives and will not join. I agree with that to an extent, however, knowing how difficult it is out in the private work force most people won't find a better alternative.

Because of the high paying benefits of the FDNY, which would be similar to saving millions of dollars over the course of your private employment, you are really better off taking the FDNY when compared to most private jobs. I think most people are too young to be in a private job that would pay better than the FDNY when taking into account the benefits.

I'll also say this, when I went to the rock and saw the people at the practice session a few months back, most people didn't look very academic. Nothing that you would see at a university (well maybe a city college). I think most people who have better alternatives never took the FDNY test. I didn't take the FDNY test years back because I considered the job beneath me. However, when I got older and actually calculated the salary, work hours, and lifestyle benefits, you can't beat the FDNY job unless you were a doctor or a very good Lawyer, or will take over a family business.

The other big factor is if you are smart you have to calculate that you will easily make chief rank on the FDNY and they get paid a lot of money. You really have to take this into account. It will be interesting how these higher ranks will work out now that the FDNY is drawing smarter people into it, it may be very competitive, just like this OC test is.

It will be interesting to see. Most likely it will stay close to the last list, about 570 candidates. I will still lean towards it being lower.

BTW. I think the police can switch to the FDNY and keep the years on the job and salary rate.
    You have some nerve talking down on the brothers of this great department and the "unborn" striving to get on this job. Sorry you didn't see a bunch of preppy hipsters training to become firefighters... That's generally not the FDNY target demographic! You once believed this job was beneath you? Are you kidding me? My biggest fear is going down a dark hot hallway with a pencil pushers turned Johnny fireman who only took this job for the money, benefits and schedule. Those are the guys that will run the other way when **** hits the fan. Make no mistake... This job is not just a great economic play to combat a downhill economy. People get severely injured on this job and people die on this job. No salary, schedule or pension package in the world is worth anyone putting their life up for ransom. It's much bigger than that for us. This job is a calling and if it's not in your heart it's probably not for you. A lot of guys want to wear the jersey but when the time comes they don't want to get on the field!

I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman.
    The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling.
    Our proudest moment is to save lives
    Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even at the supreme sacrifice. Chief E Croker

Forum Member

PS... Congrats to the brothers and sisters who will be swearing in tomorrow and welcome to the best job in the world! Good luck and don't quit... It gets better!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I'll also say this, when I went to the rock and saw the people at the practice session a few months back, most people didn't look very academic. Nothing that you would see at a university (well maybe a city college). I think most people who have better alternatives never took the FDNY test. I didn't take the FDNY test years back because I considered the job beneath me. However, when I got older and actually calculated the salary, work hours, and lifestyle benefits, you can't beat the FDNY job unless you were a doctor or a very good Lawyer, or will take over a family business.
    Definitely plenty of blue collar/ex-military on the list. I took all the civil service tests and did very well on all of them. I think anyone that lives in NYC should take those tests to give yourself options. I mean, why not? I also took Nassau County PD and got called for that. Entering the academy will definitely be more appealing to a kid working an hourly construction gig or retail job rather than someone with a degree who maybe has an office job already, and doesn't want to take a substantial pay cut for a few years.

My friend is an accountant for one of the big four firms and wouldn't take the test with me because he couldn't see the sense in going down to $39k, as he was making $65+ base at the time. I still say he should've taken the test to give himself the option, although he makes around $100k with bonus now. It'd also be very difficult to afford a home in our middle class neighborhood (Average home price $610k) relying on the $76k base, and settling for a home in a neighborhood with slightly poorer schools and slightly more crime isn't very appealing.

Thread Information