Like Tree12922Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #27026
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EKFCASPER View Post
    Do we have put down any red light camera tickets? I had one or two and thankfully that's all the bad I've done
    Those aren't considered moving violations and don't give points, so I wouldn't worry about them. Won't hurt to ask investigator, but I wouldn't stress those.

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    do we need our draft cards? or drivers abstract? i had an out of state license. i can't believe it. beside one transcript i don't think I am missing anything. see you guys monday!
    The list of documents I have as being needed has draft cards on it. I believe the FDNY will request your abstract themselves, but if not, it's an instant download on the DMV website.

  2. #27027
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    brooklyn
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSNY2FDNY View Post
    Ughh so I did well on my promotional test at DSNY, I suppose it's not a bad problem to have but now I gotta decide between staying or leaving. While FF has always been my dream job, the financially smart decision is to stay at Dsny, I know money isn't everything though. But at some point life gets in the way. Realistically I'm looking at winter 2015/2016 academy, where I'll prob he promoted by then. So I could be a 2nd rank or go back to beginning. I'll prob be able to take test for 3rd rank superintendent before I'm even at top pay for a FF. I've never felt more weighed down and stressed about a decision as I have the past few days. This will literally change my entire life. Sorry for the rant, just venting, I really don't know the right path, all my loved ones just give me the generic advice, do what makes you happy.
    Doing what makes you happy is the best advice, but is often the hardest to understand.

    If I were you, I'd take the promotions and put some money aside. If you decide to go FDNY when your number is called, the savings will help you with the pay cut.

    If at that point, you have kids or a mortgage or whatever, and money is a concern, I would stay DSNY. Still a great job. But if you have the flexibility to almost start over pay-wise, I'd move to FDNY if that is truly what you want (as I assume it is since you post here lol)
    Matador611 and DSNY2FDNY like this.

  3. #27028
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    81

    Default

    ...deleted...
    Last edited by Bassjunkie06; 01-09-2015 at 01:03 PM.

  4. #27029
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    Had my intake today. Couple of you guys were late. Or not wearing business attire. To each his own.

    Pretty good process. Sit in the front left if you wanna go first only about 25-30 guys there today.

    A little disconcerting intake with my investigator though. She seemed a little scattered and I struggled to communicate with her.

    I'm going to stay positive. I left not missing any documents.
    Rumor mill: June academy. And those of us who are going before the years end are in the running for it.
    Hey how long was the whole process? Any parking available?

  5. #27030
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4LIFE718 View Post
    Hey how long was the whole process? Any parking available?
    I took an uber.
    Was there before 8 until like 11 or so

  6. #27031
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    860

    Default

    The new class started today ? Any dropouts on day 1 ? Good luck to you guys on what will be the hardest yet most fulfilling 18 weeks of you're lives.

  7. #27032
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkopie View Post
    Doing what makes you happy is the best advice, but is often the hardest to understand.

    If I were you, I'd take the promotions and put some money aside. If you decide to go FDNY when your number is called, the savings will help you with the pay cut.

    If at that point, you have kids or a mortgage or whatever, and money is a concern, I would stay DSNY. Still a great job. But if you have the flexibility to almost start over pay-wise, I'd move to FDNY if that is truly what you want (as I assume it is since you post here lol)
    I know in my hear I would be way happier as a FF, I could do with the starting pay, I just like it's a potentially selfish decision, I know staying with DSNY will allow me to realize my life goals much quicker and provide a better life for my family, but I would be a liar if I said I wanted to stay at DSNY, every part of me wants this job with FDNY, I'm sure all you guys have that same feeling, that whole , this is what I'm meant to do feeling. I know I have some time to think about it, so for now the plan is still train train train and go through the pre employment process as if I'm starting the academy tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.
    bkopie likes this.

  8. #27033
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DSNY2FDNY View Post
    I don't know man times are changing. I was raised in a middle class Staten Island neighborhood, my parents bought their home for 160,000, it's on the market now for 500,000. Honestly finding a nice home in the same middle class neighborhood I grew up in that isn't a town house for less than 5-600k isn't that easy anymore.
    Exactly, and wages certainly haven't gone up 300% like housing has. If you live in a middle class neighborhood with your folks now, don't expect to be able to move in there within 10 years on this salary alone. Not possible.

  9. #27034
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fndyoneday View Post
    What I'm about to say is my opinion and my opinion only but I really don't think people sign up for this career path to get rich. I have friends who have been otj for years and most are married with kids living comfortably in the boroughs or Long Island. Not one of them took this job with thoughts of becoming rich but helping a city which they love. If money is a priority (and I have tons of friends which this is the case) they never even wanted the option of this career. This is a dangerous job and most people can't hack it. Follow your heart brothers.

    Good luck to everyone getting sworn in today. Hope ill be with you in the summer!
    It's not about "getting rich", it's actually being able to live a modest lifestyle in NYC with this salary. People otj for years might have been able to purchase houses years ago when housing was more affordable. This isn't the case today; the wages are about 10% more than what they were 15 years ago, while housing in NYC has went up roughly 200%. It's simple math, and it's something to think about when going for this job.

  10. #27035
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grown Simba View Post
    This isn't a blog for career advice but rather a way to find extra motivation and understanding of the process for those who really believe in this job. .
    Sure, but that doesn't mean the pros and cons shouldn't be discussed. We'd be doing a disservice to those that may be ill-informed about the compensation of this job, especially when the job requires you to live in an such a high cost of living city like NYC. People always uptalk the security of city jobs, but if you can never afford a home in the city you work for does it really provide the security that people think it does?

  11. #27036
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Unless things have changed, everybody I know on the fire department had another job. That is another beauty of the fire department which isn't discussed.

    I knew someone who was both a teacher and a fireman at the same time, go figure that one.

    You guys have to realize that if you took a private job you are going to have to save for your retirement, you won't have the half salary pay after 20 years which is like putting away easily over a million or two million dollars. So you can use your entire salary as a fireman without concern of retirement.

    If you are still worried about the salary, you do what most fireman do, construction work, plumbing work, house maintenance work etc. You will make more money doing those jobs outside the fire department than your fire department salary. You will also get most of the money "cash" off the books.

    Now for the guys who think they are too smart to do construction work or jobs like that, then you could always do something else on the side that you think is up to your high standards.
    Last edited by SirEd; 12-29-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    bkopie likes this.

  12. #27037
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    For all you guys worried about salary your not taking into account the amount of overtime that is available or the benefits that you will receive that are significantly better than most jobs out there. Guys at top pay make over 100k a year and if your significant other has a job there is no reason why you would be unable to afford a home.

  13. #27038
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Test 2000 View Post
    For all you guys worried about salary your not taking into account the amount of overtime that is available or the benefits that you will receive that are significantly better than most jobs out there. Guys at top pay make over 100k a year and if your significant other has a job there is no reason why you would be unable to afford a home.
    Those are two factors that won't be accepted when applying for mortgage, though. The overtime isn't guaranteed, and typically, if you have a significant other, at some point you will have children. That means someone will have to stay home and care for the kids and not work, or you will have to pay for costly daycare. What this means to me is that to get by you will have to, in some form of another, work more on the job or get a 2nd job.

    My point is that if you are banking on extra supplemental income, you put yourself in a very risky financial position. Defaulting on car loans, home loans, losing big down payments. All these factors need to be considered when envisioning a future with the FDNY, and the type of lifestyle you plan to live. This is especially important for those that are considering taking the job that are young and have no life experience with large financial decisions or burdens.

  14. #27039
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoTheWork View Post
    You have some nerve talking down on the brothers of this great department and the "unborn" striving to get on this job. Sorry you didn't see a bunch of preppy hipsters training to become firefighters... That's generally not the FDNY target demographic! You once believed this job was beneath you? Are you kidding me? My biggest fear is going down a dark hot hallway with a pencil pushers turned Johnny fireman who only took this job for the money, benefits and schedule. Those are the guys that will run the other way when **** hits the fan. Make no mistake... This job is not just a great economic play to combat a downhill economy. People get severely injured on this job and people die on this job. No salary, schedule or pension package in the world is worth anyone putting their life up for ransom. It's much bigger than that for us. This job is a calling and if it's not in your heart it's probably not for you. A lot of guys want to wear the jersey but when the time comes they don't want to get on the field!

    I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman.
    The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we who know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling.
    Our proudest moment is to save lives
    Under the impulse of such thoughts, the nobility of the occupation thrills us and stimulates us to deeds of daring, even at the supreme sacrifice. Chief E Croker
    I don't know what to tell you. I'm older now and just see a job for what it is. Work schedule, pay, hours, benefits, quality of life etc.

    I don't really glorify being a fireman, the way I see it (I could be wrong) is that fires are very rare in the city with all the safety building codes and for the most part you will not be doing that many dangerous things.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of an adrenalin junky and I would have fun running into a burning building. I believe the job will mostly be waiting at the firehouse, gas calls, car accidents, and stuff like that. Maybe checking fire codes in buildings. Serious fires will happen, but will be rare and probably will be spraying down the buildings from the outside until it is safe to go inside. I just don't think fireman take all that many risks as you think.

    now if you really wanted to help someone I would say you're better off being an EMT or something similar as you will help actually people more often than as a fireman. I even think a police officer will put you in a position to help people more often than a fireman.

    I know what I write will come across bad and have people start glorying the job and say you have to want to be a "die hard" fireman to consider this job, but I just don't see it. This is not the case when speaking with fireman on the job or who did the job for many years. To them they recommend the job because it is easy, good benefits, great lifestyle with the time off etc.

    The more I think about, no fireman on the job has told me about all the great times of helping people and how rewarding it was.

    My biggest reasons for the job are the work schedule hours, and not having to sit behind a desk and computer all day which I hate. Also the retirement benefits and able to retire after 20 years at half pay are also a huge reason. It is certainly no the fact that I want to "help people" , even though I find myself more helpful to people in general than most anybody else I meet. Most people I meet and especially people at other jobs are lazy and unhelpful.

  15. #27040
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    Also the retirement benefits and able to retire after 20 years at half pay are also a huge reason. .
    22 years now..

  16. #27041
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    20

    Default

    You will be mostly spraying fires from the outside? Sorry to break the news to you but if you expect to be a nyc firefighter you will be going into those building's.. There are fires everyday on this job. Depending on where you are they are more frequent than others but to think you "aren't going to be doing many dangerous things *you should probably do a little more research than you have.

  17. #27042
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I'm sitting here reading this last page and it's pretty clearcut that there are two sides to the discussion (If you've been following, you know them). But what I really can't understand, is why guys on this forum who have grown up wanting this job, or really can't see themselves doing anything else, can try to convince guys who speak of the job as "below them" or a "backup plan" that its the job for them.

    Now I'm clearly not on the job, or I wouldn't be on here with you fellas, but my father was, and he was seriously injured doing so.

    The reality of the situation is that you'll live in a middle-class home, and you'll probably have a middle-class car. Money will be tight at times, but you'll get by. If you have kids, you'll need a second job. And although Firefighters may not put their lives on the line every single day, you can count on those life-threatening days finding you enough to make it a very dangerous profession where retirement isn't guaranteed to everybody. Yet that being said...

    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8CFeQKL3pM

    If ^this^ isn't your dream job, there's plenty of tests to take, and money to make elsewhere.

  18. #27043
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    Sure, but that doesn't mean the pros and cons shouldn't be discussed. We'd be doing a disservice to those that may be ill-informed about the compensation of this job, especially when the job requires you to live in an such a high cost of living city like NYC. People always uptalk the security of city jobs, but if you can never afford a home in the city you work for does it really provide the security that people think it does?
    I enjoy how you keep badmouthing the job. I hope it deters people ahead of me on the list from preparing or even going forward with it. Thanks!

  19. #27044
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4LIFE718 View Post
    I enjoy how you keep badmouthing the job. I hope it deters people ahead of me on the list from preparing or even going forward with it. Thanks!
    You see, you're confused. I'm not badmouthing the job. I'm weighing the pros and cons. I know some people like yourself probably aren't very educated and are just jumping into this blindly thinking this is the key to all your dreams. But the reality is that when living in NYC, if you have dependents, you're more than likely not going to be able to afford most middle class neighborhoods even five years after the job. If this is something you have already weighed out and accepted, great. But for those who haven't thought about that, and might not realize they might not be able to qualify for a mortgage until their in their 40s, it's something to think about. But if your only other alternative is blue collar labor or retail jobs then don't worry about it, as this will definitely be a big step up for you.

  20. #27045
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SirEd View Post
    I don't know what to tell you. I'm older now and just see a job for what it is. Work schedule, pay, hours, benefits, quality of life etc.

    I don't really glorify being a fireman, the way I see it (I could be wrong) is that fires are very rare in the city with all the safety building codes and for the most part you will not be doing that many dangerous things.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit of an adrenalin junky and I would have fun running into a burning building. I believe the job will mostly be waiting at the firehouse, gas calls, car accidents, and stuff like that. Maybe checking fire codes in buildings. Serious fires will happen, but will be rare and probably will be spraying down the buildings from the outside until it is safe to go inside. I just don't think fireman take all that many risks as you think.

    now if you really wanted to help someone I would say you're better off being an EMT or something similar as you will help actually people more often than as a fireman. I even think a police officer will put you in a position to help people more often than a fireman.

    I know what I write will come across bad and have people start glorying the job and say you have to want to be a "die hard" fireman to consider this job, but I just don't see it. This is not the case when speaking with fireman on the job or who did the job for many years. To them they recommend the job because it is easy, good benefits, great lifestyle with the time off etc.

    The more I think about, no fireman on the job has told me about all the great times of helping people and how rewarding it was.

    My biggest reasons for the job are the work schedule hours, and not having to sit behind a desk and computer all day which I hate. Also the retirement benefits and able to retire after 20 years at half pay are also a huge reason. It is certainly no the fact that I want to "help people" , even though I find myself more helpful to people in general than most anybody else I meet. Most people I meet and especially people at other jobs are lazy and unhelpful.
    Mr. Ed, I said it before & I'll say it again. You are a horse's azz & don't belong on the GREAT FDNY! With your attitude you will get eaten alive in a firehouse (if you even make it through the Academy.) Almost half of the incidents responded to by Fire Units are for Medical Emergencies. In FY 2014 there were approx 25,900 structural fires; 16,800 non-structural fires; 223,300 medical emergencies; 217,600 non-medical emergencies; & 19,900 malicious false alarms for a total of 503,600 incidents (Numbers were rounded). We don't spray water from the outside into the building. 99% of the time we make an aggressive interior attack.186 firefighters were burned and a total of 8663 were injured in FY 2014. With a force of 10,500 (all firefighter ranks) and 8663 injuries, 86% of the people were injured during the year. Over 50,000 people were saved or rescued. 310 from building fires; 2500 medical saves of non-breathers; 39,400 trapped in elevators; 190 from utility emergencies; 2700 trapped in buildings or apartments; 360 extricated from auto accidents; 200 from bodies of water or carbon monoxide; & 4500 "others". Try to get facts before posting, or better yet, go crawl into a corner. When you cite members telling you the only good things are it's easy, good benefits, great lifestyle with the time off, etc., they must have been zeroes (true exceptions to the rule, so I even doubt what you say was said by them) like you will be (if you make it & I surely hope you don't!)
    bkopie, Test 2000 and BD1017 like this.

  21. #27046
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    You see, you're confused. I'm not badmouthing the job. I'm weighing the pros and cons. I know some people like yourself probably aren't very educated and are just jumping into this blindly thinking this is the key to all your dreams. But the reality is that when living in NYC, if you have dependents, you're more than likely not going to be able to afford most middle class neighborhoods even five years after the job. If this is something you have already weighed out and accepted, great. But for those who haven't thought about that, and might not realize they might not be able to qualify for a mortgage until their in their 40s, it's something to think about. But if your only other alternative is blue collar labor or retail jobs then don't worry about it, as this will definitely be a big step up for you.
    75k. A year and 1 child and a wife affords u a nice two family home in a middle class in a queens neighborhood . U have no clue what Ur talking about . Being able to afford decent property in NYC is not as difficult as u think it is.
    I'm talking from experience not some hypothetical assestment that Uve been thinking about .

    "If u have dependents Ur significant other won't be able to work and day care is expensive "

    Lol mannmn . Wondering .........

    720+ credit and 3 percent down . And I'll show u how to take out an fha loan . Hold it for 5 years then convert it to a conventional loan to knock off the pmi.

    Btw I've made over 150k over the last 7 years . And I'm Still dying to go to fdny .

    Gotta use Ur head . The job is so flexible , that it allows u to do so much more on the side . It's crazy . Who the hell, wants to stay at home and do nothing on their time off anyway , Ur relationship at home won't last.
    Last edited by k20dc2; 12-30-2014 at 01:47 AM.

  22. #27047
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    75k. A year and 1 child and a wife affords u a nice two family home in a middle class in a queens neighborhood . U have no clue what Ur talking about . Being able to afford decent property in NYC is not as difficult as u think it is.
    I'm talking from experience not some hypothetical assestment that Uve been thinking about .

    "If u have dependents Ur significant other won't be able to work and day care is expensive "

    Lol mannmn . Wondering .........

    720+ credit and 3 percent down . And I'll show u how to take out an fha loan . Hold it for 5 years then convert it to a conventional loan to knock off the pmi.

    Btw I've made over 150k over the last 7 years . And I'm Still dying to go to fdny .

    Gotta use Ur head . The job is so flexible , that it allows u to do so much more on the side . It's crazy . Who the hell, wants to stay at home and do nothing on their time off anyway , Ur relationship at home won't last.
    Maybe you didn't do the math on this one, pal.

    Do you know what your mortgage payment a month will be when putting 3% down on a $450k-$500k home? Your principal and interest alone will be north of $2300. Now factor in property tax, home owners insurance, pmi, utilities, internet. Don't forget car payments, car insurance, groceries, cell phone bills, etc. etc. etc. All that on $76k after tax, you're underwater buddy.

  23. #27048
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    Maybe you didn't do the math on this one, pal.

    Do you know what your mortgage payment a month will be when putting 3% down on a $450k-$500k home? Your principal and interest alone will be north of $2300. Now factor in property tax, home owners insurance, pmi, utilities, internet. Don't forget car payments, car insurance, groceries, cell phone bills, etc. etc. etc. All that on $76k after tax, you're underwater buddy.
    I own 2 homes . I know what it is because im living it . Period .

    It is more than doable . I just bought a second home 7 months ago for 520 2 family home .
    Soooooo to put it simply . I've done it . So anyone can do it on that pay scale . Don't speak if Ur not or haven't done it . Ur the one out of water bud .

  24. #27049
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k20dc2 View Post
    I own 2 homes . I know what it is because im living it . Period .

    It is more than doable . I just bought a second home 7 months ago for 520 2 family home .
    Soooooo to put it simply . I've done it . So anyone can do it on that pay scale . Don't speak if Ur not or haven't done it . Ur the one out of water bud .
    You just said you're making double the salary a year. Not to mention you'll obviously be pulling in rental income from those properties. You're not really giving us any numbers you're just saying you're doing it. I just showed you that a home at that price and normal expenses can't comfortably be done. You'll ether have very little money for savings or you'll be under water. Also we can't expect everyone on the job to qualify for FHA loans.

  25. #27050
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    You just said you're making double the salary a year. Not to mention you'll obviously be pulling in rental income from those properties. You're not really giving us any numbers you're just saying you're doing it. I just showed you that a home at that price and normal expenses can't comfortably be done. You'll ether have very little money for savings or you'll be under water. Also we can't expect everyone on the job to qualify for FHA loans.
    The key is to invest in a multi family as Ur first home . Never buy a single.family as Ur first home . That's not smart .

    At the end of the day . Those who signed up for the test knew what the pay was to begin with so I see no sence in dragging this conversation out . I don't see why Ur placing so much attention to it . Either u want to be a fireman or u don't . Why even bother on trying to tell people on what they might want to think about . Let them figure it out .

    Don't worry about controlling or trying to figure out what others should do . Or will do . Concentrate on urself . Ur going to have the same opportunity as the next guy . Assuming they reach Ur number . And when they do Ull make that decision.

    Get on the job . Then figure the rest out .
    Last edited by k20dc2; 12-30-2014 at 02:47 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 23 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 19 guests)

  1. BD1017,
  2. fndyoneday,
  3. Modest_MaL,
  4. MuscleHamster

Similar Threads

  1. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 02-09-2015, 12:28 AM
  2. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-30-2015, 04:26 AM
  3. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 04:52 AM
  4. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  5. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register