Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 109 of 1144 FirstFirst ... 959991061071081091101111121191592096091109 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 22873
Like Tree8986Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

  1. #2161
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    staten island
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I was watching fox 5 news this morning ,they said that there looking to hire 3,500 within the next 4 years ....I hoping this is true !!!


  2. #2162
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vekdoggs75 View Post
    Anybody else read the articles about the test results where Coombs is quoted the test isn't a success until there are more minorities actually on the job and not just taking the test. It's never enough for these ****ing fools man.


    However, John Coombs, president of the Vulcan Society, said recruitment is not an issue.

    “Just to have a lot of people take an exam doesn’t translate to those individuals becoming firefighters,” Coombs said.



    Also says this immediately after:

    Only 3,000 to 3,500 positions are expected to be filled in the department over the next four years.


    Record-Breaking Number Of Minorities, Women Take FDNY Exam ę CBS New York




    Also for the record, there were nothing but articles praising the city on their achievements after the 2007 exam as well. Not trying to necessarily be a pessimist here, just stating a fact.

  3. #2163
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tone 718 View Post
    I was watching fox 5 news this morning ,they said that there looking to hire 3,500 within the next 4 years ....I hoping this is true !!!
    i think they probly meant list #3500, but i hope they meant actual number of firefighters hired

  4. #2164
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    positions is definitely not list number, but 3000-3500 jobs seems like an awful lot.

  5. #2165
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tone 718 View Post
    I was watching fox 5 news this morning ,they said that there looking to hire 3,500 within the next 4 years ....I hoping this is true !!!
    I think the mayor's recent budget proposal will speak volumes on that idea. He is trying once again to close 20 firehouses so if those stay open then that's a believable figure of hiring. If they close then this list will be sparingly used in my opinion. Also I think we should focus on the Judge approving the exam which I don't see happening until they set up a list and he can see how diverse that 1st class would likely be.

  6. #2166
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    when does that proposal come out? I saw the official release the mayors office had last week, but there was no mention of fire at all. Funding for NYPD wasn't being decreased, for what it's worth.

  7. #2167
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    60

    Default

    If, if they would get around 3-3500 people on the job; what would the list number reach around? 10k plus?

  8. #2168
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireFighterCanididate1 View Post
    If, if they would get around 3-3500 people on the job; what would the list number reach around? 10k plus?
    As is seems to go at about a 3.5-1 list number per hire ratio that would be a believable estimate. What isnt believable is 3,500 people going through the rock in 4 years. Thats about 438 people per class when the limit seems to be 300.

    But yeah, thats not even worth thinking about till this idiot judge leaves this process alone. I remember 6 years ago when i thought id be on in no time.
    Last edited by River6019; 05-09-2012 at 12:59 PM.

  9. #2169
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    when does that proposal come out? I saw the official release the mayors office had last week, but there was no mention of fire at all. Funding for NYPD wasn't being decreased, for what it's worth.
    I just got it from this - Mayor’s Budget Calls for Cuts to FDNY, Youth - Metropolis - WSJ

  10. #2170
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River6019 View Post
    As is seems to go at about a 3.5-1 list number per hire ratio that would be a believable estimate. What isnt believable is 3,500 people going through the rock in 4 years. Thats about 438 people per class when the limit seems to be 300.
    The historical number has been around 3.5. They hired 225 people last class and called up to around list #886 i believe, which is about a 3.9 ratio. But its also worth noting that in the past the physical was conducted before the list number was established, so i expect that the hiring ratio should be slightly higher this time around considering that the our list will be established before those who can not pass the physical are weeded out.

  11. #2171
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kd44 View Post
    The historical number has been around 3.5. They hired 225 people last class and called up to around list #886 i believe, which is about a 3.9 ratio. But its also worth noting that in the past the physical was conducted before the list number was established, so i expect that the hiring ratio should be slightly higher this time around considering that the our list will be established before those who can not pass the physical are weeded out.


    The physical was given after list numbers came out for that test as well. The more significant variable this time around will be (or should I say "would be") EMS promos in my opinion. At least for the first few classes.
    Last edited by roadrunner09; 05-09-2012 at 01:54 PM.

  12. #2172
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    The physical was given after list numbers came out for that test as well. The more significant variable this time around will be (or should I say "would be") EMS promos in my opinion. At least for the first few classes.
    You're right on that one.

  13. #2173
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    112

    Default My rant

    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulFF View Post
    positions is definitely not list number, but 3000-3500 jobs seems like an awful lot.
    Out of 45,000 exam takers? Its a low percentage, no lottery odds here, but close to winning a raffle at a big party.
    At least 6,000 people got 105's, considering if the fdny grades off wrong or right answers and not race.


    We better not hear any chit that if you were Japanese you get an extra 5 points.
    Statistic wise, due to a high volume of blacks living in lower socio economic areas they will get a lower grade than non African Americans.
    It's Just the way the cookie crumbles. Poorer education in public schools in those areas, lower quality of life issues.
    I agree the test was easy, but I have a feeling the results will be the same as the last exam. Just because you have a higher number of minorities taking the test doesn't nessiarly mean they will get on the top of the list. The odds are the same and the city fails again.
    I am guessing they will pull some bullchit such as how they want the fdny to reflect the census results of how diverse the city is and just point blank say that they are looking to hire more minorities. I mean let's be real here people, this whole thing has been about race since the last test was stuffed up that judges fat ***. They're looking for minorities and if your not one, you've just become one.

  14. #2174
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    At least 6,000 people got 105's, considering if the fdny grades off wrong or right answers and not race.


    What magic did you conjure up to get this info?

  15. #2175
    Forum Member FdnytolifeE293's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hiding in the shadows waiting for the sun!!
    Posts
    378

    Default

    Lol, I agree that alot of people will get 100 on the first four portions of the exam. That's the reason why the personality Q's are going to be a big part of this exam. The personality Q's are gonna seperate fantasy from the ugly truth. I agree with the whole public school system bs you said and so does the judge that's one of the reasons why he considered the past exams to be biased.

  16. #2176
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Poconos, Pa
    Posts
    796

    Default

    When does Bloomburg come up for re-election? seems like he's been in there for a while. Maybe, those of us who are city residents (not me unfortunately) can pressure a new mayor candidate to focus on supporting the fire dept, public safety in general. I mean, im sure there's got to be at least 10-15,000 new yorkers who tested, multiply that by 2-3 for family members and/or friends and the numbers can add up..voices will be heard. I'm just saying, something to focus on and be constructive in the mean time while we wait.

  17. #2177
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigGriffC12 View Post
    When does Bloomburg come up for re-election? seems like he's been in there for a while. Maybe, those of us who are city residents (not me unfortunately) can pressure a new mayor candidate to focus on supporting the fire dept, public safety in general. I mean, im sure there's got to be at least 10-15,000 new yorkers who tested, multiply that by 2-3 for family members and/or friends and the numbers can add up..voices will be heard. I'm just saying, something to focus on and be constructive in the mean time while we wait.
    This was his third term. He changed term limits to allow him self a third term, hes out of office After he serves this term.
    One supposed reason he wants to close so many firehouses is because this year had the least deaths by fire since 1913. As society becomes more advanced, newer safer electronics and standards for electrical equipment , less fires and less need for so many operating fire houses. I doubt they wil close any. But they will not open any new ones.
    Hopefully the next mayor is big on public safety .
    Last edited by bensonhurstlovesme; 05-09-2012 at 10:23 PM.

  18. #2178
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    i think all the serious mayoral candidates are pro-fire. councilwoman quinn would be the best case scenario for the dept, but who knows if their tune changes once theyre in office and have some tough decisions to make.

  19. #2179
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner09 View Post
    What magic did you conjure up to get this info?
    Get off your high horse. I never stated anything as Fact.what's your need to correct me and tell me what's right or wrong?

  20. #2180
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonhurstlovesme View Post
    Get off your high horse. I never stated anything as Fact.what's your need to correct me and tell me what's right or wrong?


    I never assumed that was a fact. But now that you mention it.....you stated it as a fact.
    River6019 likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 18 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 13 guests)

  1. 40&OUT,
  2. 4040clubBouncer,
  3. dem7191,
  4. dkjets75,
  5. SpilledChili6019

Similar Threads

  1. Remember The Brothers 9-11-01
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The 9-11 Tragedy
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 09-12-2013, 04:08 AM
  2. Fdny exam
    By ffkisselstein in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Firefighters Betrayed
    By Nail200 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 259
    Last Post: 07-07-2007, 03:11 PM
  4. FDNY Medical Exam
    By FDNY78 in forum Testing & Fitness
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 11:16 AM
  5. No Firefighter Should Ever Die Again
    By blancety in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 07-09-2005, 11:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts