Like Tree12474Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Good luck with that. I ate whatever I wanted when I wanted and still lost 20-30#.

Today marks 2 years for my class. It goes by quick, and has been worth it every step of the way.
    As long as your caloric intake exceeds the calories burnt at the academy, you can gain weight, and muscle mass at that.

I was doing cardio for 1000 calorie burn daily, while lifting heavy and making sure I had 3500 cals daily with 250+ grams of protein.
    I gained nearly 20lbs of mass in 10 weeks.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Good luck with that. I ate whatever I wanted when I wanted and still lost 20-30#.

Today marks 2 years for my class. It goes by quick, and has been worth it every step of the way.
    Losing weight is something I've been trying to avoid but it's inevitable lol f it I'll bulk right before & after the academy

Ps: glad to hear that last part. Haven't heard a negative comment at all from any grad...good ish
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Fyi my references say they got their letters too. My intake was 12/29. It's moving right along folks

Forum Member

I graduated the Academy last July. I was big into weight lifting for a few years prior to getting in. My biggest advice would be put down the heavy weights ASAP. The academy work outs are all about endurance. You will be using 10lb dumbells and doing a s**t ton of burpees, pushups, and squats. Being able to bench press 250 didn't help me a bit and if anything it actually hindered my performance based on what the FDNY is looking for. My biggest advice is RUN! Atleast get to the point where you can comfortably jog 3 miles.. Pt is going to kick your *** no matter what shape you are in so get used to doing non stop burpees, push-ups, jumping Jacks squats etc.. PUT DOWN THE WEIGHTS BOYS.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Test 2000 View Post
    I graduated the Academy last July. I was big into weight lifting for a few years prior to getting in. My biggest advice would be put down the heavy weights ASAP. The academy work outs are all about endurance. You will be using 10lb dumbells and doing a s**t ton of burpees, pushups, and squats. Being able to bench press 250 didn't help me a bit and if anything it actually hindered my performance based on what the FDNY is looking for. My biggest advice is RUN! Atleast get to the point where you can comfortably jog 3 miles.. Pt is going to kick your *** no matter what shape you are in so get used to doing non stop burpees, push-ups, jumping Jacks squats etc.. PUT DOWN THE WEIGHTS BOYS.
    I actually love doing burpees, sprints, pull ups, push ups. I think for one it keeps you in a better overall physical shape than just simply moving high volume (aka heavy weight lifting). From my own personal experience high intensity workouts not only build pure muscle but also keeps you conditioned for high output of power.

Forum Member

Heavy weights once a week is still a good idea? Deadlifting 300 plus here

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    That's what I've been doing dude. I try to squat OR deadlift super heavy once a week, alternating which one I do every week. It's actually helped me a ton with the running imo.
    Grown Simba likes this.

Forum Member

I wonder if they will ever go to the 3 classes a year, that would be amazing ! But we shall see, Im either set for fall or winter 15.. patience is a virtue I am lacking ..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynmike91 View Post
    I wonder if they will ever go to the 3 classes a year, that would be amazing ! But we shall see, Im either set for fall or winter 15.. patience is a virtue I am lacking ..
    If they started doing 3 classes a year that would be some awesome sauce
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mocon337 View Post
    That's what I've been doing dude. I try to squat OR deadlift super heavy once a week, alternating which one I do every week. It's actually helped me a ton with the running imo.
    I actually do the same. Before training for the rock I would usually do 3-4 days of heavy lifting and 1 cardio day. But I completely switched it up.

Now when I do the deadlift or back squat day I feel like it's a treat lol

But seriously from guys I know personally who finished the academy or people on here every one says to literally drop heavy weights it won't do you any good. So if you hvent made the switch yet you now have a New Years resolution lol

Forum Member

Check out probies helmet from a fire yesterday. It gets real out there boys and girls.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    As long as your caloric intake exceeds the calories burnt at the academy, you can gain weight, and muscle mass at that.

I was doing cardio for 1000 calorie burn daily, while lifting heavy and making sure I had 3500 cals daily with 250+ grams of protein.
    I understand how that works. I did build muscle mass, but I still lost 20-30# on the scale (and obviously the # was higher since some was offset by the increased muscle mass).

I'd keep up if I were you, but it's really not going to do much for you for academy PT. Everything in PT is light weight, high rep endurance based stuff. The heavy weights are good for the real world too.
    bklynmike91 likes this.

Forum Member

If anyone tells you to stop deadlifting laugh in their face.
    quietharvest1 likes this.

Forum Member

My advice fellas? Pack on the bulk and mass now with heavy lifting, about a month and a half before academy drop the supplements and weights. Your chest tricep sesh should be pushups.. Back bis hit with only pullups, n legs should be calisthenics squats and jogging.. I mean that's what Ima do, I'm 250lbs benching 315 n deadlift 495. 45 days before academy it's good bye gym and hello calisthenics

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFTB View Post
    I actually love doing burpees, sprints, pull ups, push ups. I think for one it keeps you in a better overall physical shape than just simply moving high volume (aka heavy weight lifting). From my own personal experience high intensity workouts not only build pure muscle but also keeps you conditioned for high output of power.
    High volume would be lots of reps not heavy weight. Heavy weight would be high intensity, the opposite of callistenics.
    Also frequency is a way in which volume is increased.

Forum Member

If there is any benefit of the boring desk job is that I've been slowly printing out the probie manual.. I honestly find it crazy that we are even provided with tons of study guide test questions. I'm going to put this printer to work!

Forum Member

Had to drop off a document to my investigator. She said letters for medicals should be going out real soon, with medicals being February 5th or around there. Hopefully she's on point.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

Just some advice. Push-ups. Planks. 100's of jumping jacks. 100's!! More push-ups. Run. Planks. Run. Stairs. Pushups. Grip strength. Pushups. Planks. Burpees. Pushups. You get the idea...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bk60191983 View Post
    Just some advice. Push-ups. Planks. 100's of jumping jacks. 100's!! More push-ups. Run. Planks. Run. Stairs. Pushups. Grip strength. Pushups. Planks. Burpees. Pushups. You get the idea...
    Thanks for this. Jumping jacks really? Always felt like a really easy exercise. I'll incorporate that too

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyscourts2fdny View Post
    Had to drop off a document to my investigator. She said letters for medicals should be going out real soon, with medicals being February 5th or around there. Hopefully she's on point.
    When was your intake?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    If anyone has a weight vest that they are finished with and looking to give away please PM me. Very much appreciated all! Thanks!!!!!
    I love how guys think they're "finished" with their weight vest once the medical is over. I bought a new 70lb vest the day after graduation.
    bkopie likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post

I entered the academy at 189lb and graduated at 203lb. I'm thinking it's muscle??
    Last edited by Spiderneck30; 01-16-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4LIFE718 View Post
    When was your intake?
    It was on 12/23.

Forum Member

Why have we not heard anything about three classes yet? Assuming they are going to have them why would they keep it a secret.
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynBorn View Post
    Why have we not heard anything about three classes yet? Assuming they are going to have them why would they keep it a secret.
    The three classes was approved for FY2015. Which means the department has the funding. Whether they choose to use and appropriate these funds towards facilitating an academy every 20 weeks remains to be determined. But as far as us hearing about it, we wouldn't until the current class is finished seeing as that would be the first class entering in 2015.
    BrooklynBorn likes this.

Thread Information