Like Tree11868Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    You're real encouraging, calling a probie a jackass.

Stay class, Medic.
    Cmon man why you gonna trash the one - or one of the only - dudes on here that give great advice to probies and aspiring probies alike. He's a patient contributor to the forum. Most of us probably plan on quitting the forum after we get a run letter but MM continues to be active and extend a hand to others.
    Matador611 and Grown Simba like this.

Forum Member

This dude is obviously a troll. He's on this forum looking to get a reaction from people yet he's still trying to be a firefighter after bashing the job continuously. He's about the dollar not the dream and honor who only hides behind a computer for this. If it's not positive (that's with anything in life) it's best to just ignore. You feed him energy then you just give him a bigger sense of importance. I put money up he doesn't dare to say who he is when he gets in the academy though...
    IpissonFIRES likes this.

Forum Member

So I went to my intake. Only missing a couple things. The earnings statement that I mentioned before but got it right after the interview, court dipositions(have to waste a day at court to get it), and was given a form so that I can explain each of my convictions. THEN IM DONE WITH PAPERS!(i think)
    Grown Simba likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by I****onFIRES View Post
    So I went to my intake. Only missing a couple things. The earnings statement that I mentioned before but got it right after the interview, court dipositions(have to waste a day at court to get it), and was given a form so that I can explain each of my convictions. THEN IM DONE WITH PAPERS!(i think)
    They give you a deadline to get those documents?

Forum Member

Back to war tomorrow, week 5, let's go!!!!!
    Matador611 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4040clubBouncer View Post
    They give you a deadline to get those documents?
    No, just told me to contact them when I get everything.

Forum Member

It's doubtful. There were no instructions to stand at attention, in addition there were multiple pictures taking during that time, they reviewed it prior to posting it. So no harm done. He should just paid attention to his surrounding for future reference.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JRodPizza View Post
    Hey guys in the academy now.. I could imagine this class being real tough with the cold and what not, have you guys had a lot of drop outs since day one? Hopefully not too many
    Two resigned this past week. But I think overall 7 to 10 guys resigned. Not 100% sure

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDTech View Post
    Two resigned this past week. But I think overall 7 to 10 guys resigned. Not 100% sure

what are the main reasons people resign? is it the stress? is it too physically vigorous for them? speaking of which, this leads me to ask, if they absolutely physically cannot perform the PT exercise are they kicked out or asked to resign?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dudefromtheburg View Post
    what are the main reasons people resign? is it the stress? is it too physically vigorous for them? speaking of which, this leads me to ask, if they absolutely physically cannot perform the PT exercise are they kicked out or asked to resign?
    Academics play a role as well.

You can't just " muscle " your way through Probie School. Guys maybe fail a few quizzes / tests and all of a sudden graduation isn't a forgone conclusion anymore.
    IpissonFIRES likes this.

Forum Member

Got my Medical the 4th & the Psych the 14th.. I'm 23xx.. Also my investigator told me the next class going in July.

Forum Member

Just a heads up to the guys going to intake in a couple weeks. Show up 45 mins early. I was the 4th person to arrive & I was out by 10:30. People who showed up 10 mins before we were supposed to I guarantee were there till at least 2.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dudefromtheburg View Post
    I think some people who resign probably didnt really want it that bad in the first place. There are people who apply just because they see "now hiring" and want a job and think they're only going to make them do 10 jumping jacks and a couple pushups a day.

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Just a heads up to the guys going to intake in a couple weeks. Show up 45 mins early. I was the 4th person to arrive & I was out by 10:30. People who showed up 10 mins before we were supposed to I guarantee were there till at least 2.
    I can attest to this. I got there 15 min before start time. There were already about 25 people there and I left around 1pm. Would've been there earlier if I didnt walk the wrong way in the first place and also didnt arrive on the wrong side of the building. Candidates after me probably left 2-3pm. Also depends on how many people are there. There were about 30 in my intake. There were about 15 in my friends intake.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BklynFDNY89 View Post
    Got my Medical the 4th & the Psych the 14th.. I'm 23xx.. Also my investigator told me the next class going in July.
    Pm me your investigator bc I was told by my investigator its July and then everyone else said June. One guy said may. I still think it's june.

Anyway they say you have a shot at the next academy? That's what matters most. When did you get your psych letter in the mail?

Forum Member

Cmon man why you gonna trash the one - or one of the only - dudes on here that give great advice to probies and aspiring probies alike. He's a patient contributor to the forum. Most of us probably plan on quitting the forum after we get a run letter but MM continues to be active and extend a hand to others.
    He might give some useful tips here and there, but he's pretty self-righteous. That's probably why he still contributes; to feel superior and be preachy.
    EKFCASPER likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grown Simba View Post
    This dude is obviously a troll. He's on this forum looking to get a reaction from people yet he's still trying to be a firefighter after bashing the job continuously. He's about the dollar not the dream and honor who only hides behind a computer for this. If it's not positive (that's with anything in life) it's best to just ignore. You feed him energy then you just give him a bigger sense of importance. I put money up he doesn't dare to say who he is when he gets in the academy though...
    Well, if you feel $39,370 is a good base pay and $76,488 is a good max pay while dealing with the cost of living in the NYC metro area, then you need to get your head checked.

See, I live in the real world and understand the real costs of living in NYC. Most going into the academy are young and blue collar, and they don't understand that. But once the checks arn't paying the bills, they'll probably start to see my point of view.

But then again, most would probably just be doing menial labor work anyway, so it's probably a step up for them. For some it isn't.

Forum Member

You are right, choose a different career.
    MuscleHamster and Grown Simba like this.

Forum Member

Well, if you feel $39,370 is a good base pay and $76,488 is a good max pay while dealing with the cost of living in the NYC metro area, then you need to get your head checked.

See, I live in the real world and understand the real costs of living in NYC. Most going into the academy are young and blue collar, and they don't understand that. But once the checks arn't paying the bills, they'll probably start to see my point of view.

But then again, most would probably just be doing menial labor work anyway, so it's probably a step up for them. For some it isn't.
    You're providing some real insight here S&M ... I'm real proud of ya.

How could I possibly comprehend the financial rigors of daily life in NYC ? I've only been living here my whole life ...

If this Job is a step down, why even consider it ? Turn it down and move on. Seems pretty simple.
    MuscleHamster likes this.

Forum Member

Yea man I would know myself too
    I've lived in this city my whole life. With that said, it's always overtime and enough free time to do a side job if need be. No one is here trying to buy a 3 floor loft in the heart of Manhattan or buy a mini mansion in the wonderful outskirts of Old Westbury or Long Island. This is a job that requires your heart to be in it before your financial desires. Any way you put it, if you really want to make over 100k you can, with this job alone or doing a good side job. if you're thinking that way then I think you should save your spot to the next dude that wants it forreal. Most dudes going in know what they're signing up for and if they don't, they have the academy for that. You keep mentioning these salary numbers and how living in nyc is a horror without the 6 figure salary but yet for some reason that's not persuading you to stop with the process. you should call 311 and complain about the salary and let us know how that goes. You also have the option to keep sitting on that desk of yours making the money you desire. Whatever makes you happy, Mr. Richard Nixon, Jr.
    4040clubBouncer and Test 2000 like this.

Forum Member

I

I think a lot of us are missing the point in this and going for the easy option this guy is leaving us with and that is to denounce his train of thought. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a civil servant in the city that couldn't use an increase in pay.

That being said; if you wish to discuss the lacking pay, make assumptions off of a photograph of probies and generally offer nothing but fodder for argument, then I suggest you begin a new forum. Maybe title it "FDNY wannabe has a problem with the way things are done and other half baked ramblings."

However, if you wish to take part in this forum "FDNY Exam 2000", I suggest you stick to what the forum is geared towards and that is a social exchange to offer insight for those who are lucky enough to earn this meager paycheck.

But what would I know? I was just raised on a civil service salary in Bay Ridge and then served in the Marine Corps, maybe that's a little too self-righteous for your liking.

Also, your assumption that most FDNY fireman are one job away from menial labor is not only offensive but so far from a reasoned and logical thought that I worry for the fireman who are unlucky enough to have you looking out for their seemingly menial a s s e s. I'm leaving a job that pays well over six figures and I'm bringing an MBA with me, and believe me, this isn't uncommon on this department. But gee whiz, I'm sure glad the FDNY has uplifted my social status to above an untouchable, a s s clown!
    Last edited by dwm326; Today at 08:37 AM.
    bklynmike91 and FDNY4LIFE718 like this.

Forum Member

He might give some useful tips here and there, but he's pretty self-righteous. That's probably why he still contributes; to feel superior and be preachy.
    Maybe the guy in question who was at parade rest wasn't given instructions and it's not really his fault, but still I think anybody whose been through a bootcamp type setting will tell you it sticks out like a sore thumb and just comes off as having no attention to detail.

All that aside, learning about the job and teaching stuff to the next generation is one of the most important parts of being on the job. I still post here when appropriate because I moved to the city knowing nobody and almost nothing about how to get on the job. I can appreciate how hard it is to navigate several years worth of city BS in trying to land the job. I still have almost no time on the job but I can certainly at least talk about the experience of getting on, getting through the academy, and being successful as a probie.

You think you're smarter than the rest of us and that you know better. It really sounds like you think the job is beneath you, so it does baffle me why you're even here. I think you enjoy trolling the forum a lot, but your day will come. If you aren't humbled by the academy the firehouse will see to it, they're good at what they do.
    dwm326 likes this.

Forum Member

Default Learn your facts

I still come on here every once in a while to see how you guys are hanging in there. I graduated in November and can honestly say that you are all going to love this job. The Academy is definitely tough but it's going to be worth it all in the long run. As far as the trolling goes you may want to get all your facts straight before posting on here it's getting a little ridiculous. The base pay that your referring to doesn't include any RSOT or holiday pay Your not on the job yet so you probably aren't aware of what RSOT is so I would suggest doing a little more research before talking our of your ***.
    Grown Simba likes this.

Forum Member

Pm me your investigator bc I was told by my investigator its July and then everyone else said June. One guy said may. I still think it's june.

Anyway they say you have a shot at the next academy? That's what matters most. When did you get your psych letter in the mail?
    Honestly dude, its been made clear over the past few classes that investigators don't know what's going on. I believe the next class gunna start in June as well because last winter class started on the 27 of January & this winter class started a whole month earlier. It wouldn't make sense for it to be in July. It may even start late May.

& I got my Medical about a week & a half ago & got my psych date the next day . I really hope to pass the medical the first shot because its hard to get days off from work. I'm jeopardizing my current position even taking 1 day >.< .
    4040clubBouncer likes this.

Forum Member

I put money up this guy probably never passed the medical and is upset because he's not going to get his shot. Why else would he spend so much time on here bashing the job? Get a life loser the FDNY doesn't want or need you.

Forum Member

This job is never or has never been about the money, its about the lifestyle .. I know when I get on, I will enjoy going to work every single day and you cant pay me in money for that.. seems corny but youll be rich in happiness not money from the words of my mentor .. im currently miserable at my current job
    Matador611 likes this.

Thread Information