Like Tree11943Likes

Thread: FDNY Exam 2000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNY4LIFE718 View Post
    I'll look into it again but I'm pretty sure thats the corporate number I called.
    Town sports international

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynmike91 View Post
    crap i have one sealed but i thought i needed it sent .. o well they will have two of mine ha
    Ha better to be overprrpared than under

Forum Member

Hey guys can anyone help clarify to me how the medical goes? Have it on tuesday, i have a good idea but id rather hear it from someone whos been through it

Forum Member

And the psychological while were at it

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyMedic92 View Post
    Hey guys can anyone help clarify to me how the medical goes? Have it on tuesday, i have a good idea but id rather hear it from someone whos been through it
    Show up at least 30 mins early (yes I know it starts early but you don't want to be the one who comes in late). You go over a bunch of forms in a packet that is handed to you by the guy in charge. You then go up to the medical floor and start the process (vision, hearing, pulmonary, stairs, etc). After everything is done you sit in a room and for those who failed the stairs you reschedule a day for you to come back within 30 days. You can not leave the metrotech building so pack a small lunch because they have a tiny store that doesn't have much food in th elobby. Everyone leaves together and be prepared to stay a full day. I think I remember leaving at 2 or 3.

Edit: I may be wrong about this but you need to also bring a money or get something notarized don't forget to bring that. I may be confusing it with something else sorry really long day.
    Last edited by fndyoneday; Yesterday at 08:21 PM.
    Grown Simba likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent_Majority View Post
    Excellent example.....both of those guys have since been terminated. One is a repeat felon. Keep up the good detective work....

The "teaching" you'll get in the firehouse will be very real, but hopefully you'll never know.

Stop making comparisons to this life and the private sector. We deal with lives here and in dangerous and demanding circumstances. Drilling and being tought with a tough hand is how we learn. It's also how we test your will. If you can take some tough-love in the firehouse, perhaps you'll be more reliable under the pressure of a real fire or emergency.

Another thing to remember is the fact that this organization has operated with distinction and earned it's reputation as being the most effective fire department anyone can ask for. I didn't create that reputation, 150 years of people before me did. We all just hope to continue to carry the torch. Nothing happens to anyone that didn't happen to anyone before them. What do you want? Sympathy? A gentler hand? You won't get that from any of us. I've been around for 8 years and I still get my chops busted everyday, like everyone else. It's all part of the family love that we're lucky enough to share.

Change for this job, this life. Don't expect it to change for you.

It's a unique environment, that you know nothing about. So please, stop with the know-it-all statements.
    Last edited by FDsouthbxNY; Yesterday at 10:28 PM.
    Matador611 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FdnyMedic92 View Post
    You'll spend essentially half the day there. You'll go through the standard battery of tests (as you will every year for the duration of your career). The include the following:

Pulmonary
    EKG
    Eye test
    hearing test
    vaccinations
    height/weight
    heart rate (stair-master)
    urinalysis
    health survey
    Doctor Consult at the end to review your results

Most common reasons for failing:
    Heart rate exceeds 90% of max
    over weight

You need to keep your weight in check or they'll bring you back again in 30 days. The same holds true for the stairs and your heart rate. If you fail (and many do), you'll be brought back in 30 +/- days. They'll run you through those again with a closer eye.
    Matador611 and Grown Simba like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynmike91 View Post
    crap i have one sealed but i thought i needed it sent .. o well they will have two of mine ha
    Better for you. They prefer it sent from the college but if it happened to get lost in the mail or whatever, you have your backup.

Thread Information